Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's TW zypper dup -l wipes grub and boots to white screen????

Default Today's TW zypper dup -l wipes grub and boots to white screen????

Folks:

A few days back running a zypper in Leap 15.3 on a laptop did a similar problem of wiping grub and booting into the whiteness, this morning in my main channel TW distro on my desktop brought same problem after a "546 package" upgrade . . . possibly a kernel upgrade so it requested reboot, TW should have been top listing on grub . . . instead it went into the infinite whiteness?????

Didn't have time to mess with the "shim" file renaming suggested for the Leap 15.3 problem, even less time for it over in my main squeeze desktop, since there are five other linux distros to choose from . . . except now "grub" is gone . . . I had to revert to OSX to get some tasks taken care of . . . .

Seems like the last 5 months or so, the zypper updates have been a "wild card" on the results, rather than "business as usual, nice and tidy." Why is this happening, seemingly over and over stuff is breaking in upgrades rather than . . . um . . . "upgrading"????

Blog Entries

Default Re: Today's TW zypper dup -l wipes grub and boots to white screen????

Hi
    No issues like that here with Tumbleweed and GNOME..... graphics card?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    No issues like that here with Tumbleweed and GNOME..... graphics card?
    @malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the reply . . . well, this is "multi-boot" but on this '12 Mac Pro machine I have nvidia GTX 780 card, and on my olden '09 MacBookPro it also has nvidia graphics card. The other day @nrickert diagnosed the issue having to do with the "shim" file that got renamed or messed up in the latest upgrades, for the EFI boot arena . . . I'm assuming that today's problem is due to the same problem. It's a little bit beyond my lowly pay grade to try to find those files in the installer media and then move them into the present install, and then rename them . . . or what-have-you.

Other posters had the same issue back a few days ago in this sub-forum, and I added myself into one thread, I was "hoping" that the TW files would have adjusted themselves by now, but seemingly not. I was also hoping that running the "os-prober" or running the opensuse version of "grub-update" would fix the problem??

My Supergrub2 disk is buried away in the laptop with the Leap 15.3 broke down system, so I'll have to dig it out and try to get back into TW . . . later in the day . . . . : - (

Blog Entries

Hi
    I'm assuming it's hybrid (intel/nvidia) or pure nvidia? Proprietary driver or oss?

Hi
    I'm assuming it's hybrid (intel/nvidia) or pure nvidia? Proprietary driver or oss?
    @malcolmlewis:

In the desktop it's a flashed card to run on Mac, pure nvidia . . . using "default" as the driver. The proprietary driver isn't really being upgraded for to quote their linux tech guy, "that old card" . . . one of the gents here suggested going "default" and it's been working fine.

In the meanwhile, I had fished the SG2 disk out and managed to boot into TW and I both ran Yast bootloader, followed by the "grub2-mkconfig xxxxxxxx" command, which in the past has restored grub function to show the 5 or 6 linux options . . . this time, no, that didn't fix it . . . rebooted into the white, O the whiteness.

Back over in OSX to post this reply.

Guyz??

My question is, will there be a "fix" for this issue coming down the tubes ASAP?

My feeling is that if I wasn't "experimenting" with my system, other than running TW, and this problem showed up in two different computers **after** running "zypper" . . . that there would be a "solution" provided by those folks who created the problem, rather than taking personal time to try to figure it out . . . only to have it busted up again in a future zypper dup???

The problem with "grub" has been floating around in ubuntu for at least a year . . . has that approach drifted over into OpenSUSE, such that there are problems with "EFI" and multi-boot coordination???

Blog Entries

Hi
    Check the efi entries via efibootmgr at boot add the grub option nomodeset (press e at boot screen and add at the end of the linuxefi line), see if that gets past the white screen. I think I struck something like that way back on my MacBook 2007, but that has all intel....

Hi
    Check the efi entries via efibootmgr at boot add the grub option nomodeset (press e at boot screen and add at the end of the linuxefi line), see if that gets past the white screen. I think I struck something like that way back on my MacBook 2007, but that has all intel....
    @malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the hints . . . the problem was that there was no "grub" window to press "e" in. Now, I've fiddled with SG2 "enable all disk drivers experimental" and out of the 5 or 6 options in linux to choose from, it boots only Linux Mint . . . . I'm not sure if this is relating to video driver stuff, but some of the "efi" or "EFI" files have been messed with? Because in SG2 there are a lot of options showing for various "efi_64" . . . but they don't don't anything. So far only the "vmlinuz" options seem to get me into a system . . . now I'm over in Gecko, which is "next door" to TW . . . .

But, seemingly the "Boot order" has been adjusted in the "efibootmgr" listings, because before yesterday TW was the number one slot, TW was the "controller" . . . but it seems to have relinquished it's position??? I believe that 0000 is Linux Mint . . . but again, there is no "grub menu" window that opens on cold boot . . . I believe it's going to a "grub error" TTY and then it auto-boots into LM; previously TW did a good job of handling grub functions, now it's dropped the grub ball . . . . If I want to get into something other than LM I have to use SG2 disk and find a "vmlinuz" option.

Code:
    sudo efibootmgr
    [sudo] password for root: 
    BootCurrent: 0000
    BootOrder: 0010,0008,0000,000F,000A,0006,0005,0004,0007,000E,000C,000B,0009,0080,000D,0003,0001,0002
    Boot0000* ubuntu
    Boot0001* opensusetw
    Boot0002* grub
    Boot0003* lubuntu1910
    Boot0004* grub-secureboot
    Boot0005* opensuse-secureboot
    Boot0006* tumbleweed-secureboot
    Boot0007* opensusetw-secureboot
    Boot0008* ubuntu
    Boot0009* ubuntu
    Boot000A* opensusetw-secureboot
    Boot000B* opensuse-secureboot
    Boot000C* tumbleweed-secureboot
    Boot000D* Debian
    Boot000E* debian
    Boot000F* ubuntu
    Boot0010* ubuntu
    Boot0080* Mac OS X
    Boot0081* Mac OS X
    Boot0082* 
    BootFFFF*

Blog Entries

Hi
    If you use the -v option with efibootmgr it will show where things are pointing too as well and check files exists in those locations.

If you hold the command key down at the boot sound, you should get to the OSx boot menu and be able to select the efi file to boot from for the EFI folder.

Hi
    If you use the -v option with efibootmgr it will show where things are pointing too as well and check files exists in those locations.

If you hold the command key down at the boot sound, you should get to the OSx boot menu and be able to select the efi file to boot from for the EFI folder.
    @malcolmlewis:

I ran the -v option and it shows a bunch of data, seemingly hooking up to "shim" and "EFI" folders . . . but that is like "Greek" to me.

As far as the "command" key, I believe you are meaning the "alt/option" key to bring up OSX boot manager . . . previously to this latest problem TW set up the grub menu to open on cold boot . . . but as far as the "EFI boot" disk goes, OSX doesn't play well with others so awhile back the four "EFI boot" disks for the 4 drives available . . . got "worked over" by OSX at some point, now only one of them works to boot into . . . LM.

I've been trying to do this the "easy way" by running "grub2-mkconfig" just now in Gecko, but something tells me that isn't going to "fix it" . . . . We'll see on reboot . . . gotta do some real work for a bit . . . . In the past when OSX busted up the grub menu I had to chroot over into TW to get it to run os-prober, and that seemed to work . . . so far running Yast and os-prober while booted in TW or Gecko has not fixed this "shim" problem . . . .

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast