Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharing printers on the LAN

Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

I said one part poorly. localhost:631/admin shows the Mac-connected printer in the "Manage Printers" section, and it is shown as "idle."

Just repeating the problem description:

My son has an OpenSUSE 15.2 machine, and I'm running 15.2 on an old iMac. He has a printer connected via USB to his machine; works well (simple HP LaserJet). He's wired, I'm wireless, but we're both on the LAN in the house. I want his machine to share that printer so I can print to it.
    Based on your last email your computer now see the remote printer but printing is still not working.

Can you find the IP address of your son's computer and try opening "http://<ip_addr>:631/admin"
    If that works, try printing a test page using the Maintainance --> Print Test Page.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DesertMan View Post
    Okay. This was not going well. In fact it went sufficiently not-well that I erased and tried fedora. Don't like it. Re-installed openSUSE. This new install 'sees' the printer connected to the Mac right out of the box, but no longer 'sees' the one connected to the other openSUSE machine.

However, when I try to print to the printer hooked to the Mac, nothing prints and shortly my machine says "unable to locate printer" when I look at the print queue in the status and notifications tool on the task bar. The printer is on and awake, as is the Mac it is connected to. YaST reports that the printer is "Ready," and the setup screens you all had me check at localhost:631 appear to be correct.

You all had suggested printing to a raw print queue. That is how SUSE set up the Mac-attached printer initially and automatically, so I'm already there.

What's the deal here?
    See posts #12 and #16.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    Just repeating the problem description:

Based on your last email your computer now see the remote printer but printing is still not working.

Can you find the IP address of your son's computer and try opening "http://<ip_addr>:631/admin"
    If that works, try printing a test page using the Maintainance --> Print Test Page.
    Actually, my openSUSE machine no longer sees the other openSUSE machine's printer, though YaST on that machine still says to allow printing from the local network, and to advertize on the local network.

The printer my machine sees is the one connected to an iMac. At this point, I'd be happy to be able to print to it, but ultimately I'd like to be able to choose to either print to it or to the one connected to my son's machine, since the two printers do different things well.

I can get to http://<ip_addr>:631 on my son's openSUSE machine. However, I can _not_ get to the admin section. That says "FORBIDDEN."

karlmistelberger, I do not know what "run linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 on server" means. That's not a piece of software YaST recognizes, and it's not a command recognized in the terminal on my son's machine.
    His machine's yast > printer > print via network area is already set as you suggest.
    When I try to change my machine to print everything to a single CUPS server, I get the error that the configuration was not written because "a locally running CUPS daemon is still accessible."

Blog Entries

I do not know what "run linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 on server" means. That's not a piece of software YaST recognizes, and it's not a command recognized in the terminal on my son's machine.
    It's the name of my printer installer. Your son presumably has a different printer model and thus needs to run a different printer install command. Consult the documentation of your printer manufacturer. Make sure the printer driver is installed on his machine and the machine actually prints.

His machine's yast > printer > print via network area is already set as you suggest.
    Does your son's machine print? Make sure it does by actually printing a page.

When I try to change my machine to print everything to a single CUPS server, I get the error that the configuration was not written because "a locally running CUPS daemon is still accessible."
    Messages from yast2 > printer can be confusing. Make sure the local CUPS daemon on your machine is stopped. Then configure as already described above: yast2 printer > print via network > Do all printing via one single CUPS server > OK.

As a result of this action the following line (in bold) is appended to the file /etc/cups/client.conf on my client host 3400G:
    Code:
    3400G:~ # cat /etc/cups/client.conf  
    # CUPS client configuration file (optional). 

# You may use /etc/cups/client.conf (system wide) 
    # or ~/.cups/client.conf (per user). 
    # For more information see "man 5 client.conf". 

# The ServerName directive specifies the remote server 
    # that is to be used for all client operations. That is, it 
    # redirects all client requests directly to that remote server 
    # so that a local running cupsd is not used in this case. 
    # The default is to use the local server ("localhost") or domain socket. 
    # Only one ServerName directive may appear. 
    # If multiple names are present, only the last one is used. 
    # The default port number is 631 but can be overridden by adding 
    # a colon followed by the desired port number. 
    # The default IPP version is 2.0 but can be overridden by adding 
    # a slash followed by version=V where V is 1.0 or 1.1 or 2.0 or 2.1 or 2.2. 
    # IPP version 2.0 does do not work with CUPS 1.3 or older servers. 
    # If an CUPS 1.3 or older server is used, its older IPP version 
    # must be specified as .../version=1.1 or .../version=1.0. 

# Examples: 
    # ServerName sever.example.com 
    # ServerName 192.0.2.10 
    # ServerName sever.example.com:8631 
    # ServerName older.server.example.com/version=1.1 
    # ServerName older.server.example.com:8631/version=1.1 

ServerName erlangen 
    3400G:~ #
    'erlangen' is the host name of my machine running the CUPS server. On your machine use the host name of your son's machine.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Actually, my openSUSE machine no longer sees the other openSUSE machine's printer, though YaST on that machine still says to allow printing from the local network, and to advertize on the local network.
    That sounds just like my issues I am having sometimes. Same, right now with a fresh set up for a friends computer - it can't "see" the printer in YaST although everything is set to make the printer available on the server side. (It used to work before.) Using the browser didn't ever help - although the printer is visible. I may have to blame my incompete at that point.

What eventually works here is manually adding the URI using YaST - connection wizard. There I put something like:
    Code:
    ipp://10.1.1.1/printers/exportednameofprinterqueue
    Then enter the brand of the printer in that dialogue and let YaST search the driver.

I can get to http://<ip_addr>:631 on my son's openSUSE machine. However, I can _not_ get to the admin section. That says "FORBIDDEN."
    I'm not sure if that was the same issue but it appears to be similar. I kept having permission issues although I set all available permissions to "allow". I had to be root to access or modify the printer queue. That's why I ended up exporting the raw queue, only, making sure the local (client's) permissions are applied.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    That sounds just like my issues I am having sometimes. Same, right now with a fresh set up for a friends computer - it can't "see" the printer in YaST although everything is set to make the printer available on the server side. (It used to work before.) Using the browser didn't ever help - although the printer is visible. I may have to blame my incompete at that point.

What eventually works here is manually adding the URI using YaST - connection wizard. There I put something like:
    Code:
    ipp://10.1.1.1/printers/exportednameofprinterqueue
    Then enter the brand of the printer in that dialogue and let YaST search the driver.

I'm not sure if that was the same issue but it appears to be similar. I kept having permission issues although I set all available permissions to "allow". I had to be root to access or modify the printer queue. That's why I ended up exporting the raw queue, only, making sure the local (client's) permissions are applied.
    I never have done what you recommend. I never had the above issues. My configuration works:

On erlangen (CUPS server): Configure local printers. With "yast2 > printers" check:
    • Printer Configurations > Local
    • Print via Network >Accept Printer Announcement form CUPS Servers
    • Share Printers > Allow Remote Access > For computers within the local network
    • localhost:631 works
    • localhost:631/admin works
    • erlangen:631 works
    • erlangen:631/admin forbidden

On 3400G (CUPS client): Don't try to configure local printers. With "yast2 > printers" check
    • Printer Configurations > Remote
    • Print via Network > Do All Printing Directly via One Single CUPS Server > erlangen;
    • Button Test Server message: The server 'erlangen' is accessible via port 631 (IPP/CUPS)
    • localhost:631 error!
    • localhost:631/admin error!
    • erlangen:631 works
    • erlangen:631/admin forbidden

Hi karlmistelberger,

I understand your irritation and I can not even describe my issues properly as it seems to vary with upgrades or fresh installs. I am pretty sure I have done everything you have listed - several times. I can easily access myserver:631/admin from the client etc. Still, in YaST the exported queues are not always automatically "seen" in YaST. (Sometimes it worked out of the box, though.) Apparently YaST not "seeing" the printer queue doesn't have to mean it isn't there and accessible. However, I'll not try to check this by changing anything as it is working very well and reproducably on 3 machines, now. I just wanted to share one possible way worth trying.
    I know, it's not very analytical nor professional - just pragmatic.

Kasi, it does sound like we have at least a very similar problem. It’s particularly confusing that openSUSE behaves differently simply because I reinstalled it from scratch (the previous install was only a few days old anyway).

Blog Entries

Been awhile since I've set up and troubleshot printers,
    But following might be helpful.

I typically install hplip on all my machines, even if you're not printing to an HP printer, it always helped me regarding discovering printers and printer servers.
    As others have discussed, if there are not MSWindows machines in your network, you should probably be using IPP (Internet Print Protocol) between your client machines and the machine running your CUPS Server (likely attached directly to your Printer). If you have MSWindows machines in your network, then you'll probably do better using the SMB protocol so that your printers will show up as a network resource on Windows machines.

As for openSUSE documentation,
    There appears to be hardly anything, but there is a very brief page in the Gnome part of the documentation that applies to all openSUSE and not just Gnome
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ome-print.html

An SDB last updated in 2017 appears to contain factual content that should still work today, but does not seem to know that IPP should be the default today. There are numerous useful commands to test your connection however you set up CUPS
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_TCP/IP_network

Probably the best documentation again last updated in 2017 I could find that describes using the YaST Printer module to setup. Importantly lists several tools that can be used to complete the Printer setup (You likely won't be successful using only YaST).
    https://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Printer

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast