Samba Shares for Windows

Hi All,

I have tried in vain to sort this myself but have now got into a BIG mess (why does it have to be so **** hard ?).

On my machine I have the following partition setup

File System: NTFS
Mount Point: /tmp/Folly_Data
Mount By: Volume Label
Label: Folly_Data
UUID: 26E71D7E25588

This is mounted, I have configured smb.conf with the following

[global]
workgroup = Folly.Office
netbios name = Folly_Data
server string = “”
local master = yes
os level = 65
passdb backend = tdbsam
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printcap cache time = 750
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
usershare allow guests = No
ldap admin dn =
wins server =
wins support = No

[Folly_Data]
    available = Yes
    browseable = Yes
    inherit acls = No
    path = /tmp/Folly_Data
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

and restarted smb.service/nmb.service

I can see the share from my Windows machine but have no permission to write to it (Permission Denied), I have tried

sudo chmod -R 777 /tmp/Folly_Data
sudo chown -R "myusername /tmp/Folly_Data

This hasn’t worked , Dolphin still shows the owner and group as root (I am guessing that this is what my problem is but dont really know)

Can someone point me in the right direction please ? - Sensible answers please

Regards

NTFS is a non-Linux file system type. It has no ownership, nor permission bits. To make it (more or less) usable inside Linux, user/owner and permission bits are faked. These fakes are decided at mount. I am not sure how you mount this one, when it is using an /etc/fsatb entry, then better post it. In

man mount

you can find how to use mount options to set another users:group then the default and same for permissions.

But why do you use an NTFS file system? As I see it you are not using it for direct access by a MS Windows system (in multi-boot).

I do not know much about Samba (no MS systems in the house), but I think with a Samba server you can share data from a Linux system and data on a Linux system is normally stored on a Linux file system.

==========

I see you are rather new here. Welcome and the following message:

There is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.

Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.

An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

Good catch Henk. I didn’t even notice that while reading the reported issue.

That notwithstanding, here’s a few of practical samba guides…

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

Ah, I haven’t seen this new thread when replying here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/552377-Disk-Partitioning-Question?p=3019358#post3019358
In a nutshell, no need to use NTFS.

Seeing the other thread I guess the OP mises some basic understanding about the one directory tree of Unix/Linux, how to build it with mounting file systems (and what is mounting) on one side and what is exactly exporting (to other Unix/linux systems) or sharing (to non-Linux systems) of parts of that directory tree.

It may also be that he did not adhere enough to the rule: When going to Linux, forget everything you learned about Windows.

I have some written some basic material about this, but it is all in Dutch and i assume there is enough about this in English to be found.

You need to map the user on the Windows machine to a suitable user on the Linux machine – possibly the one who owns the Samba Share or, a user who is a member of the Samba Share user group – with “write” permissions on the shared directory.

While this is true, there is additional consideration needed when sharing an NTFS filesystem via samba as Henk already mentioned. This is really the cause of the issue the OP has run into. Various mount options (including umask, fmask, dmask), can be employed to essentially emulate the ownership as required. Some info on this…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G

man mount.ntfs-3g

Please, please, please, never, ever, consider setting up a Samba Share where the owner of the exported directory which shall be writeable by the clients on the network, is the Linux (or UNIX®) user “root” – you’ll have to map the users on the clients to the Linux (system) user “root” – which is something that Samba doesn’t allow anyway …

• My personal preference is, to create sub-directories below the Linux system’s top level directories – which are usually owned by “root
    ” …*=2]The owners of the sub-directories, which are exported either as Samba Shares or NFS exports, are non-system (UID > 499 – GID > 999) pseudo-users – no login (the login shell is ‘/usr/sbin/nologin’), the home directory is the directory to be exported and, the password is locked and doesn’t exist …
  • The (writeable by the network clients) user directories included either in the Samba Share or, the NFS export, are owned by the Linux users who wish have their directories written by network clients …

It comes down to the UNIX® and Linux system philosophy that, the entire system shall not be visible to the network.

• The Redmond folks needed quite some time before, they also realised that, the idea is a sensible one … >:)

If you care to re-read the GOKIWI’s opening post, you’ll see that was not their intention. However the chmod and chown commands failed because NTFS does not support *nix permissions. They need to be emulated (or faked if you will) as already described. Best not to use that file system for sharing in a samba context.

Like @deano_ferrari already explained, the problem reported is due to using a non-Linux file system on Linux.
I see no use for a non-Linux file sytem here at all, the more because the OP has not explained why he uses an NTFS file system.

Until now this is not a Samba question/problem at all. As soon as it becomes one, I will quit from the thread due to lack of my knowledge about the finery of Samba serving.

Ooops – missed that … :shame:

But, and, as the ArchWiki article notes –

(the Linux kernel only supports reading NTFS)

• I suspect that, Samba isn’t using “NTFS-3G” – that’s a method using FUSE to allow Linux users to mount a local NTFS partition with read and write support …

The OP’s request for help mentions that, from a Redmond box the Share is visible but, not writeable …

• Yes, yes, the main issue is “NTFS partition on Linux” …

[HR][/HR]@GOKIWI:

Please be aware that, Samba is designed to share native Linux File Systems to Redmond (Windows) clients – where the Redmond box treats the remote File System as being a Microsoft File System even though, physically, in reality, it ain’t …

No, samba is not aware of the underlying file system. However, how the NTFS file system is mounted ultimately impacts the effective permissions, and thus samba in this case.

So partition deleted along with all associated config, re created as ext4 , mounted and accessible locally.

Then setup in Samba and the share was visible to my Windows hosts but still permission denied.

Launched Dolphin as root and changed user permission to create and et voila could read and write to the share from my windows hosts

However I am putting this down to luck, not science, knowledge or understanding - let the chaos theory abound !!

Next DNS and DHCP servers…“There’s a storm coming Harry”

Yes, getting the permissions right is key to this. Nice to read that you finally got there.

However I am putting this down to luck, not science, knowledge or understanding - let the chaos theory abound !!

Learning is part of the fun!

…using a HDD formated with NTFS as a samba share on a raspi for some years now, no problems. It was just an experiment, normally I use EXT4.

I have in /etc/fstab

#mount NAS 
UUID=D0780934A8091F3A /media/Sharedisk  ntfs-3g uid=1001,gid=1000,umask=007 0 0

No problems with Win7 or Linux clients.

There should be no issues, but as you show above, it does take care with making sure suitable permissions are set when mounted. :wink:

Thanks for sharing. Helped me with a similar problem.