installation of new browser is not working

Hello,

I’m a beginner and this is my first Linux based os. It’s all very new for me.
I made a fresh installation this week and now I tried to install brave browser. I used zypper. Then I want to start up the browser but nothing is happening, except that I see a window opening and closing in the bar under. I thought it may be some issue with brave browser, untill now. I tried to install Vivaldi browser (I don’t like Firefox:)), again with zypper. Now, the same is happening. So, the problem must be somewhere else.

Any idea what is going on and how I can solve this?

greetings

I think the first thing people want to know is which Desktop Environment you are using, KDE/Plasma, Gnome, …?

If you’re not sure which DE you are using, do this in an X terminal from your main application menu:

sudo inxi -U > /dev/null
inxi -GSxxxy

Copy the whole input and output from the terminal here enclosed in code tags ( # above the input window).

The first line of the two commands should update the ancient inxi version provided by 15.2 to the latest from upstream, which has lots of fixes and improvements that only Tumbleweed users enjoy by using a recent version from standard repos.

thank you, its KDE/Plasma. I past the asked information under. I wouldt mind reinstalling everything, its not a big deal.

localhost:~ # sudo inxi -U > /dev/null

localhost:~ # inxi -GSxxxy
System:
Host: localhost.localdomain Kernel: 5.3.18-lp152.72-default x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.6 tk: Qt 5.12.7 wm: kwin_x11
vt: 7 dm: SDDM Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.2
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] vendor: Dell driver: i915
v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1916 class-ID: 0300
Device-2: Realtek type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-2:3
chip-ID: 0bda:5686 class-ID: 0e02 serial: 0001
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 compositor: kwin_x11 driver:
loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa alternate: intel
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz s-dpi: 96
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
v: 4.6 Mesa 19.3.4 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes
localhost:~ # #

I don’t know why Brave or Vivaldi would be any problem. There are others to try besides Firefox:

• Chromium
  • Falkon
  • SeaMonkey

On 15.2 here I have:

1. Chromium
  2. Falkon
  3. Firefox (several ESR versions going back years)
  4. Pale Moon
  5. SeaMonkey (2 versions)

#5 is my primary.

Try opening vivaldi and brave by typing their names in Konsole, so that error messages can be captured, shared here, and evaluated.

First a few words about how one shows the output of terminal text here on the forums.
This is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.
Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.
An example is here: [Using CODE tags Around your paste](https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/536143-Using-Code-Tags-Around-Your-<br /> Paste).

When someone asks you to do (and show)

sudo some-command

he in fact means to say: please execute some-command “as root”. It is in fact very unimportant how you do execute “as root”, it only suggests that the person that asks probably uses this method, but you may prefer different. Your prompt localhost # shows that you are aleady root. It is thus useless to use sudo to root above and extra. I hope this improves your knowledeg about using root (see also https://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ALogin_as_root )

Now back to your problem. We can now assume that you area in a KDE/Plasma session when you want to start the Brave browser. How do you try that? By lookibg for in in the main KDE menu. seeing it and then clicking on it? I assume that you did like that, but please confirm. You then say “nothing is happening”. The first thing one should do when something is not starting to satisfaction from the GUI, is trying from the command line. Thus open a terminal and start it from there (I do not use Brave, but I guess the command will be something like

brave

You the will probably see more. And you can hen of course post that here.

ok thank you,

localhost:~ # brave
[3956:3956:0421/201714.939220:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(90)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.
localhost:~ # 

when I switch to a user account, and I do the same, I get a different message. But I dont know how to copy and past this text from user account to root (Where I am now)

To me it looks like you try to do this as root!

Do you really mean that you try to run a web browser as root? Which also means that you run a GUI Desktop Environment as root.

When that is true, you are complete on the wrong track with me.

Be glad that it refuses to run as root.

Please explain what you are doing and why you run users programs like a desktop and all that is in there as root.

Hi,

I thought is was more easy to do stuff with root, that I dont have to type the password every time.
But dont you worry, I have read your link https://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ALogin_as_root and it seems that i shouldnt have done that.

I will reinstall and make some user accounts.

thank you

No, never ever run a GUI as root. You will break things!!! You can become root when needed from a normal user account.

ok! I really didn’t know about that, I was just playing around a little bit, I do not use this laptop for anything else. Anyway, I’ll re-install with gnome this time.:slight_smile:

Well root is like administrator in Windows it gives god powers and it is very easy to break things and if attached to a network opens you up to possible bad guys.:’(