Thread: Hplip plugin checksum error

Default Hplip plugin checksum error

Hi,
    I'm testing Opensuse Tumbleweed (Plasma). I have an issue with my Hp 1018 printer.

Following Opensuse wiki I removed udev-configure-printer, than I installed Hplip 3.20.11-2.3 from official repository. After setup the device (su - -c "hp-setup") I had an error message in terminal: .hplip/hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run file does not match its checksum. File may have been corrupted or altered. I tried a lot of times but I had the same error.

Then I installed hplip, hplip-hpijs and hplip-sane from Sauerland community repo (3.21.2-7.3) the installation of the plugin went ok. The printer can print but after a reboot or a shutdown I have to manually open hp device manager, turn on the printer, then turn off, than turn on again, otherwise I have “Device Communication error (5012)”.

What's wrong? I think Opensuse official Hplip 3.20-11.2.3 package has a bug (also the new package has some bugs).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hplip plugin checksum error

Hi and welcome to The Forum
    Never removed any rules, installed hplip, run hp-setup, then as my user install the plugin manually;

Code:
    cd
    wget https://developers.hp.com/sites/default/files/hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run -O hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run
    wget https://developers.hp.com/sites/default/files/hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run.asc -O hplip-3.20.11-plugin.run.asc
    hp-plugin --plugin=~/ -i
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hi,
    the removal of udev-configure-printer is also suggested in a recent bug report. Also, use of Hplip downloaded from official Hp package is not recommended because it expose you to security risk (hplip is poorly written); you can read another bug report which you can read if you launch hp-toolbox (official Opensuse package) in a terminal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carobinario View Post
    Hi,
    the removal of udev-configure-printer is also suggested in a recent bug report. Also, use of Hplip downloaded from official Hp package is not recommended because it expose you to security risk (hplip is poorly written); you can read another bug report which you can read if you launch hp-toolbox (official Opensuse package) in a terminal.
    Hi
    If you want to go back seven years looking for issues with respect to the download, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then?

Perhaps it's your particular model that is affected with the udev rule, I have a P1102w which works fine with the plugin secured this way.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hello, I had this very same problem in TW, so I switched to Leap 15.3 today.
    hplip installs (strangely, installing hplip implies the installation of a large bunch of python3 packages). However, when trying to download the plugin (hp-plugin command), it fails.
    So, I just downloaded the following package from the hplip website :
    https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i...inting/plugins
    got the 30.20.11 files :
    https://developers.hp.com/sites/defa....11-plugin.run
    https://developers.hp.com/sites/defa...plugin.run.asc
    once downloaded, I launched hp-plugin by hand
    hp-plugin -i
    I choosed to the advanced mode, giving the exact location of the plugin
    and it worked.

It is a bit confusing. You post this at the end of an older Tumbleweed thread, but it looks as if you show a problem with 15.3.

If it is a 15.3 problem, then please start a new thread and choose 15.3 as a title prefix. Then people know what you are talking about.
    Henk van Velden

No. The initial problem arose in TW after an update. Since I had no solution, I switched to Leap 15.3, found a very similar bug.
    And finally found a workaround.
    Perhaps would this workaround work for TW ?

Hello. You're right, I checked. The TW problem with HPLIP is distinct from the one in Leap 15.3