Thread: Leap and Windows Grub configuration.

Default Leap and Windows Grub configuration.

I have Leap on a separate HDD(older PATA on a PCI card) with Win 10 and win 7 on a newer SATA HDD.

If I remove win 10, what do I have to do to have Grub recognize win 7?
    Can I copy leap to the Win10 partition and have Grub menu Leap default with Win7 as alternate selection?

I know win 7 is beyond EOL but I only need it for iTunes for loading music on my Apple devices.
    (Unless there is a way to do that in Leap without having to put in a virtual windows or Wine).

ideally, I want to get that old PATA drive and the PCI card it is on out of the tower.

I am considering moving Leap to the current windows SATA HDD, but am not sure of the process to have Grub still recognize Leap & Win 7.

I would like to move and keep Leap as it is without reinstall.

Easy? or am I sticking my hand in a wringer and causing problems with both OS’s?
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.2, Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.2 & Win10, HP AiO Leap 15.2.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Default Re: Leap and Windows Grub configuration.

All OS that use the same boot method should be seen. ie all EFI or all MBR boot. If not try running Yast Boot loader and be sure to check scan for foreign OS

Check which boot process you are using: legacy boot or UEFI.
    I recommend UEFI + GPT for placing Win 7 + Leap on a single SATA drive.

Image #1 - https://susepaste.org/84789105

Image #2 - https://susepaste.org/75798414

My HP CMT desktop is legacy. UEFI not possible on that machine.

Image 1 is the HDD holding Leap 15.2
    Image 2 is the HDD holding Windows 10, Windows 7, the 'system reserved' partitions and a storage partition.

I would like to copy/clone/??? the Leap 15.2 Partitions into the area on the Windows 10 partition( image #2 - /dev/sdb2 ). And keep WIndows 7 and the storage drive. I assume the system reserved partition will have to stay where it is (image 2).

I would just install it there, but am afraid of running onto boot conflicts trying to move all my documents/downloads/pictures/etc after an install.

Is there a good procedure I can use to help me accomplish what I ant to do??
    And is there a Linux tool that ill let me do it?

I still want Grub to default to Leap after all is did and done.
    POSSIBLE? EASILY POSSIBLE?
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    If I remove win 10, what do I have to do to have Grub recognize win 7?
    Actually nothing special. As long as Windows loader for Windows 7 remains, os-prober should detect it. I have no idea how to "remove Windows 10 leaving Windows 7 bootable", you will need to ask on Windows forums.
    Can I copy leap to the Win10 partition and have Grub menu Leap default with Win7 as alternate selection?
    Yes, that is what normally happens when you install Linux on existing Windows system.

I found this article about using dd to clone/backup a hard drive.
    https://www.suse.com/c/clone-or-backup-your-hard-disk/

It indicates I can use dd to 'copy/clone' my PATA drive to the SATA drive. I know it will take a lot of time.

But, should I remove the PATA drive from the machine before trying to run from the 'cloned' SATA drive.
    I think I read somewhere that a conflict will occur because the partiton UUID's are the same in the original and the clone.

Still seeking help for this.

Blog Entries

I found this article about using dd to clone/backup a hard drive.
    https://www.suse.com/c/clone-or-backup-your-hard-disk/

It indicates I can use dd to 'copy/clone' my PATA drive to the SATA drive. I know it will take a lot of time.

But, should I remove the PATA drive from the machine before trying to run from the 'cloned' SATA drive.
    I think I read somewhere that a conflict will occur because the partiton UUID's are the same in the original and the clone.

Still seeking help for this.
    Use btrfstune to resolve conflicts.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Use btrfstune to resolve conflicts.
    Thanks for the response.
    I will have to study on that, since I don’t use the BTRFS file system. I know it should work for what I want to do, but, it is getting to the point that installing fresh on the SATA drive will be easier?
    I just hate to have to get the system to where I want it AGAIN.

Blog Entries

I will have to study on that, since I don’t use the BTRFS file system. I know it should work for what I want to do, but, it is getting to the point that installing fresh on the SATA drive will be easier?
    It depends. Cloning or mirroring a partition is easy at least if you have already done it. For ext4 use ' tune2fs -U'.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5