Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Akonadi doesn't start, crashes by start from console

Question Re: Akonadi doesn't start, crashes by start from console

Quote Originally Posted by wodenhof View Post
    Is it possible to repair the database and if so, how?
    What are the contents of ‘/run/user/1000/akonadi/’ ?
    • It should look like this –

Code:
     > file /run/user/1000/akonadi/*
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/akonadiserver-cmd.socket: socket
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/akonadiserver-ntf.socket: socket
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid:                ASCII text
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket:             socket
     >
    The active Akonadi processes and MySQL daemon should look like this – “ps -ef” –
    Code:
    UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
    xxx      25880     1  0 17:09 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
    xxx      25888 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:02 /usr/bin/akonadiserver
    xxx      25899 25888  0 17:09 ?        00:00:06 /usr/sbin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/xxx/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --datadir=/home/xxx/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket --pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid
    xxx      25962 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_akonotes_resource --identifier akonadi_akonotes_resource_0
    xxx      25963 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_archivemail_agent --identifier akonadi_archivemail_agent
    xxx      25964 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_birthdays_resource --identifier akonadi_birthdays_resource
    xxx      25965 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_contacts_resource --identifier akonadi_contacts_resource_0
    xxx      25966 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_followupreminder_agent --identifier akonadi_followupreminder_agent
    xxx      25967 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_icaldir_resource --identifier akonadi_icaldir_resource_0
    xxx      26004 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_indexing_agent --identifier akonadi_indexing_agent
    xxx      26006 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildir_resource --identifier akonadi_maildir_resource_0
    xxx      26036 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
    xxx      26039 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_mailfilter_agent --identifier akonadi_mailfilter_agent
    xxx      26045 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier akonadi_migration_agent
    xxx      26049 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
    xxx      26053 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_notes_agent --identifier akonadi_notes_agent
    xxx      26057 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_pop3_resource --identifier akonadi_pop3_resource_0
    xxx      26109 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_sendlater_agent --identifier akonadi_sendlater_agent
    xxx      26112 25880  0 17:09 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent --identifier akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent
    Make sure that, the MySQL daemon has valid “defaults-file”, “datadir”, “socket” and “pid-file” attributes.

Repairing the database – install the “akonadiconsole” package and run “/usr/bin/akonadiconsole” from a KDE Plasma Konsole window –
    • Walk through the database checking for erroneous records.

Default Re: Akonadi doesn't start, crashes by start from console

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    What are the contents of ‘/run/user/1000/akonadi/’ ?
    • It should look like this –

Code:
     > file /run/user/1000/akonadi/*
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/akonadiserver-cmd.socket: socket
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/akonadiserver-ntf.socket: socket
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid:                ASCII text
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket:             socket
     >
    No luck, but since Akonadi crashes shortly after starting it is not running...
    Code:
    me@PC:~> file /run/user/1000/akonadi/* 
    /run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid: ASCII text 

me@PC:~> akonadictl status 
    Akonadi Control: stopped 
    Akonadi Server: stopped 
    Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search, Akonadi Search Plugin) 
    Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupwa
    re_resource, akonadi_ews_resource, akonadi_ewsmta_resource, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_google_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_ic
    aldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_indexing_agent, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_knut_resource, akonadi_ko
    lab_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mailmerge_agent, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonad
    i_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_reso
    urce, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_tomboynotes_resource, akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcar
    ddir_resource 
    me@PC:~>

The active Akonadi processes and MySQL daemon should look like this – “ps -ef” –
    Well, it is not running, so:
    Code:
    me@PC:~> ps -ef | grep -i akonadi 
    me  4599  4480  0 15:42 pts/1    00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i akonadi

Make sure that, the MySQL daemon has valid “defaults-file”, “datadir”, “socket” and “pid-file” attributes.
    Umm, how do I do that? Sorry to be so dense... And

Code:
    me@PC:~> systemctl status mysql 
    ● mariadb.service - MariaDB database server 
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled) 
         Active: inactive (dead) 
           Docs: man:mysqld(8) 
                 https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/systemd/ 

Repairing the database – install the “akonadiconsole” package and run “/usr/bin/akonadiconsole” from a KDE Plasma Konsole window –
    • Walk through the database checking for erroneous records.
    I'll try that next. Have to leave for the moment. Thanks again for your help.

Akonadicontrol refuses to work, since akonadi crashed. It also won't budge when asked to show the details of the error.

So Thunderbird?

So Thunderbird?
    Which ever way you go, you'll have to move your existing e-Mail traffic over to the new e-Mail Client.
    • One last time – create a new fresh user – create a new fresh KMail Client; followed by a new fresh KAdressbook Client; followed by a new fresh Korganiser Client; followed by a new fresh Akregator Client – then start Kontact.

If that is successful, you may have to re-create your existing user – first move the entire contents of your existing user's Home directory to a new location; including the hidden files and directories – then copy the contents of ‘/etc/skel/’ to the existing user's Home directory and have that user login again.
    • Setup everything; move the contents of the non-hidden directories back to the affected user's Home directory.

Which ever way you go, you'll have to move your existing e-Mail traffic over to the new e-Mail Client.
    • One last time – create a new fresh user – create a new fresh KMail Client; followed by a new fresh KAdressbook Client; followed by a new fresh Korganiser Client; followed by a new fresh Akregator Client – then start Kontact.

If that is successful, you may have to re-create your existing user – first move the entire contents of your existing user's Home directory to a new location; including the hidden files and directories – then copy the contents of ‘/etc/skel/’ to the existing user's Home directory and have that user login again.
    • Setup everything; move the contents of the non-hidden directories back to the affected user's Home directory.
    Beware! E.g. my mails sit here:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # du -hd0 /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/ 
    5.1G    /home/karl/.local/share/local-mail/ 
    erlangen:~ #

AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

So they do on my machine. Thanks karlmistelberger, and sorry for not answering sooner. I had given up. I am now on Thunderbird and I was wondering whether it is possible to load these mails into it?

So they do on my machine. Thanks karlmistelberger, and sorry for not answering sooner. I had given up. I am now on Thunderbird and I was wondering whether it is possible to load these mails into it?
    Thunderbird has an import function. On the other hand fixing akonadi is easy. Have a backup. Delete everything related to akonadi ('find -name '*akonadi*') and contents of .local/share/baloo/email/. Invoking 'akonadiconsole' will create data from scratch.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Thunderbird has an import function. On the other hand fixing akonadi is easy. Have a backup. Delete everything related to akonadi ('find -name '*akonadi*') and contents of .local/share/baloo/email/. Invoking 'akonadiconsole' will create data from scratch.
    Tried importing my Mails: Error: No Mails to import found...

As to your suggestion to build from scratch: I deleted everything you suggested and started akonadiconsole. First comes a popup saying

Code:
    "Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Es kann keine Verbindung aufgebaut werden"
    Then come messages in the terminal:

Code:
    me@PC:~> akonadiconsole 
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString) 
    Found no modules in speech-dispatcher. No text to speech possible. 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server... 
    Please register the custom scheme 'cid' via QWebEngineUrlScheme::registerScheme() before installing the custom scheme handler. 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: database server stopped unexpectedly 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection! 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: executable: "/usr/sbin/mysqld" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/matthias/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/matthias/.local/share/akonad
    i/db_data/", "--socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket", "--pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid") 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stdout: "" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: "2021-07-19 13:44:34 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.5.10-MariaDB) starting as process 5650 ...\n" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: exit code: 6 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: process error: "Process crashed" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer... 
    org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver' exited normally... 
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Job error:  "" for collection: QVector()

Here it stops. After I clicked "OK" on the popup, the popup came again, so "OK" again and then a new one asking whether it should start akonadi, so third "OK". Then akonadiconsole started and told me that akonadi doesn't work correctly again asking whether it should start akonadi . And there it hangs, akonadi wont start. Clicking on "details" brings no new screen.

