Discourse

Hello,

I have to say that that forum looks very outdated. It is not something new users would like to use to get help.
My suggestion is to use Discourse which is used by many open source communities. This would be a step to improve the image of openSUSE, a very good but hidden distro.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

It is my understanding that there are people looking into replacement forum software. And I think “discourse” is being looked at. But change takes time and planning.

Nice to hear that! I hope this happens soon, since I have read that openSUSE could be an alternative to CentOS. Switchers need a better platform :wink:

Thanks for the fast reply!

openSUSE is a very long standing mainstream distro with a huge user and support base
Once you know your way around it, you’ll be hard pressed to beat it.

Looking at the Discourse web site, it seems to be “First entry at the top – answers follow below” – follows “Stack Exchange”, “Stack Overflow”, “Reddit” & Co. …

• The current openSUSE Forum follows the “First entry at the bottom – answers are stacked on top
    ” paradigm …

Discourse also seems to offer a “trimmed for mobile telephones” display mode …

Stack Exchange/Overflow have a “comments to an answer” feature …
[HR][/HR]I have absolutely no idea which paradigm is psychologically “better” from a new member view …
[HR][/HR]What is “outdated” anyway?

• For some people, a library is “outdated
    ” – an art gallery can also be viewed as being “outdated” – live concerts also – also cinema … - Non-foiling yachts are possibly also “outdated
    ” … - Or, for the case of this forum, is the eye candy “outdated
    ”?

I agree with @dcurtisfra and only hope that our way of helping is also “outdated” by being friendly and useful. Because that is what counts IMHO.

:good: +1 :good:

No, it doesn’t. There’s a user setting to choose which order.

And I guess that is the default. I can not remember that I changes something and the newer posts are always below the older posts.

Yes, pretty much the same here. I may have changed that long ago, but I wasn’t keeping notes. And I see newer replies at the bottom.

Maybe, I never changed it – possibly, I’m still using the default …

• The Bugzilla default is, possibly, also “newest answer at the bottom
    ” …

When I’m not logged into this Forum, the initial Post is at the top of the list …

• Help!

While trying the various personalisation settings, I changed to the “Mobile” interface – and can’t work out how to return to the “normal” settings …
I’ll be back later …
[HR][/HR]Found it → “Full Site” …

You didn’t mention if, you took a look at the hybrid view – <SUSE Paste;

I have avoided Mobile settings, and I have avoided using the forum from a mobile device.

The only place where I see “Mobile” is in the style settings. It shows “standard styles” as “openSUSE-CMS” and “basic-green”. I am using “basic-green”. The only “mobile style” that it shows is “Default Mobile Style”. There seems to be a chooser on every page. For me (using “basic-green”) the chooser is near the bottom left. But I seem to recall that it is in a different location if I use a different style.

For reading the forum, I have it set to “linear mode - oldest first”.

AFAICS, one of the seemingly advantages of Discourse is, the “mobile telephone mode” – when walking down the street or, moving in general or, simply sitting around – swipe; swipe; swipe …

• This ability, important for some, is a “hidden – only discoverable in the settings
    ” feature of this forum …

Until today, I never knew that, we had the feature …

Discourse user interface is a massive, unbelieveable pile of <cuss>.

The whole interface is 100% designed towards being used on a phone or a tablet, no one in the UI team has ever thought about using it on a computer. For example on my 4k display the maximum width of the “forum” is ONE FOURTH OF THE SCREEN.

I suggested years ago that f.o.o should use IPB or newer VB which would bring new tools, more responsive UI and so forth but back then everyone was “but NTP…”

I stand in total opposition to OP. I’ve snooped around other distros and none of the so-called help forums were as useful or complete as this one. Most are physically unattractive and off-putting. That’s partially because of the attitude of the “helpers.” I shudder if a google search tells me to go to the ubuntu forum; and that’s the best of the bunch. I admit I’m a taker, not a helper but the header on my posts says “Join date 2008.” That’s because I lost my original password and joined as a new user then. Regardless, as a 10+ year user, I’ve seen nothing better.