Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenSUSE installation dissapeared from boot menu.

Thumbs up Re: OpenSUSE installation dissapeared from boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Try to set it to "y" and regenerate grub configuration again.

Thank you! This did it.

Now when I choose"openSUSE Tumbleweed on /dev/mapper/luks-d9c04676-282a-4f9b-812c-8de191d24419" option in the boot menu, instead of getting errors, I am prompted to enter an encryption password, and upon entering it , the encrypted system is booted.

Default Re: OpenSUSE installation dissapeared from boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    This did it.
    But keep in mind that to add encrypted Linux installation to boot menu using os-prober this installation must be accessible when grub configuration is being generated. os-prober does not attempt to unlock it itself. Which means that if next time when kernel is updated your encrypted filesystem is locked, it won't be available in menu again.

Question Re: OpenSUSE installation dissapeared from boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    But keep in mind that to add encrypted Linux installation to boot menu using os-prober this installation must be accessible when grub configuration is being generated. os-prober does not attempt to unlock it itself. Which means that if next time when kernel is updated your encrypted filesystem is locked, it won't be available in menu again.
    So if I update kernel on the unencrypted system, the encrypted system will dissapear from the boot menu again, right? And I will have to do what I've done right now to restore it? Or is there any way to avoid that?

Blog Entries

So if I update kernel on the unencrypted system, the encrypted system will dissapear from the boot menu again, right? And I will have to do what I've done right now to restore it? Or is there any way to avoid that?
    Yes, that's about right.

What I do, in that case, is use "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" to force a custom entry to boot that system. My custom entry actually used "configfile" to load the menu from the system that I want to boot.

You could perhaps look in your currently working "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" to see what works. But then, for your custom entry, use "vmlinuz" and "initrd" (the symlink files in your encrypted system) instead of the full file name.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, that's about right.

What I do, in that case, is use "/etc/grub.d/40_custom" to force a custom entry to boot that system. My custom entry actually used "configfile" to load the menu from the system that I want to boot.

You could perhaps look in your currently working "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" to see what works. But then, for your custom entry, use "vmlinuz" and "initrd" (the symlink files in your encrypted system) instead of the full file name.
    I am not familiar with adding custom entries. Googling I found this code:
    Code:
    menuentry "OpenSUSE encrypted" {
        set root=UUID=XXXX-YYYY
        linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=XXXX-YYYY ro quiet splash
        initrd /initrd.img
    }
    Do I need to just add it to 40_config, changing XXXX-YYYY to UUID of encrypted root partition?

And can simply decrypting the root of encrypted installation, prior to updating the kernel on unencrypted installation, help avoid this problem?

Blog Entries

And can simply decrypting the root of encrypted installation, prior to updating the kernel on unencrypted installation, help avoid this problem?
    Yes, it can.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12