Thread: /etc/init.d now a symlink to a file

Question /etc/init.d now a symlink to a file

One of my server applications is old and still requires the use of "/etc/init.d" to start on boot. Upon preparations for migrating it to a new machine with a fresh Tumbleweed install, I noticed that "/etc/init.d" is now a symlink to "/usr/java/latest/.java/init.d/jexec". On my other machines, that file is symlinked to "/etc/init.d/jexec", so it looks like there might be some sort of bug in a java package. For some reason, my --provides-fu is weak right now, so I can't track it down exactly.

I can fix this by simply removing the symlink and creating the directory, but can somebody perhaps point me in a direction where I could look into this further?

Default Re: /etc/init.d now a symlink to a file

IMHO, you should move whatever you use init.d away from sysVinit to systemd.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Default Re: /etc/init.d now a symlink to a file

Quote Originally Posted by jdcholewa View Post
    One of my server applications is old and still requires the use of "/etc/init.d" to start on boot. Upon preparations for migrating it to a new machine with a fresh Tumbleweed install, I noticed that "/etc/init.d" is now a symlink to "/usr/java/latest/.java/init.d/jexec". On my other machines, that file is symlinked to "/etc/init.d/jexec", so it looks like there might be some sort of bug in a java package. For some reason, my --provides-fu is weak right now, so I can't track it down exactly.

I can fix this by simply removing the symlink and creating the directory, but can somebody perhaps point me in a direction where I could look into this further?
    Hi
    Perhaps update-alternatives for that error? You are better off to create a systemd service to start, they are not hard to create if your old iinit is pointing to a script....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!