I also started kontact, to no avail. Lastly some more messages in the terminal:

Code:
    QSqlQuery::prepare: database not open 
    QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'qt_sql_default_connection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work. 
    org.kde.pim.akonadi_search_xapian: Xapian Database does not exist at  "/home/matthias/.local/share/baloo/email/" 
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString) 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection! 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: arguments: ("--defaults-file=/home/matthias/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf", "--datadir=/home/matthias/.local/share/akonad
    i/db_data/", "--socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket", "--pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid") 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: "2021-07-19 13:50:12 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.5.10-MariaDB) starting as process 6218 ...\n" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver' exited normally... 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: "2021-07-19 13:50:53 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.5.10-MariaDB) starting as process 6381 ...\n" 

Can you see a solution?

P.S.: Again, sorry for being tardy, I fought with my annual tax declaration .

As to your suggestion to build from scratch: I deleted everything you suggested and started akonadiconsole. First comes a popup saying

Code:
    "Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Es kann keine Verbindung aufgebaut werden"
    Then come messages in the terminal:

Code:
    me@PC:~> akonadiconsole 
    Found no modules in speech-dispatcher. No text to speech possible. 
    Please register the custom scheme 'cid' via QWebEngineUrlScheme::registerScheme() before installing the custom scheme handler. 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: stderr: "2021-07-19 13:44:34 0 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld (mysqld 10.5.10-MariaDB) starting as process 5650 ...\n" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file 
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "" 
    org.kde.pim.akonadicore: Job error:  "" for collection: QVector()

Here it stops. After I clicked "OK" on the popup, the popup came again, so "OK" again and then a new one asking whether it should start akonadi, so third "OK". Then akonadiconsole started and told me that akonadi doesn't work correctly again asking whether it should start akonadi . And there it hangs, akonadi wont start. Clicking on "details" brings no new screen.

Can you see a solution?
    Whenever you login to KDE akonadi starts automatically:
    Code:
    karl@erlangen:~> systemd-cgls /sys/fs/cgroup/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/app.slice/app-\\x2fusr\\x2fbin\\x2fkorgac-f921facc3462421690e2a0ea70d1024e.scope/ 
    Directory /sys/fs/cgroup/user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/app.slice/app-\x2fusr\x2fbin\x2fkorgac-f921facc3462421690e2a0ea70d1024e.scope/: 
    ├─1506 /usr/bin/korgac -session 10d3d9d1cf000153933861800000022430008_1626585722_278559
    ├─1536 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
    ├─1540 /usr/bin/akonadiserver
    ├─1545 /usr/sbin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/karl/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --datadir=/home/karl/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.socket --pid-file=/run/user/1000/akonadi/mysql.pid
    ├─1700 /usr/bin/akonadi_akonotes_resource --identifier akonadi_akonotes_resource_0
    ├─1701 /usr/bin/akonadi_archivemail_agent --identifier akonadi_archivemail_agent
    ├─1702 /usr/bin/akonadi_birthdays_resource --identifier akonadi_birthdays_resource
    ├─1703 /usr/bin/akonadi_contacts_resource --identifier akonadi_contacts_resource_0
    ├─1704 /usr/bin/akonadi_followupreminder_agent --identifier akonadi_followupreminder_agent
    ├─1705 /usr/bin/akonadi_ical_resource --identifier akonadi_ical_resource_0
    ├─1706 /usr/bin/akonadi_indexing_agent --identifier akonadi_indexing_agent
    ├─1710 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildir_resource --identifier akonadi_maildir_resource_0
    ├─1713 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildir_resource --identifier akonadi_maildir_resource_20
    ├─1714 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
    ├─1735 /usr/bin/akonadi_mailfilter_agent --identifier akonadi_mailfilter_agent
    ├─1736 /usr/bin/akonadi_mailmerge_agent --identifier akonadi_mailmerge_agent
    ├─1737 /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier akonadi_migration_agent
    ├─1741 /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
    ├─1745 /usr/bin/akonadi_notes_agent --identifier akonadi_notes_agent
    ├─1749 /usr/bin/akonadi_sendlater_agent --identifier akonadi_sendlater_agent
    └─1758 /usr/bin/akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent --identifier akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent
    karl@erlangen:~> 
    For a pristine start you need stop all of the above processes. If unsure how to proceed with troubleshooting create a new user and test korgac / kmail first. Then mirror your original mail storage on new user and test with mirrored data.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234