Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samba and Firewall

Default Samba and Firewall

I have OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 installed on 3 computers and I am trying to use Samba to transfer files. I have been doing this for years, but I have a problem with 15.2. I think I have narrowed it down to the firewall settings.

As set up, when I click Network, then Shared Folders(SMB), each computer sees only itself. By disabling Firewald on one computer, it can access all three, but I do have to type in the name in order to see the folders. If I then restart the firewall, I can still access shared folders on all three computers by typing in the names, but Dolphin shows only the one I am on and one other.

Here are the services set for the home zone of the Firewall on all three: dhcp dhcpv6 dhcpv-client dns ftp ipp ipp-client kdeconnect-kde kerberos mdns nfs samba samba-client ssh.

What am I missing or what else should I do?

Default Re: Samba and Firewall

Question is: Which zone have you assigned to your network interface for this LAN?
    Kind regards

raspu

The zone is "home".

Can you reach the other machines in Dolphin with

Code:
    smb://10.0.0.10/
    ?
    Kind regards

raspu

Thanks for trying to help me.

Firewall on:

Code:
    @localhost:~> smb://10.0.0.10/
    bash: smb://10.0.0.10/: No such file or directory
    Can only access the computer I am using by typing names.

Firewall off:

Code:
    @localhost:~> smb://10.0.0.10/
    bash: smb://10.0.0.10/: No such file or directory
    but I can now access the shared files on the other two computers by their names.

After restarting the firewall, I can still type the names and access the other two computers. I don't know how long that will persist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleguy View Post
    I have OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 installed on 3 computers and I am trying to use Samba to transfer files. I have been doing this for years, but I have a problem with 15.2. I think I have narrowed it down to the firewall settings.

As set up, when I click Network, then Shared Folders(SMB), each computer sees only itself. By disabling Firewald on one computer, it can access all three, but I do have to type in the name in order to see the folders. If I then restart the firewall, I can still access shared folders on all three computers by typing in the names, but Dolphin shows only the one I am on and one other.

Here are the services set for the home zone of the Firewall on all three: dhcp dhcpv6 dhcpv-client dns ftp ipp ipp-client kdeconnect-kde kerberos mdns nfs samba samba-client ssh.

What am I missing or what else should I do?
    For Dolphin samba discovery, you need to allow mdns/dns-sd by allowing 'mdns' in the hosts firewalls.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

@deano ferrari

In my description of the problem that you quoted, I stated:

"Here are the services set for the home zone of the Firewall on all three: dhcp dhcpv6 dhcpv-client dns ftp ipp ipp-client kdeconnect-kde kerberos mdns nfs samba samba-client ssh.

What am I missing or what else should I do?"

Blog Entries

@deano ferrari

In my description of the problem that you quoted, I stated:
    Sorry, missed that. It should be working. Are you able to reach the other samba hosts by their Avahi hostname?

For reference, I'm using the KDE version from the openSUSE KDE repos. Perhaps that makes a difference.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories

I also allow 'ws-discovery' so that Windows hosts can be annunciated in Dolphin. (Dolphin v20.04.0 onwards)
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Apr-2021 at 14:27.

'ws-discovery' is not available in Firewald on my three computers. All three machines are OpenSUSE Leap 15.2. With regard to KDE, I need to solve the connection problem (that appears to be a firewall problem), then I'll worry about the secondary issue of the browsing. Dolphin woks fine once I type in the computer names.

Blog Entries

'ws-discovery' is not available in Firewald on my three computers.
    You'd need to have 'wsdd2' installed for that. It also provides the wsdd2.service unit to provide the necessary support (for advertising samba servers to windows hosts).

See this thread for more info...
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...01#post2955301

All three machines are OpenSUSE Leap 15.2. With regard to KDE, I need to solve the connection problem (that appears to be a firewall problem), then I'll worry about the secondary issue of the browsing. Dolphin woks fine once I type in the computer names.
    I think I recall similar smb discovery behaviour when using the Dolphin version provided by default (openSUSE Leap 15.2), but I've been later versions (supplied by KDE repos) for quite some time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast