Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Failed to Boot to Graphics

  1. #1

    Default Failed to Boot to Graphics

    I upgraded from 15.1 to 15.2 using the network method. There was one checksum error with libswscale4, but I typed in the first four characters of the checksum to let it continue. I figured it would be replaced by a more up-to-date package from packman instead of the main update repo anyway.

    No problems with grub2. Once a kernel is selected, no problem with seeing the updating three dots, nor switching to see loading logs.

    % more /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the system's kernel log for additional error messages..."
    ...
    "No devices detected."
    ...
    "no screens found(EE)"

    % lsmod | grep nvidia

    returned nothing, which probably means the kernel module didn't load.

    % uname -r

    5.3.18-lp152.72-preempt

    I'm using an older Nvidia GT240 card, which only has the nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default module, not a -preempt version, like for G04 and G05. Using "zypper se nvidia-*G03*" does list the packages installed (i+).

    By default, it appears that 15.2 sets grub2 to use the -preempt kernels, so my suspicion is that I need to switch grub2 to use the -default kernel.

    I backed up /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and modified it to load -default instead of -preempt, which worked, but the nvidia kernel module still doesn't load. lsmod still doesn't have nvidia listed.

    Oh, startx says "/usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, maybe that's the reason?"

    -----

    1. How do I properly configure grub2 to list the three -default kernels instead of the -preempt ones? grub2 currently only lists three choices, though I do see the -default ones as menuentry's in the cfg file. I think I'll need the -default kernels, as Nvidia doesn't provide for -preempt for G03 era cards.

    2. Why isn't the nvidia kernel module being loaded? nouveau is blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf and nvidia-default.conf. Usually a conflict there causes the nvidia drivers not to load?

    3. What other checks can I do to get the GUI up?

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,081
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    There was one checksum error with libswscale4, but I typed in the first four characters of the checksum to let it continue.
    I never do that. On the rare occasions where I get a checksum error, I cancel and then try again a few hours later.

    In your case, it looks as if the real problem is with the Nvidia drivers. Do you use "secure-boot". If you do, then try turning that off and see if the graphics comes up that way.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    851

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    What's the version of your Nvidia driver?
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep nvidia
    the latest driver from cuda repository 465.* does not come with proper MOK keys and will fail to load unless if you disable secure boot as nrickert said.

    To answer 1. just delete the preempt
    2. try looking at the kernel log as it says
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i nvidia
    3. Try starting x and look at the error codes.
    Code:
    startx

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    I'm using an older Nvidia GT240 card, which only has the nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default module, not a -preempt version, like for G04 and G05. Using "zypper se nvidia-*G03*" does list the packages installed (i+).
    How did you manage that? Is it a patched version? Normally, G03 is not available in Leap 15.2.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    No problems with grub2. Once a kernel is selected, no problem with seeing the updating three dots, nor switching to see loading logs.

    % more /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the system's kernel log for additional error messages..."
    ...
    "No devices detected."
    ...
    "no screens found(EE)"

    % lsmod | grep nvidia

    returned nothing, which probably means the kernel module didn't load.

    % uname -r

    5.3.18-lp152.72-preempt

    I'm using an older Nvidia GT240 card, which only has the nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default module
    ...

    1. How do I properly configure grub2 to list the three -default kernels instead of the -preempt ones? grub2 currently only lists three choices, though I do see the -default ones as menuentry's in the cfg file. I think I'll need the -default kernels, as Nvidia doesn't provide for -preempt for G03 era cards.

    2. Why isn't the nvidia kernel module being loaded? nouveau is blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf and nvidia-default.conf. Usually a conflict there causes the nvidia drivers not to load?

    3. What other checks can I do to get the GUI up?
    ILL updater installs nouveau drivers, but OS cannot use it because of settings for Nvidia drivers is not wiped off, and nouveau driver is being blacklisted...
    mrmazda will say that modesetting driver is all that you need...
    Try to load OS with kernel parameter "nomodeset".
    Nvidia GT240 is not supported by a Leap 15.2+. It is better to change video card.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I never do that. On the rare occasions where I get a checksum error, I cancel and then try again a few hours later.

    In your case, it looks as if the real problem is with the Nvidia drivers. Do you use "secure-boot". If you do, then try turning that off and see if the graphics comes up that way.
    I've never encountered that before and the install was right in the middle of downloading, and since I opted for "update in heaps", instead of "download all first", I thought I might mess things up if I didn't continue. (Quickly looking up the package said it had to do with ffmpeg and I knew I would add packman later, which typically has more up-to-date packages with ffmpeg, so I wasn't concerned.) I wasn't watching the update the whole time, as there were something like 3400 packages, so didn't know if some packages had been installed or not. 15.0 to 15.1 went super smooth so I guess I was lulled into thinking 15.2 wasn't going to be an issue with graphics cards.

    I know I didn't active secure-boot, so unless it's something new by default, it's not on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,081
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxvinh View Post
    I know I didn't active secure-boot, so unless it's something new by default, it's not on.
    I asked, because Leap 15.2 is checking driver signatures. Earlier Leap versions didn't do that.

    From earlier comments in this thread, it looks as if you have an older driver installed, which is not compatible with this kernel. I'll leave it to people more experienced with Nvidia drivers to try to help you.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  8. #8

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    What's the version of your Nvidia driver?
    Code:
    rpm -qa |grep nvidia
    the latest driver from cuda repository 465.* does not come with proper MOK keys and will fail to load unless if you disable secure boot as nrickert said.

    To answer 1. just delete the preempt
    2. try looking at the kernel log as it says
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i nvidia
    3. Try starting x and look at the error codes.
    Code:
    startx
    I guess this is pretty glaring that I don't have 15.2 drivers...

    % rpm -qa | grep nvidia

    nvidia-glG03-340.108-lp151.26.1.x86_64
    nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default-340.108_k4.12.14_lp151.27-lp151.26.1.x86_64
    x11-video-nvidiaG03-340.108-lp151.26.1.x86_64
    nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-default-340.108_k4.12.14_lp151.27.26.1.x86_64
    nvidia-computeG03-340.108-lp151.26.1.x86_64

    1. Delete, as in uninstall the preempt kernel packages? Would that also properly trigger a grub.cfg rebuild?
    2. Sorry I can't copy/paste verbatim, as I'm typing this on another computer and the above was already difficult to check to accuracy...

    input: HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00:06.0/0000:0a:00.1/sound/card1/input24
    [four lines similar with different pcm and input numbers]
    audit: type=1400 audit(1619133343.982:4): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=936 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [another line similar, but name="nvidia_modprobe//kmod"]

    3. startx errors...

    modprobe: ERROR: could not find module by name='nvidia'
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    [two times the two above lines]
    (EE) Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found(EE)
    (EE) Please consult The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org for help.
    (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
    (EE) VGA Arbitration: Cannot restore default device.
    (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Cannot assign requested address
    xinit: server error
    xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, maybe that's the reason?
    If so either use a display manager (strongly recommended) or adjust /etc/permissions.local and run "chkstat --system --set" afterwards

    So we can pretty much conclude that I don't have the 15.2 drivers. I do have the Nvidia repo enabled, but I guess the pre-built drivers are not being provided by Nvidia anymore? Would it be possible for me to install the Nvidia driver the "hard way"?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    How did you manage that? Is it a patched version? Normally, G03 is not available in Leap 15.2.
    I did a network update? Which doesn't clean up? (from what I've read)

    Since you mentioned patched version, does that mean I can install the Nvidia driver the "hard way"?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Failed to Boot to Graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    ILL updater installs nouveau drivers, but OS cannot use it because of settings for Nvidia drivers is not wiped off, and nouveau driver is being blacklisted...
    mrmazda will say that modesetting driver is all that you need...
    Try to load OS with kernel parameter "nomodeset".
    Nvidia GT240 is not supported by a Leap 15.2+. It is better to change video card.
    Hmm... would it be possible for me to use the nouveau drivers temporarily? If it's a quick switch over?

    "nomodeset" will use modesetting driver? (I'll research loading the kernel with nomodeset. Hoping it's something simple to add to grub.cfg temporarily.)

    Can I install Nvidia the "hard way"? This would be acceptable for now, til I put in another graphics card. My Nvidia is from 2009. I have a newer 2013 AMD card a friend gave me, but haven't installed, since I needed to stay stable over the past year for work-at-home. Project is done, so I have upgrade time. I could try to just plug it in, but would rather not open a new can of worms right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •