Thread: A Quick Question About Btrfs Snapshots

Question A Quick Question About Btrfs Snapshots

When you remove a file from a snapshotted folder, does snapshots still take up full space, that this file used to take up (until snapshots where this file was present are deleted)?

I was compiling a custom kernel, and it generated a 20 GB of files in /usr/src. I didn't need those files anymore, so I deleted them, but it didn't free up any space. However, when I deleted snapshots, around this amount of space was freed up. This is why I am asking.

Default Re: A Quick Question About Snapshots

Are you meaning Btrfs snapshots? Remind that "snapshot" is a rather general term used in many areas in computing.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Are you meaning Btrfs snapshots? Remind that "snapshot" is a rather general term used in many areas in computing.
    Yes, I mean btrfs snapshots.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Yes, I mean btrfs snapshots.
    I changed the subject for you. I assume that avoids confusion with e.g. Tumbleweed Snapshots.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: A Quick Question About Btrfs Snapshots

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    When you remove a file from a snapshotted folder, does snapshots still take up full space, that this file used to take up (until snapshots where this file was present are deleted)?
    Yes. That is the whole reason of snapshot - to preserve the content of file system at the point in time snapshot was taken.

Default Re: A Quick Question About Btrfs Snapshots

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Yes. That is the whole reason of snapshot - to preserve the content of file system at the point in time snapshot was taken.
    OK, thank you! I though that in snapshots previous states might be compressed or somehow optimized, so that they don't take up full space that deleted files used to take up.