Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal that my running kernel is kernel-preempt instead of kernel-default?

Default Is it normal that my running kernel is kernel-preempt instead of kernel-default?

I noticed both my leap 15.2 machines are using kernel-preempt instead of kernel-default.
    After some research I still couldn't understand which kernel is better for me.
    I am considering to delete kernel-preempt to use kernel-default?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it normal that my running kernel is kernel-preempt instead of kernel-default?

Some other people have reported this. It isn't happening here.

As a pure guess, perhaps there is some software you are using that is recommending the preempt kernel.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Default Re: Is it normal that my running kernel is kernel-preempt instead of kernel-default?

I did not fully follow or understand a few other threads, but I remember hat there are more people that got a preempt kernel. They only found out after e.g. they got a file system full, because it gathered a lot of unused default kernels. After deleteing the preempt one they got back to the default one (and the removing of older kernels worked again). As said a bit vague, but you could search the forums for "preempt".
    Henk van Velden

That likely happened when VirtualBox got an update to 6.16 and recommended the wrong kmp, causing a mess with the kernel...
    If you have no specific need for kernel-preempt (very few of us have one...) uninstall all kernel-preempt packages and install the latest kernel-default available in the update repo.
    Then possibly check that VirtualBox is working properly, but you should have no problem.
    See here for details.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Talking Re: Is it normal that my running kernel is kernel-preempt instead of kernel-default?

Quote Originally Posted by bonedriven View Post
    I am considering to delete kernel-preempt to use kernel-default?
    Myself and a few others suffered some nasty usability issues with the Pre-empt Kernel – I have removed that Kernel and, AFAICS, the others have done the same.
    • If you have Oracle's VirtualBox installed, you also have to remove the “virtualbox-kmp-preempt” package …

Thank you guys. I have uninstalled preempt kernels and am using kernel-default now.
    Hopefully it solves some rare random freezing the reason of which is still unknown at the moment.

edit: And yes I made virtualbox kernel to use the default version too.

I've just run into a similar issue with `dkms` and it's requirement `kernel-devel`, which was replaced recently (without my noticing) by `kernel-preempt-devel`

I think some logic in the solver is (or was) picking the wrong multi-version package.

again, fixed by uninstalling *preempt* (ignoring warnings about breaking packages), then installing the equivalent but normal kernel packages. Trying to do both (uninstall & install) in one transaction fails.

Quote Originally Posted by jetojedno View Post
    I think some logic in the solver is (or was) picking the wrong multi-version package.
    AFAIK the problem was not in the solver but in some package's requirement that prevented the -default packages from being installed, so the solver had to choose the next available package providing the same capabilities and -preempt packages were installed.
    It would be interesting to know if your system was affected _without_ VirtualBox being installed...
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    It would be interesting to know if your system was affected _without_ VirtualBox being installed...
    I've just checked more fully. Virtualbox isn't and wasn't installed.

kernel-preempt-devel got pulled in when I did the dup from 15.1 to 15.2. There's a long list of stuff which got pulled in during that process, including preempt.

Here's the relevant zypp history: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0i5v884en0...story-log?dl=0

I should add that I don't and never have had kernel-preempt installed.

From my perspective, there are two, separate, solver issues:
    - someone did something wrong in packaging
    - solver doesn't recognise that the requirement satisfied by a package (kernel-preempt-devel) can be solved by another package (kernel-devel) which is already installed, so complains when the "unwanted" package is removed. In my case, I had to accept it complaining that dkms would be broken, but when I went back to check, there were no unsatisfied dependencies.

Quote Originally Posted by jetojedno View Post
    kernel-preempt-devel got pulled in when I did the dup from 15.1 to 15.2.
    I've just done a more thorough check. There's no mention in either /var/log/zypp/history* or /var/log/zypper* of preempt before this install as part of dup, apart from one dup --downloadonly about an hour before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast