chkconfig command is gone

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Today I’ve noticed that on openSUSE Tumbleweed, the chkconfig command is gone. This is bad because it breaks the /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install [FONT=arial]script. On Leap 15.2 and 15.3, [/FONT][FONT=arial][FONT=monospace]chkconfig is in the aaa_base package. On Tumbleweed, I recently needed to install a separate package to make [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=monospace]chkconfig [FONT=arial]available (I don’t remember which one). [/FONT][/FONT]Now the [FONT=arial][FONT=monospace]chkconfig [/FONT][/FONT]command is gone on disk and it is no longer available in any package. What is the best solution to this problem?

Kind regards,
Axel

Interesting.

I never knew that there was a “chkconfig” command, so I won’t miss it.

From looking at the man page on Leap 15.2, it looks as if it comes from the older systemv way of handling services. I would think that “systemctl” is the better way of handling those.

Hi
I guess insserv-compat got dropped…

rpm -q aaa_base --changelog | grep chkconfig
  * Move chkconfig to insserv-compat, as most functionality isn't supported anymore since we have different solutions with systemd.

A noarch download… grab the src rpm as well :wink:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/Base:System/insserv-compat/openSUSE_Factory

cat > /usr/sbin/chkconfig <<\\EOF
#!/bin/sh
cat >&2 <<_EndOfText
This command ($0) is obsolete.
Request help via "man systemctl"
_EndOfText
EOF

If someone is going to obsolete a command, for crying out loud, leave some breadcrumbs around so everybody doesn’t have to Google their way to a resolution. I’ve been using “ifconfig” for FORTY years and someone decided it would be better to have it go by a new name.

Well, I didn’t know either before I tried

systemctl enable stor_redfishserver

which gave the result

stor_redfishserver.service is not a native service, redirecting to systemd-sysv-install. 
Executing: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable stor_redfishserver 
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install: Zeile 31: chkconfig: Kommando nicht gefunden.

Well, I guess I will have to compile the command from source then or learn how to create a native systemd configuration file…

Many thanks for everyone’s helpful comments! :slight_smile:

No. What you should do if you really care is to open bug report. insserv-compat was deleted in request Request 870278: Delete insserv-compat - openSUSE Build Service (and later in 880069) because

All consumers of insserv-compat in Factory have been modified so they do not rely on this package anymore.

This is obviously wrong, we have consumer that actually depends on this package. So either systemd must be fixed to not rely on chkconfig or chkconfig needs to return.

Hello team!
Same problem :frowning: and as results I can’t install service in autostart.

sudo systemctl enable resilio-sync 
Synchronizing state of resilio-sync.service with SysV service script with /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install. 
Executing: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable resilio-sync 
/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install: line 31: chkconfig: command not found

ironically, today I removed my well-configured system based on *ubuntu, I got tired of its problems and decided to choose openSUSE as the most reliable distribution, according to the recommendations… but it’s not that simple.

You seriously believe that adding “me too” to this thread is going to fix anything?

Hello! Do you have any advice in this situation? I bought a new Thinkpad P14s and the situation is that it is so new that it can only work fine in Ubuntu 21.04 (Kubuntu contains surprisingly many bugs), and I thought to choose openSUSE. If anything, I didn’t want to offend anyone with my message.

is there any other way to add the service to auto-upload? Temporarily, this would solve my problem, because the rest of the moments work and I am satisfied with it.

Thanks.

BTW: I always refrained from looking into SysV init.d scripts when openSUSE used these. Moving everything to systemd is the preferred solution. It’s so simple!

Searching for stor_redfishserver I found https://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/readme/adaptec_smarthba_smartraid_relnotes_10_2019.pdf and in that I read:

service stor_redfishserver stop

So maybe it is just a matter of updating the software of the SmartHBA//SmartRAID