Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot after setting up 2 monitors

Default Unable to boot after setting up 2 monitors

Hi,

Yesterday, I set up 2 new monitors, and it was working fine. There is no indication of any problems, nor does the system warn of insufficient memory. I shut down the computer from the Gnome GUI. This morning, when I try to start the computer, while beginning the loading process, the "pointer" always blink at the top left corner for a long time, and it would not proceed. Despite me trying ctrl-alt-del, restarting the computer, or just switching off the power altogether, the booting sequence seems to always get stuck with the "pointer" blinking...

When I go to grub, I have the below:

https://paste.opensuse.org/79195370

May I know if there is some way I can boot from here?

Thank you.

Default Re: Unable to boot after setting up 2 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by by79 View Post
    Hi,

Yesterday, I set up 2 new monitors, and it was working fine. There is no indication of any problems, nor does the system warn of insufficient memory. I shut down the computer from the Gnome GUI. This morning, when I try to start the computer, while beginning the loading process, the "pointer" always blink at the top left corner for a long time, and it would not proceed. Despite me trying ctrl-alt-del, restarting the computer, or just switching off the power altogether, the booting sequence seems to always get stuck with the "pointer" blinking...

When I go to grub, I have the below:

https://paste.opensuse.org/79195370

May I know if there is some way I can boot from here?

Thank you.
    Can you see how far it gets through the boot sequence? Is there any disk activity? Do you get either a text output of the boot process or the graphic screen with the Leap logo? If you hit ctr-alt-F1 do you get to a login prompt?

Hi JulinaB,

I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1, key in my usename and password...I guess I have completed the booting in command line?

https://paste.opensuse.org/50435067

Thanks again.

I guess I have completed the booting in command line?
    Can I just type
    Code:
    startx
    ?

Have you, by any chance, automatic login enabled. When that is the case, you probably are not really able to tell if this is a boot problem or a login problem.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by by79 View Post
    Can I just type
    Code:
    startx
    ?
    By the sounds of it X was running but displaying nothing on terminal 7 as such startx probably won't work. Switching to terminal 1 with ctrl-alt-F1 got you a login screen on that terminal which suggests that you need to reconfigure X (not my strong point).

Note from X (terminal 7) you need ctrl-alt-Fn (where 'n' is the terminal number 1-7) to get a text terminal. To switch from a text terminal it's alt-Fn without the ctrl.

Have you, by any chance, automatic login enabled. When that is the case, you probably are not really able to tell if this is a boot problem or a login problem.
    Hi,

All the while, when I start my computer, it will bring me to the login GUI...I did not knowingly enabled, or disabled, automatic login...so I guess I am just using the default mode...

Quote Originally Posted by JulinaB View Post
    By the sounds of it X was running but displaying nothing on terminal 7 as such startx probably won't work. Switching to terminal 1 with ctrl-alt-F1 got you a login screen on that terminal which suggests that you need to reconfigure X (not my strong point).

Note from X (terminal 7) you need ctrl-alt-Fn (where 'n' is the terminal number 1-7) to get a text terminal. To switch from a text terminal it's alt-Fn without the ctrl.
    When I go to ctrl-alt-F7, it is that pointer blinking at the top left corner...

Blog Entries

To start, login wherever you can, open YaST and ensure automatic login is not enabled. If you found it enabled, disable it, then reboot.

After waiting long enough for the login GUI to appear, do Ctrl-Alt-F1. Then after a pause of 3+ seconds, do Ctrl-Alt-F2 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F3 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F4 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F5 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F6 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F7 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F8 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F9 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F10 pause. If you cannot reach a GUI screen, repeat using longer pauses. Which, if any, F key(s) result in a GUI screen?

Does anything change if you swap video cables between the two displays?

How exactly did you set up two monitors?

What graphics "chip(s)" are you using, AMD, Intel, NVidia, something else, more than one?

How old is this PC?

Exact Input/Output (using code tags enclosing this information) from inxi -GMxx will help us help you, preferably done from a GUI terminal rather than from a full terminal screen. This output will answer the graphics chip and age questions best. If you are unsure how to get this information from your PC to this forum, try this way:
    Code:
    inxi -GMxx | susepaste
    and provide the resulting URL here instead. Do also:
    Code:
    susepaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    If the susepaste command produces errors, go to http://susepaste.org/ and open the Recent link. Sometimes the error is erroneous. If it still errors, try the same way you did for your image uploads by first redirecting inxi output to a file that you can upload, and upload Xorg.0.log in similar fashion.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Hi mrmazda,

I followed your directions...

To start, login wherever you can, open YaST and ensure automatic login is not enabled. If you found it enabled, disable it, then reboot.
    I disabled the autologin...pls see below:

https://susepaste.org/75112407

After waiting long enough for the login GUI to appear, do Ctrl-Alt-F1. Then after a pause of 3+ seconds, do Ctrl-Alt-F2 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F3 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F4 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F5 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F6 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F7 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F8 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F9 pause, Ctrl-Alt-F10 pause. If you cannot reach a GUI screen, repeat using longer pauses. Which, if any, F key(s) result in a GUI screen?
    Can't locate the GUI...

Does anything change if you swap video cables between the two displays?
    Both monitors are showing the same display.

Code:
    inxi -GMxx
    https://susepaste.org/99975097

Code:
    susepaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    https://susepaste.org/22540799

Thank you for your help.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast