Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to set up and use compose key in KDE Plasma?

Default Re: How to set up and use compose key in KDE Plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallowwood View Post
    They appear when I set a different layout, e.g. US International.
    Then, may I suggest, use the US International layout and either <Multi_Key+«Key with the required compose character»> or <Multi_Key+Shift+«Key with the required compose character»> …
    • ←↓↑→ are all produced by <AltGr+Z or U or I> and <AltGr+Shift+U> on this keyboard …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Then, may I suggest, use the US International layout and either <Multi_Key+«Key with the required compose character»> or <Multi_Key+Shift+«Key with the required compose character»> …
    • ←↓↑→ are all produced by <AltGr+Z or U or I> and <AltGr+Shift+U> on this keyboard …
    When set the layout to US International (still showing Right Alt as Multi Key) the output is not modified.

Could you clarify how you use the 'compose key'.

As I said, I find the information and guides ambiguous. For example, they say: "Press the compose key and then press the code keys" but this could mean just about anything. Does one press and hold or press and release the compose key? Should the code keys be presses and released in sequence or pressed and held together? How is the code key sequence terminated?

As I said, I find the information and guides ambiguous. For example, they say: "Press the compose key and then press the code keys" but this could mean just about anything. Does one press and hold or press and release the compose key? Should the code keys be presses and released in sequence or pressed and held together? How is the code key sequence terminated?
    On my keyboard (french 105 keys) I have defined the compose key as the windows right key (next to the iso level3 shift)
    I use the compose key generating some characters with the next sequence :
    1. press and release the compose key --> the very small character ⎄ is displayed
    2. Press shift + e --> Only E is displayed
    3. Press and release quote --> only É (capitalize E acute) is displayed
    other example: compose key + o + e -->œ is displayed
    Not all combinations exist. A lot of special characters can be generated but some are the same as those displayed with the iso level3 shift key

Using the iso level 3 shift key on my keyboard :
    1. press and maintain the iso key
    2. press and release A key --> æ is displayed

Regards
    Philippe
    Tumbleweed (x86_64) Kernel 5.10.5-1 with KDE plasma

@Tallowwood:

Quote Originally Posted by phil524 View Post
    On my keyboard (french 105 keys) I have defined the compose key as the windows right key (next to the iso level3 shift)
    I use the compose key generating some characters with the next sequence :
    1. press and release the compose key --> the very small character ⎄ is displayed
    2. Press shift + e --> Only E is displayed
    3. Press and release quote --> only É (capitalize E acute) is displayed
    other example: compose key + o + e -->œ is displayed
    Almost the same here – except that I have nothing defined in KDE Plasma – the default Compose key seems to be <Shift+Control R> «Right Hand Control Key» –
    1. Press and release <Shift+Control R> – if there's a character displayed, it's very, very, small …
    2. Press and release <Shift+E> – nothing is displayed …
    3. Press and release <Shift+# «single quote»> – “É” is displayed.

Ditto <Compose Key>, release, “o”, release, “e” → “œ” is displayed.

Many thanks for the clear and helpful explanations phil524 and dcurisfra. I now know how the compose key should work. That will save time with testing.

It seems that a compose key is defined on my openSUSE Leap 15.2 system but that something is interfering with the way it operates in KDE Plasma.

I would be grateful if anyone who has a compose key working with a US keyboard layout could add a comment to this thread.

Many thanks for the clear and helpful explanations phil524 and dcurisfra. I now know how the compose key should work. That will save time with testing.

It seems that a compose key is defined on my openSUSE Leap 15.2 system but that something is interfering with the way it operates in KDE Plasma.
    The Compose key can be defined in systemsettings ->Input devices ->Keyboard --> tab "Advanced" and therein choice "Position of Compose key". You can maybe test after selecting a new compose key.

Regards
    Philippe
    Tumbleweed (x86_64) Kernel 5.10.5-1 with KDE plasma

I've raised the KDE Bug Report #436090 to deal with the undocumented default Compose Key assignment – <https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=436090>.
    • The default Compose Key assignment for my keyboard – 105-key German layout plus, Cherry CyMotion Linux physical device …

Please add votes to this Bug Report.

@Tallowwood:

It's possibly best if you raise a new KDE Bug Report dealing with the Compose Key assignment issue for the Use Case of 104-key US layout keyboards.
    • You could however, add to the Bug Report I raised stating that, for the case of 104-key US layout keyboards, the default Compose Key assignment seems to be something other than <Shift+Control R> …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    @Tallowwood:

It's possibly best if you raise a new KDE Bug Report dealing with the Compose Key assignment issue for the Use Case of 104-key US layout keyboards.
    • You could however, add to the Bug Report I raised stating that, for the case of 104-key US layout keyboards, the default Compose Key assignment seems to be something other than <Shift+Control R> …
    Thanks for all your help with this. As a confirmed 'general user' I find I can't be much help with bugs. Perhaps the compose key is just a low priority for the developers. Their intention is not clear to me. I know I'm not the only one having issues with it, see here.

For now I am pondering JK's advice here. Lots to learn.

@Tallowwood:

The KDE Bug Report has been closed with “RESOLVED NOT A BUG” –
    No KDE code sets a default Compose key.
    I've also checked with Lenovo G505s Laptop – <Shift+Control R> didn't Compose …
    • I've setup the KDE System Settings Keyboard Advanced tab → Compose Key to be “3rd Level Chooser (AltGr)+Caps Lock” – that works for me …

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12