Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing openSUSE Tumbleweed i686 on 32bit Compaq NC-6400 laptop:

Default Re: Installing openSUSE Tumbleweed i686 on 32bit Compaq NC-6400 laptop:

KDE Plasma uses OpenGL 2.0 by default. Try to use XRender. Or turn off effects.
    IMHO x86 architecture is untested in our days, use AMD64 instead.

Hello, I was given a brief response about the GRUB2 error on the users@lists.opensuse.org forum listing.

"lzma_decompress.img in trustedgrub is 129MB. This is certainly too big to make any sense. Open bug report." <-So I did file a bug report.

Sorry for using html code tags.

@mrmazda the "inxi -Fxz output" I pasted above is from the live boot installation session.

@Svyatko I am right now attempting to reinstall with the EXT4 filesystem and XFS home directory partition option with the "swap partition to memory option ticked". I also enabled the "trusted boot" option once again this time.

Thanks for your helping.

Quote Originally Posted by panorain View Post
    A couple weeks ago I downloaded and verified an .iso from the following link: -> http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/

It was a 32 bit snapshot by the name of: -> openSUSE-Tumbleweed-KDE-Live-i686-Snapshot20210307-Media.iso

I am uncertain between the difference in the i686 openSUSE TW .iso's as per current or snapshot-media suffixes.
    From https://get.opensuse.org/tumbleweed:

Please be aware of the following limitations of the live images:

• They should not be used to install or upgrade Tumbleweed. Please use the Tumbleweed media instead
    • They have a limited package and driver selection, so cannot be considered an accurate reflection as to whether Tumbleweed will work on your hardware or not

openSUSE Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Open bug report." <-So I did file a bug report.
    Please attach y2logs to your bug 1185023.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

I attempted to retry installation with a live snapshot again earlier today and it became a little exasperating with the continued pauses during package downloading.

@awerlang So I downloaded and verified a Tumbleweed .iso from your suggestion here: -> https://get.opensuse.org/tumbleweed <- I selected the EXT4 filesystem with XFS filesystem selected for home partition. I used a wired connection to the modem this attempt also. Things began very slowly with receiving package information from the main repository but with 2 retries success. This time installing had no or holdups until at 98% GRUB2-Decompressor error.

@mrmazda I was able to attach the copy of y2logs in .tgz format to the bug report. Thanks for letting me know about this.

I also now have more files that I copied over from the attempted installation computer from /tmp and /var/log to usb with the following names: -> messages, hwinfo.log and dmesg.log but I did not attach them to the bug report as of yet only filed them here.

Are there any other suggestions or things maybe I could try at this point? I will power the computer off in a while but now I can still access /tmp after this failed installation attempt.

Ok thanks for your help again.

Are there any other suggestions or things maybe I could try at this point?
    Do not use trustedgrub2, use standard grub2 which does not have this issue.

@arvidjaar This sounds like great advice but I am not certain how to implement this into the installation yet. I will have to do some searching.

It looks like some work is being done with the bug report.

Thanks

I attempted to retry installation with a live snapshot again earlier today and it became a little exasperating with the continued pauses during package downloading.

@awerlang So I downloaded and verified a Tumbleweed .iso from your suggestion here: -> https://get.opensuse.org/tumbleweed <- I selected the EXT4 filesystem with XFS filesystem selected for home partition. I used a wired connection to the modem this attempt also. Things began very slowly with receiving package information from the main repository but with 2 retries success. This time installing had no or holdups until at 98% GRUB2-Decompressor error.
    Assuming you can get past the GRUB error, if you got the Offline/DVD .iso image, then you can uncheck "use online repositories", which is causing some delay in your installation. Setup repositories in YaST after installation.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

I am not certain how to implement this into the installation yet.
    Bootloader configuration - Trusted Boot Support.

I attempted installation again with "Trusted Boot Support" disabled (It is disabled by default). The OSS repository was having problems connecting so I ticked abort for that. Installation completed in full this time.

I was able to reboot the computer and then use YaST Software to enable the following repositories:

Then in Konsole:
    Code:
    zypper dup
    1. I am wondering whether or not to mark this post as solved now due to bug report still being active.

Thank You for all your helping with this.
    Last edited by panorain; 22-Apr-2021 at 09:03. Reason: Wording

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12