Realtek wifi driver rtl8821ae

Hi,
The other day I fell asleep and left an unfinished beer on my laptop that I was attempting to install 15.2. Woke to find it fried. No power at all. The hard drives went long ago but this thing was able to run suse from 10,3 to leap 15.1. Had that laptop for about 8 years. It had many lives. Anyhow I bought a HP All in one. It has a Realtek wireless adapter and it would not work while I was installing 15.2 on an external usb drive. NO WIFI. I did come to find out that the driver at this link

https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/home:theMarix:Hardware:Leap_15.2/rtl8821ce/openSUSE_Leap_15.2 

will correct the problem. But only if you download it. Extract it. Could not install it with yast. Rename it to rtl8821ae. And put it in /lib/modules/5.3.18-lp152.19-default/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtlwifi/rtl8821ae/. run modprobe rtl8821ae. AND IT FREAKEN WORKS. Hope this helps someone from going thru what I went thru in the last couple of days.

EDIT There were 5 different people on that site. I was trying to install each one with yast but each one was failing. But the solution happened with one of them. I think I posted the right one. But I’m not sure. One or all of them do work. If you extract them, and copy to the above folder.

cartrite

Sorry, looks as if I should have posted this in a different section.

/lib/modules/5.3.18-lp152.19-default/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtlwifi/rtl8821ae/

Sorry again, that is the folder the file needs to go. Of course /5.3.18-lp152.19-default/ is subject to change depending on what kernel is used. I’m not really sure if these drivers will work on different kernels.

You describe only a hack.

You should never replace an Module inside the kernel tree.
Better is to place a Module in the updates directory.
This directory has a higher priority for loading same named Modules.

But the best is to post your Chip ID of the Wlan Stick:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net

To see, which driver is needed.

rtl8821ce or rtw88 is working on my Laptop:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:84a6]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:c821]
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:831a]
        Kernel driver in use: rtl8821ce
        Kernel modules: 8821ce

Moved to Wireless subforum.

I know it’s a hack. But yast would not install the package. And I tried the file with the origin al name in an updates folder. But modprobe would not find it. even though modinfo did. It works. but I agree, it is a hack.

If you use the rtl8821ce kmp and its working, your Wlan Chip inside your laptop is also an rtl8821ce Chip, because there is only 1 ID inside the kmp.
You can name it as you want, but its ever an rtl8821ce kmp…

If you do not tell something about your Hardware, nobody can help.

So your solution is no solution.

So post:

And as I said:
Its working here, I could use 2 different kmps, which are installed with 2 commands.

No more hacking. DKMS. That works. Downloaded the source for the realtek wifi driver and that builds a new driver. It’ something that needs to be installed. DKMS that is. Also with this driver, libelf-devel also needs to be installed.

You can install one of the two rpms (rtl8821ce or rtw88), they working here, you do not need any src and dkms…