Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leap 15.2 port 25 no longer accept remote connections

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 15.2 port 25 no longer accept remote connections

Quote Originally Posted by rawar View Post
    I used the 15.2 golden master ISO to install this test VM last summer. Just for fun i made a snapshot of the VM and installed the Leap 15.1 sendmail version 8.15.2 and it did start without IPv6 complains. But this default 8.15.2 sendmail.cf did not even try to start a IPv6 MTA-v6. And a diff between 8.15.2 and 8.16.1 version of /usr/lib/sendmail.d/update
    Code:
    gnomegurke:~> diff update-8.16.1 update-8.15.2  
    130,138d129 
    <       if test "$SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE" != yes ; then 
    <               if test "$SENDMAIL_USE_IPV6" = yes ; then 
    <                       AddressV4="127.0.0.1" 
    <                       AddressV6="::1" 
    <               else 
    <                       Address="127.0.0.1" 
    <               fi 
    <               DAEMON_OPTIONS="${DAEMON_OPTIONS:+${DAEMON_OPTIONS}, }Addr=" 
    <       fi 
    140,147c131 
    <               if test "$SENDMAIL_USE_IPV6" = yes ; then 
    <                       echo "DAEMON_OPTIONS(\`Name=MTA-v4, Family=inet, ${DAEMON_OPTIONS}${AddressV4+"$AddressV4"}')dnl" 
    <                       echo "DAEMON_OPTIONS(\`Name=MTA-v6, Family=inet6, ${DAEMON_OPTIONS}${AddressV6+"$AddressV6"}')dnl" 
    <               else 
    <                       echo "DAEMON_OPTIONS(\`Name=MTA, ${DAEMON_OPTIONS}${Address+"$Address"}')dnl" 
    <               fi 
    <       elif test "$SENDMAIL_USE_IPV6" = yes ; then 
    <               echo "define(\`_NETINET6_')dnl" 
    --- 
    >               echo "DAEMON_OPTIONS(\`Name=MTA,${DAEMON_OPTIONS}')dnl"

shows that there is no MTA-v6 at all in the Leap 15.1 version of the configuration script. I think these changes are the reason for the problem. And i must admit that from a security perspective the default value "SMTPD_LISTEN_REMOTE=no" in 15.2 is a good choice for most users.
    Well done with the troubleshooting assistance. This will be useful for other users who come searching. It may be worth a write up in our "How-To" forums...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdis...-To-FAQ-Forums
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: Leap 15.2 port 25 no longer accept remote connections

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Well done with the troubleshooting assistance. This will be useful for other users who come searching. It may be worth a write up in our "How-To" forums...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdis...-To-FAQ-Forums

Yes indeed. To be noted that after installing the latest patches on other mail relays that had sendmail open for external connections, the same error (failing to bind MTA-v6 on port 25 with port already in use) started occurring as well, until I changed the value on /etc/sysconfig/sendmail SENDMAIL_USE_IPV6="no", ran the script /usr/lib/sendmail.d/update manually and restart sendmail. So the patch post install script fails to address a scenario were the server has no IPv6 enabled, by not changing the value to use IPv6 with sendmail to no.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123