Thread: openrazer drivers don't automatically get rebuilt for new kernel

Default openrazer drivers don't automatically get rebuilt for new kernel

Greetings:

I use some Razer peripherals and, accordingly, have installed some of the Razer tools for configuring them; the list of items I've installed is below.

1. openrazer-daemon
    2. openrazer-kernel-modules-dkms
    3. openrazer-meta
    4. polychromatic
    5. python3-openrazer

I, basically, followed the instructions to install it here: https://software.opensuse.org/downlo...openrazer-meta

Anyways, when I update my system, things like the kernel are updated but these packages are not. I update my system with the following commands.

sudo zypper refresh && sudo zypper dup && sudo flatpak update

I can see it being out of date because my tray applet indicates the daemon is not working properly and through some sleuthing (see below).

> uname -a
    Linux babeltumble 5.11.11-1-default #1 SMP Tue Mar 30 17:57:52 UTC 2021 (dbc4a02) x86_64 x86_64 x86_
    64 GNU/Linux
    > sudo dkms status
    [sudo] password for root:
    openrazer-driver, 3.0.0, 5.11.6-1-default, x86_64: installed

The only way I've found to get this to update is to do the following.

sudo dkms remove -m openrazer-driver -v 3.0.0 -k 5.11.6-1-default
    sudo dkms autoinstall

I am new to openSUSE Tumbleweed and absolutely love it. Is this driver something I need to continue manually updating or is there a method for it to automatically update when new kernels are installed? Thank you for any insight you can provide into this. I did a bunch of searches and couldn't find anything to discuss this; I apologize if I missed something.

Kind regards,
    Anthony

Default Re: openrazer drivers don't automatically get rebuilt for new kernel

Greetings:

These drivers were updated recently however the new versions were not automatically built against the current kernel. This also shows that the upgrade does not clean up the older version and makes the upgrade more difficult (see below). So, ultimately, I currently have the 5.11.11-1-default kernel built with version 3.0.0 of these drivers, however 3.0.1-1.1 was released and updated the 3.0.0 and now nothing is loaded.

Code:
    > sudo zypper search -s razer 
    [sudo] password for root:  
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 

S  | Name                          | Type       | Version   | Arch   | Repository 
    ---+-------------------------------+------------+-----------+--------+---------------------- 
    i  | openrazer-daemon              | package    | 3.0.1-1.1 | noarch | hardware:razer 
    i  | openrazer-kernel-modules-dkms | package    | 3.0.1-1.1 | noarch | hardware:razer 
    i+ | openrazer-meta                | package    | 3.0.1-1.1 | noarch | hardware:razer 
       | openrazer-meta                | srcpackage | 3.0.1-1.1 | noarch | hardware:razer 
    i  | python3-openrazer             | package    | 3.0.1-1.1 | noarch | hardware:razer 
       | razercfg                      | package    | 0.41-1.9  | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS) 
       | razercfg                      | package    | 0.41-1.9  | x86_64 | openSUSE:Factory 
       | razercfg                      | package    | 0.41-1.9  | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed 
       | razercfg                      | package    | 0.41-1.9  | i586   | Main Repository (OSS) 
       | razercfg                      | package    | 0.41-1.9  | i586   | openSUSE:Factory 
       | razercfg                      | package    | 0.41-1.9  | i586   | openSUSE:Tumbleweed 
       | razergenie                    | package    | 0.9.0-2.6 | x86_64 | hardware:razer 
       | razergenie                    | package    | 0.9.0-2.6 | i586   | hardware:razer 
       | razergenie                    | srcpackage | 0.9.0-2.6 | noarch | hardware:razer 
       | razergenie-debuginfo          | package    | 0.9.0-2.6 | x86_64 | hardware:razer 
       | razergenie-debuginfo          | package    | 0.9.0-2.6 | i586   | hardware:razer 
       | razergenie-debugsource        | package    | 0.9.0-2.6 | x86_64 | hardware:razer 
       | razergenie-debugsource        | package    | 0.9.0-2.6 | i586   | hardware:razer 

> sudo dkms status 
    Error! Could not locate dkms.conf file. 
    File: /var/lib/dkms/openrazer-driver/3.0.0/source/dkms.conf does not exist.
    Kind regards,
    Anthony

I revisited the page and it said to report bugs on Github, so I did; this is here: https://github.com/openSUSE/software-o-o/issues/993

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iqgrande View Post
    I revisited the page and it said to report bugs on Github, so I did; this is here: https://github.com/openSUSE/software-o-o/issues/993
    Hi and belated welcome to the Forum
    Unfortunately that is for the actual website, not packages... Head over to here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Oops! Sorry for the confusion and mistake. I tried going to the portal you listed however Bugzilla is not letting me log in (I can log in through other means and look at my profile, but I cannot get past the Bugzilla login phase). I will try later today (maybe something needs to update). Thoughts as to why I cannot log in? Would I characterize this bug under openSUSE in general or with OBS?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iqgrande View Post
    Oops! Sorry for the confusion and mistake. I tried going to the portal you listed however Bugzilla is not letting me log in (I can log in through other means and look at my profile, but I cannot get past the Bugzilla login phase). I will try later today (maybe something needs to update). Thoughts as to why I cannot log in? Would I characterize this bug under openSUSE in general or with OBS?
    Hi
    Third party package. No issues here logging in, clear all your openSUSE browser cookies, restart your browser and try again.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I was still having issues so I created a new bugzilla account. Anyways, the bug ticket is here: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1184671

I will close the other issue I opened in the wrong place.

Greetings:

Out of curiosity, are there others where this works correctly for them for the openrazer drivers, i.e., it does the updates appropriately? I'm just curious if this is an issue with my setup or if it is an issue in general with the openrazer drivers. Thank you for any insight.

Kind regards,
    Anthony