Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

Default Re: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

It is me again. After further examination I see this:
    Code:
    ls -la /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9048240 Apr  7 11:34 /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.69-default
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9048240 Apr 15 11:03 /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.72-default
    But:
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux SimorghSUSE 5.3.18-lp152.69-default #1 SMP Tue Apr 6 11:41:13 UTC 2021 (d532e33) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Does it mean that the 72 update didn't update the GRUB? because the grub still loads /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.69-default

Has deleting the kernel-syms and kernel-preempt-devel screwd with the system?

Would appreciate help.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

Quote Originally Posted by simorgh View Post
    Does it mean that the 72 update didn't update the GRUB? because the grub still loads /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.69-default
    You can try running (as root)
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    I normally do not install "kernel-syms". I do install "kernel-devel". And kernel-preempt was not pulled in here.

However, when I saw this post yesterday, I went to Yast Software Management and selected "kernel-syms". And yes, that wanted to pull in "kernel-preempt". I aborted that Yast session without actually installing anything.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You can try running (as root)
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    I normally do not install "kernel-syms". I do install "kernel-devel". And kernel-preempt was not pulled in here.

However, when I saw this post yesterday, I went to Yast Software Management and selected "kernel-syms". And yes, that wanted to pull in "kernel-preempt". I aborted that Yast session without actually installing anything.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I also have kernel-devel installed:
    Code:
    No update candidate for 'kernel-devel-5.3.18-lp152.72.1.noarch'. The highest available version is already installed.
    This is what I got after configuring grub:
    Code:
    sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/theme.txt
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.72-default
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.3.18-lp152.72-default
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-lp152.69-default
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.3.18-lp152.69-default
    Found openSUSE Tumbleweed on /dev/mapper/system-root
    done
    I have Tumbleweed on another drive.

I restarted the system and at the grub menu I saw that 69 is going to load. After the system was up, this is what is loaded:
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux SimorghSUSE 5.3.18-lp152.69-default #1 SMP Tue Apr 6 11:41:13 UTC 2021 (d532e33) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Default AW: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

You can change the deafult in Yast2---System----Bootloader---Bootloader Options

Default Re: AW: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    You can change the deafult in Yast2---System----Bootloader---Bootloader Options
    Thank you for replying.
    By doing so, will the next kernel update write over it and fix itself or do I have to it manually every time?
    Thanks.

Default Re: AW: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

Thank you for replying.
    By doing so, will the next kernel update write over it and fix itself or do I have to it manually every time?
    Thanks.
    Bug filed: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1185113

I decided to uninstall kernel-syms to avoid installation of any preempt stuff.
    System works with kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72-default now.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    Bug filed: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1185113

I decided to uninstall kernel-syms to avoid installation of any preempt stuff.
    System works with kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72-default now.

Thank you for reporting the bug.
    I also uninstalled kernel-syms and running kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72-default

Post Re: AW: With kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72.1 kernel-syms requires kernel-preempt and kernel-preempt-devel

Thank you for reporting the bug.
    I also uninstalled kernel-syms and running kernel 5.3.18-lp152.72-default
    THESE ARE THE STEPS TO CLEAN UP ALL THOSE UNWANTED “PREEMPTS”:
    In Yast, you first UNINSTALL virtualbox-kmp-preempt AND kernel-preempt AND kernel-preempt-devel (with this last one, you choose the third alternative: “keep kernel-syms with broken capacities”)
    THEN YOU REBOOT
    Then, in Yast again, you put a TABU option (with right mouse) on these three: virtualbox-kmp-preempt AND kernel-preempt AND kernel-preempt-devel ; that way these three won't bother you anymore, never: they're "tabu" now.
    THEN YOU REBOOT AGAIN
    Then, in Yast again, you UPDATE kernel-syms (with this, you choose the third alternative option: “keep kernel-syms with broken capacities”) Don't bother about those “broken capacities”: they refer to the unwanted preempts.
    THEN YOU REBOOT AGAIN
    And now your computer works fine, your kernel-default updates will not prompt you anymore to install those ********** “preempts”, and your VirtualBox (or what it was that pulled in those “preempts”) works like a charm.
    The first reboot is needed so that you can put the “tabu” option on the three “preempts”;
    the second reboot is needed so that the three tabus are fixed and so that you can update your kernel-syms with the right version;
    the third reboot is needed to finalize all the steps you've taken and to clean up your computer for good.
    Have a nice day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12