Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE Plasma (*) Display Complications

Question KDE Plasma (*) Display Complications

Hey there OpenSUSE Community,

I hope you are all well.

I wanted to reach out to you all for some advice on how I could best handle a recent issue started on my lab box with KDE.

Today, when logging into the system I noticed that my screens (I have two) had changed from 1 / 2 (left to right) to 2 / 1 (right then leading into left). I went into display and changed them proper and then clicked apply - that's when things got really interesting.

From there, my left screen was reaching into my right screen. Too, my right screen started to have a sort of rapid and slight space vibration to anything on that screen. I started to pull things over just to check and windows were fine in the left monitor but shaking in the right. While they were not shaking in the left monitor, the two did share something similar: they each had really huge icons and task bars.

I wasn't sure what was wrong, so I figured a good restart might do the trick. It did not. So, I tried a full power down, turn off the power, and restore power and turn on (I came from Windows... can you tell? lol).

These steps did not resolve the issue. So, I went further and started a next test by downloading XFCE (just picking a random DE) and seeing if the system would react the same (I wasn't sure if this was a video card issue). Upon logging into XFCE, I noticed a dramatic and stable change; there were no issues -- at all.

I logged out to XFCE session and started Plasma (vanilla) and found the display issues were unchanged. Then, I tried Wayland and Full Wayland with poorer experiences than Vanilla Plasma.

Next, I reopened XFCE and did a DE removal of KDE Plamsa and reinstall. I attempted a new session start of KDE and the issues persisted.

To this point, I haven't been able to decide other options I could try and resolve this issue. I'm not stuck to using KDE Plasma but I do really enjoy fixing and learning from experiences like this. So, I wanted to reach out to the community and ask for some suggestions, please.

Thank you!
    The coffee must flow...

OpenSuse LEAP 15.3 / KDE Plasma

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE Plasma (*) Display Complications

I note that you've reported using openSUSE Leap 15.3. That is still in beta AFAIU. Anyway, some general advice follows:

Can you start by sharing your graphics hardware details?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxx
    *You may need to install the inxi package first.

This may be useful as well...
    Code:
    xrandr
    I'm not surprised that re-installing KDE Plasma 5 didn't make a difference. The user's display configuration would have persisted. The display layout is located at ~/.local/share/kscreen/ and can safely be removed if desired.
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/kscreen/
    Then logout and back in again.

https://community.kde.org/Solid/Proj...reenManagement
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Apr-2021 at 01:46.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I'm not surprised that re-installing KDE Plasma 5 didn't make a difference. The user's display configuration would have persisted. The display layout is located at ~/.local/share/kscreen/ and can safely be removed if desired.
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/kscreen/
    Then logout and back in again.
    ISTR it might not be kscreen, but kscreen2. I disable kscreen in systemsettings startup & shutdown background services, and configure screens as necessary globally (variously in /etc/X11/) so that my configuration applies regardless what session type I log into. Thus, checking to be sure of the need or not for the "2" would be more work than I'm up for ATM.

I bring this up because something else I've never tested is trying to remove it while Plasma is running. I suspect it stays in RAM and is rewritten when Plasma is closed. That would make it necessary to be logged out of Plasma for removal to have the desired effect.

The problem might not be limited to whatever .local/share/kscreen/ contains, but also, or possibly instead of, Plasma's on-disk cache. It may be necessary to do
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.cache/*
    while logged out of Plasma.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    ISTR it might not be kscreen, but kscreen2. I disable kscreen in systemsettings startup & shutdown background services, and configure screens as necessary globally (variously in /etc/X11/) so that my configuration applies regardless what session type I log into. Thus, checking to be sure of the need or not for the "2" would be more work than I'm up for ATM.

I bring this up because something else I've never tested is trying to remove it while Plasma is running. I suspect it stays in RAM and is rewritten when Plasma is closed. That would make it necessary to be logged out of Plasma for removal to have the desired effect.

The problem might not be limited to whatever .local/share/kscreen/ contains, but also, or possibly instead of, Plasma's on-disk cache. It may be necessary to do
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.cache/*
    while logged out of Plasma.
    I’ve only ever needed to remove the kscreen config and restart the DE, or logout and back in again.

Default *NEW* No Longer a DE Specific Issue.

Good evening,

Thanks to both of your responses on this.

I'd like to return and provide an update (and I apologize that it took me near a full day, it's been a long weekend lol).

While I started this off saying this was a KDE Plasma related issue, I'd like to start updating that by sharing that I am no longer confident this is a specific DE related issue. I come to this conclusion so easily because upon logging into XFCE's DE, the system is acting extremely poor. The background is no longer able to be activated (just black on both screens), the tool bars are there and interactive, but the terminal window is unresponsive to all clicks or typing. Additionally, I have found that the drop down GUI related interfaces where I could type is also not responding.

So, now I have a poor running system in general no matter the DE which makes this pretty difficult for me to try and add new entries in from the list provided above (thank you each for your ideas and inputs, btw).

I'm started to question if I somehow broke the display options but not sure what I would have done since I haven't really been changing much in the way the OpenSUSE 15.3 Beta configurations go.

Too, on my personal laptop which also have OpenSUSE 15.3, the system there is running stable without any complications. It's only with this lab box.

I'm not going to attempt an extreme step which is to do a full system reinstall until you both have a moment to read this latest entry and provide further ideas or instructions that I could do and learn from.

Thank you both and I hope you are both well
    The coffee must flow...

Default Re: *NEW* No Longer a DE Specific Issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonyGar View Post
    Good evening,

Thanks to both of your responses on this.

I'd like to return and provide an update (and I apologize that it took me near a full day, it's been a long weekend lol).

While I started this off saying this was a KDE Plasma related issue, I'd like to start updating that by sharing that I am no longer confident this is a specific DE related issue. I come to this conclusion so easily because upon logging into XFCE's DE, the system is acting extremely poor. The background is no longer able to be activated (just black on both screens), the tool bars are there and interactive, but the terminal window is unresponsive to all clicks or typing. Additionally, I have found that the drop down GUI related interfaces where I could type is also not responding.

So, now I have a poor running system in general no matter the DE which makes this pretty difficult for me to try and add new entries in from the list provided above (thank you each for your ideas and inputs, btw).

I'm started to question if I somehow broke the display options but not sure what I would have done since I haven't really been changing much in the way the OpenSUSE 15.3 Beta configurations go.

Too, on my personal laptop which also have OpenSUSE 15.3, the system there is running stable without any complications. It's only with this lab box.

I'm not going to attempt an extreme step which is to do a full system reinstall until you both have a moment to read this latest entry and provide further ideas or instructions that I could do and learn from.

Thank you both and I hope you are both well
    ***UPDATE***

Taking the advice from a friend, I did a simple useradd for a new users call test; logged out and back in and the DE experience was positive for both KDE Plasma and XFCE.

While I want to conclude that this the user account as the issue, I can't be confident in that yet since XFCE was working perfectly last night and then broke today (for the main account). I'm going to let this sit for a day and see if the "test" user account (most recent built) has any breaks tomorrow. If not, then I believe it might be related to the main user's account.

Also, on the positive side, I was able to run inxi -Gxx on the main user's account and the read out is provided below:
    Code:
    mainuser@localhost:~> inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
      bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c03 
      Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: nouveau 
      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa alternate: nv,nvidia 
      resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
      OpenGL: renderer: NV136 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.2.4 direct render: Yes
    Thanks for the help with this and learning opportunity.
    The coffee must flow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: *NEW* No Longer a DE Specific Issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonyGar View Post
    ***UPDATE***

Taking the advice from a friend, I did a simple useradd for a new users call test; logged out and back in and the DE experience was positive for both KDE Plasma and XFCE.

While I want to conclude that this the user account as the issue, I can't be confident in that yet since XFCE was working perfectly last night and then broke today (for the main account). I'm going to let this sit for a day and see if the "test" user account (most recent built) has any breaks tomorrow. If not, then I believe it might be related to the main user's account.

Also, on the positive side, I was able to run inxi -Gxx on the main user's account and the read out is provided below:
    Code:
    mainuser@localhost:~> inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
      bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c03 
      Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: nouveau 
      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa alternate: nv,nvidia 
      resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
      OpenGL: renderer: NV136 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.2.4 direct render: Yes
    Thanks for the help with this and learning opportunity.
    I note that the Xorg nouveau DDX driver is in use, but in general the modesetting DDX driver should be preferred. Remove 'xf86-video-nouveau', and see if that improves things for you.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Vs-Modesetting
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Apr-2021 at 19:27.

Blog Entries

I agree not using xf86-video-nouveau might help. Package removal is the simpler way, but it is not terribly difficult to specify the alternative, modesetting, via /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf, an optional file you would create if desired with a Device section specifying the desired driver. Once set up, it's simple to try one for a while, then a bit more quickly switch to the other if any difference between them seems hard to discern.

Limitation to one user screams bad cache! Try removing the content of ~/.cache/, while logged out of the GUI. It's just a cache. Nothing is lost by its removal except a bit of time on first subsequent GUI login. The cache gets regenerated automatically if and when needed.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    I agree not using xf86-video-nouveau might help. Package removal is the simpler way, but it is not terribly difficult to specify the alternative, modesetting, via /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf, an optional file you would create if desired with a Device section specifying the desired driver. Once set up, it's simple to try one for a while, then a bit more quickly switch to the other if any difference between them seems hard to discern.

Limitation to one user screams bad cache! Try removing the content of ~/.cache/, while logged out of the GUI. It's just a cache. Nothing is lost by its removal except a bit of time on first subsequent GUI login. The cache gets regenerated automatically if and when needed.
    I've never needed to do this (apart from when clawing back wasted space on occaision), but I agree that it doesn't hurt, and I also concur that it is telling that a new user account is not affected.

Arrow Re: KDE Plasma (*) Display Complications

Good evening everyone,

Thanks for the replies and assistance. Please excuse me if I have overlooked something in my work to creating a solution while I implement the information shared in the post provided.

So far, this is where I am at now after implementing the above recommendations (it has improved but not fully).

While in XFCE, since it was the only DE that would respond for me, I was able to open Yast Software Management to help in the removal of the package: xf86-video-nouveau. This method was successful. Following this step, I wasn't sure if the system needed a restart so I moved forward with doing that procedure as a thought it might be required.

Upon logging back in, I noticed the experience with both DE's (XFCE and KDE) were the same as before without any improvement. To make sure I followed the correct understanding, I opened Yast Software Management again to verify that this package had been removed (xf86-video-nouveau) and it showed as no longer an active system package. While in there, I did a full search on nouveau and noticed that the 3D piece was active, so I went ahead and removed that since I remember hearing it could create issues with systems.

Seeing that the change of system desktop experience hadn't changed, I moved forward with the next suggestion of ~/.cache/ & rm -rf * the full contents within the directory. Following the previous system activation change, I did a simple sudo init 6 and let the system restart with the changes.

Positive side, this did make a vast improvement with XFCE but KDE is still very odd with sizing issues and the right screen still persist with a shaking experience.

I'm looking into possible further solutions but nothing more positive to report to you all just yet.

Thanks again and I hope to further this discussion with some positive improvements on my part. We'll see by tomorrow, I hope lol
    The coffee must flow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast