Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dependency problem

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dependency problem

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @karlmistelberger, et al:

I am still here . . . ran the "no-allow-vendor-change" flag and it seemed like the 534 packages went through, except for the 11 packages with dependency issues. The test kept getting more complex as it went on, the answers weren't always #2 . . . took a lot of concentration, focused concentration to complete the . . . I guess 11 questions is more like a "quiz" ?????

My other question is, what does it take to get the focused attention of a global moderator??? I've had a few posts on the ubuntu forums flagged by the "minor observers" apparently because I used "sarcasm" . . . which I guess they figured could damage the psyche's of small dogs and children . . . had to argue my case in the "jail section" to get my "out of jail card after promising to never never use sarcasm . . . on the forum."

So far here on the forum I haven't had any those kind of issues, but still, it would lighten my day if something of what I posted required **global moderation** . . . help me out guys, what's the technique???? Openly complain about having to deal with dependency issues for every upgrade in a rolling distro??? Why, why is that happening to us??
    Snapshot 20210420 makes Tumbleweed great again.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Snapshot 20210420 makes Tumbleweed great again.
    @karlm:

So, what does that mean? Here in SoCal yesterday was 4/20 . . . but I ran a zypper this morning and had the 11 dependencies. So, How do we access this "snapshot"?? Does that mean fresh install, or in a day or so zypper will be accessing the updated snapshot packages and there will be no "quiz" questions to answer???

Blog Entries

So, what does that mean?
    I'm still updating. But it looks as if Tumbleweed is going to a newer version the libav packages. And apparently "packman" updated to those ahead of time. So you were having problems because the newer "packman" versions didn't match the slightly older versions in Tumbleweed. Now that Tumbleweed main repo has also updated, hopefully everything will match again.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm still updating. But it looks as if Tumbleweed is going to a newer version the libav packages. And apparently "packman" updated to those ahead of time. So you were having problems because the newer "packman" versions didn't match the slightly older versions in Tumbleweed. Now that Tumbleweed main repo has also updated, hopefully everything will match again.
    @nrickert:

OK, thanks for the reply, I'm about to head home and hit the sack, so I'll check it in the morning . . . .

Blog Entries

@karlm:

So, what does that mean? Here in SoCal yesterday was 4/20 . . . but I ran a zypper this morning and had the 11 dependencies. So, How do we access this "snapshot"?? Does that mean fresh install, or in a day or so zypper will be accessing the updated snapshot packages and there will be no "quiz" questions to answer???
    'zypper dup' upgraded the system without asking for manual interaction:

Code:
    Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20210420
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.81.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.11.15-1-default
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 8 × AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    Memory: 29.3 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon™ Vega 11 Graphics
    Downloaded some 1,500 packages/1.8GiB and installed without reporting errors.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

It seems the packman devs solved the issue, just did a zypper dup and everything is working again.

Default Re: Dependency problem among video codecs seems resolved ealier today.

Quote Originally Posted by suser View Post
    It seems the packman devs solved the issue, just did a zypper dup and everything is working again.
    I'm confirming that with my system. Yesterday (version 2021-04-20, IIRC) offered a variety of downgrade versus breakage options, with Vendor changes. On todays' 'zypper dup', it can all be recovered to use Pacman as the primary source for the dependencies of ffmpeg-4, and upgrade completed without error.

(Except for pulling in 1500 'texlive' packages which I don't want and never use, but that's a different topic. The curse of building too many things with 'Recommends'.)

Not to butt in, but this sounds like the same thing that ended up borking my system (see my thread titled "No previews").

I'm currently downloading the Tumbleweed snapshot from 04/20. I have high hopes.
    Steve Coleman
    openSUSE LEAP 15
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

@karl, et al:

Yep. Good times. Between yesterday's upgrades using "keep obsolete" and today's upgrades that was "1571 packages" upgraded, and on reboot, all is well.

But, for such a large upgrade I first tried to drop into a TTY and root, and it said, "Packagekit is blocking the highway, please close Packagekit, or use an alternate route"??? I don't have the skilz to do that via console, so I quit the TTY and launched the GUI terminal and . . . and ran the zypper . . . zypper then found no complaints from Packagekit . . . . 45 minutes later the thousand plus packages were installed!!!!! Tumbleweed lives!!!!

But, for such a large upgrade I first tried to drop into a TTY and root, and it said, "Packagekit is blocking the highway, please close Packagekit, or use an alternate route"??? I don't have the skilz to do that via console, so I quit the TTY and launched the GUI terminal and . . .
    If that happens again (and it WILL happen) you can just wait for Packagekit to finish its job (which it did apparently before you started the GUI upgrade) or you can issue:
    Code:
    sudo killall packagekitd
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast