Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenFOAM's Paraview Compilation "VTK undefined reference"

Default Re: OpenFOAM's Paraview Compilation "VTK undefined reference"

Ramkumar, I too work with openfoam. After seeing your problem with paraview I decided to upgrade to v8 openfoam to investigate your issues. Thus, a period of time has passed before my response. I too had many problems with compiling paraview including version numbers of qt-vtk libraries and other items but I found a workaround. Note: I am using leap 15.2 not tumbleweed.

openfoam has paraview in the repos. I installed v5.9 paraview through software management which is higher version than openfoam is using. I found the distro compiled version works fine analyzing a simple openfoam case. If you start paraview using, for example, in the cavity tutorial 1 case):

"paraFoam -builtin -case $FOAM_RUN/tutorials/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity/cavity". paraFoam is openfoam utility for calling paraview. This starts paraview in the cavity case directory with the data available to it.

Note the "- builtin" flag after paraFoam. This starts system paraview rather than local paraview.

I assume all paraview functionality is there but I have only run a simple case thus far.

Unless you enjoy the challenge of compiling paraview, this should get you started with openfoam v8, I will also continue compilation attempts when I need a challenge.

tom kosvic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tckosvic View Post
    Ramkumar, I too work with openfoam. After seeing your problem with paraview I decided to upgrade to v8 openfoam to investigate your issues. Thus, a period of time has passed before my response. I too had many problems with compiling paraview including version numbers of qt-vtk libraries and other items but I found a workaround. Note: I am using leap 15.2 not tumbleweed.

openfoam has paraview in the repos. I installed v5.9 paraview through software management which is higher version than openfoam is using. I found the distro compiled version works fine analyzing a simple openfoam case. If you start paraview using, for example, in the cavity tutorial 1 case):

Code:
    paraFoam -builtin -case $FOAM_RUN/tutorials/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity/cavity
    paraFoam is openfoam utility for calling paraview. This starts paraview in the cavity case directory with the data available to it.

Note the "- builtin" flag after paraFoam. This starts system paraview rather than local paraview.

I assume all paraview functionality is there but I have only run a simple case thus far.

Unless you enjoy the challenge of compiling paraview, this should get you started with openfoam v8, I will also continue compilation attempts when I need a challenge.

tom kosvic
    Going with what is on the OpenFOAM Downloads page, the same binary is likely distributed and will work for both LEAP 15.x and Tumbleweed, and v2012 likely compiled about 3 months ago more or less.
    Would be interesting if the package from openSUSE 15.2 is the same as the package from OpenFOAM... I'd expect both to be fine options to use, and I wonder if the built in Paraviiew is different or significantly different than providing separately as you seem to have done.

Note I modified your post slightly enclosing your parafoam command in CODE tags...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi,
    thank you for ur response..

"paraFoam -builtin -case $FOAM_RUN/tutorials/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity/cavity". paraFoam is openfoam utility for calling paraview. This starts paraview in the cavity case directory with the data available to it.

i am already used to repository version of paraview in loading/postProcessing the OpenFOAM cases.. but u might have noticed that it does not have very useful plugins of OpenFOAM, such as reading of zones and sets, visualizing block etc.. loading of zones and sets can be done by converting to vtk and loading it in paraview, but it is a difficult/timeConsuming process especially when we want to work with lot of zones/sets (like topoSet, setFields etc..).

i tried OpenFOAM v2012 from the science repository and faced following 2 issues,
    1) same paraview issue, "OpenFOAM_v2012-default" package does not involve the inbuilt paraview, hence paraFoam command calls for system paraview only.
    2) it calls for a separate terminal environment which makes me uncomfortable, especially when i try to code somethings and tinker with source codes

i think i can adjust with 2nd point, but not the first one.. hence i started to compile OpenFOAM manually, so that i can get the same feeling as i were using it on Ubuntu..

i switched to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed from Ubuntu mainly because, it is rolling distro and has official support for OpenFOAM..

i already compiled the OpenFOAM codes part, and it works perfectly, now only the paraview is causing issue.

please let me know once u successfully compiled Paraview part, so that i can get the instructions from u to try.

Thank you!

Ramkumar

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Sure, but any bug report will likely ask to use python3 and the later version for Tumbleweed.... I see you have a reply in the OBS project, best follow that path
    thank you!.. i hope i get something on the OBS post..

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Going with what is on the OpenFOAM Downloads page, the same binary is likely distributed and will work for both LEAP 15.x and Tumbleweed, and v2012 likely compiled about 3 months ago more or less.
    Would be interesting if the package from openSUSE 15.2 is the same as the package from OpenFOAM... I'd expect both to be fine options to use, and I wonder if the built in Paraviiew is different or significantly different than providing separately as you seem to have done.
    hi, i tried repository version of OpenFOAM v2012, the issue is that it does not contain the paraview with it, and requires paraview to be installed from repository only (i.e. system paraview) which do not contain the useful plugins of OpenFOAM, such as visualizing blockMesh's blocks, loading sets and zones easily etc.. sets and zones can be loaded by converting to VTK format, but it is a timeConsuming work especially when we work with lot of sets/zones (like topoSet, setFields etc..). This is the main reason why i am trying to compile OpenFOAM from source.

second reason is that, repository's version of OpenFOAM creates a separate terminal environment which makes me uncomfortable to use..

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Note I modified your post slightly enclosing your parafoam command in CODE tags...
    TSU
    oh, sorry, i missed that.. thank you!

In response to tsu2 re: paraview versions.

opensuse software repos distribute paraview 5.9.0 as system files

openfoam third party files are trying to locally install 5.6.3

I have no idea of the relative differences between the two.

I continue to look at the openfoam thirdparty file compilation of paraview 5.6.3
    If solution found will post it.

I am at configuration error in compiling thirdparty paraview with "./makeParaView" command. Configuration hangs at error below:

Code:
    Make Error at VTK/CMake/vtkQt.cmake:6 (message):
      Expected value for VTK_QT_VERSION is '5'
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      VTK/GUISupport/Qt/CMakeLists.txt:1 (include)

Has anyone found what package needs upgrading to get past this error? I find nothing with this name. QT5 is installed. Internet search has revealed that this message has been seen before. I have added packages that others have found to satisfy this requirement to no avail.

Blog Entries

I am at configuration error in compiling thirdparty paraview with "./makeParaView" command. Configuration hangs at error below:

Code:
    Make Error at VTK/CMake/vtkQt.cmake:6 (message):
      Expected value for VTK_QT_VERSION is '5'
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      VTK/GUISupport/Qt/CMakeLists.txt:1 (include)

Has anyone found what package needs upgrading to get past this error? I find nothing with this name. QT5 is installed. Internet search has revealed that this message has been seen before. I have added packages that others have found to satisfy this requirement to no avail.
    I think it's pretty obvious that the Qt framework installed in your Tumbleweed is a major version 6 while the code expected 5.
    This is probably going to be a very common issue if you decide to do your coding on Tumbleweed because everything in it changes so fast.
    I'm not sure how Qt framework versioning is handled when you do command line coding, I know that if you were using the IDE Qt-Creator, it can handle multiple versions of Qt side by side on a system.
    You can try going into your compile manifest and modify it to support v6, that ordinarily should not be a problem.

So, if you want to compile, there are several options...
    - Fix the manifest yourself (or will a compile flag successfully overrule?)
    - Use QT-creator to install Qt5 and use that to compile
    - Install virtualization and compile within a virtual machine. I would have recommended this anyway, because coding environments can be picky and pollute your main install, I prefer to do all my coding in virtual machines to isolate the required changes and discard easily when done without affecting my main machine. If you install LEAP within a virtual machine, you should be able to successfully compile in a default Qt5 environment. Once the binary has been compiled, if there are no dependencies it should be able to run on both LEAP and Tumbleweed (and maybe other Linux as well).

BTW -
    I don't know if I was clear in my post that OpenFOAM provides its own pre-compiled packages for SUSE which should work fine on both TW and LEAP.
    You should try it as an alternative to the package from openSUSE, it might have an older but acceptable working Paraview pre-compiled within it.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

TW is using Qt6, but Qt6 is not ready completely.
    Try to use Leap 15.2 with default Qt5.
    With TW you may use virtual machine with Leap 15.2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    TW is using Qt6, but Qt6 is not ready completely.
    Try to use Leap 15.2 with default Qt5.
    With TW you may use virtual machine with Leap 15.2.
    I also noticed that there is an installable pattern for a Qt5 development environment but not for Qt6 on Tumbleweed.
    I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, but it does raise the question how was the Qt development environment set up on this Tumbleweed?

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast