Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Sharing printers on the LAN

  1. #1

    Default Sharing printers on the LAN

    Hello, all. I used SuSE for ages (starting well over 20 years ago), but have been away from linux altogether for a few years now. Now I have need of it again, and I am struggling.

    My son has an OpenSUSE 15.2 machine, and I'm running 15.2 on an old iMac. He has a printer connected via USB to his machine; works well (simple HP LaserJet). He's wired, I'm wireless, but we're both on the LAN in the house. I want his machine to share that printer so I can print to it. I've told YaST to make that happen. It says 'ok.' My machine says there are no network-connected printers available. Both our machines' firewalls are set to allow cups on the "local" interface, and both our machines are set to have our network adapters on the "local" interface.

    What do I need to do to get his printer shared on the LAN, and to get mine to see and use it?

    On a related note, my wife's iMac is sharing a printer on the local network, but neither of our openSuSE machines acknowledge its existence. An Ubuntu installation saw it fine, but for other reasons I erased Ubuntu (not realizing I might need configuration info from it for this problem, since it wasn't a problem to see and set up on Ubuntu).

    What do I need to do to get our openSuSE installations to see the shared printer on the iMac?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,862
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertMan View Post
    Hello, all. I used SuSE for ages (starting well over 20 years ago), but have been away from linux altogether for a few years now. Now I have need of it again, and I am struggling.

    My son has an OpenSUSE 15.2 machine, and I'm running 15.2 on an old iMac. He has a printer connected via USB to his machine; works well (simple HP LaserJet). He's wired, I'm wireless, but we're both on the LAN in the house. I want his machine to share that printer so I can print to it. I've told YaST to make that happen. It says 'ok.' My machine says there are no network-connected printers available. Both our machines' firewalls are set to allow cups on the "local" interface, and both our machines are set to have our network adapters on the "local" interface.

    What do I need to do to get his printer shared on the LAN, and to get mine to see and use it?

    On a related note, my wife's iMac is sharing a printer on the local network, but neither of our openSuSE machines acknowledge its existence. An Ubuntu installation saw it fine, but for other reasons I erased Ubuntu (not realizing I might need configuration info from it for this problem, since it wasn't a problem to see and set up on Ubuntu).

    What do I need to do to get our openSuSE installations to see the shared printer on the iMac?

    Thanks.
    Welcome aboard. The distro is now known as openSUSE of course. CUPS uses Avahi to advertise printers these days. So make sure to allow mdns if you have an active firewall on a given host.

    Some pertinent references:
    https://www.cups.org/doc/firewalls.html
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rinter_sharing
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Thank you for your reply. I was out with my family yesterday evening. I re-started openSUSE this morning and, without having changed a thing since posting my request for help, the system 'sees' both of the shared printers on the LAN in the YaST printer section (the one on my son's openSUSE system is listed twice), and also on the taskbar in the lower right corner. I must have not got a daemon or service (re-)started or something, after my initial setup and troubleshooting efforts, though I did try.

    Sadly, printing fails to both printers (even test page printing in the YaST setup section). What do I need to chase now?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,862
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertMan View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I was out with my family yesterday evening. I re-started openSUSE this morning and, without having changed a thing since posting my request for help, the system 'sees' both of the shared printers on the LAN in the YaST printer section (the one on my son's openSUSE system is listed twice), and also on the taskbar in the lower right corner. I must have not got a daemon or service (re-)started or something, after my initial setup and troubleshooting efforts, though I did try.

    Sadly, printing fails to both printers (even test page printing in the YaST setup section). What do I need to chase now?
    Read the ArchLinux wiki page I linked to already. That should explain all that is necessary.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,862
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Some additional information here...
    https://www.cups.org/doc/sharing.html
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertMan View Post
    Hello, all. I used SuSE for ages (starting well over 20 years ago), but have been away from linux altogether for a few years now. Now I have need of it again, and I am struggling.

    My son has an OpenSUSE 15.2 machine, and I'm running 15.2 on an old iMac. He has a printer connected via USB to his machine; works well (simple HP LaserJet). He's wired, I'm wireless, but we're both on the LAN in the house. I want his machine to share that printer so I can print to it. I've told YaST to make that happen. It says 'ok.' My machine says there are no network-connected printers available. Both our machines' firewalls are set to allow cups on the "local" interface, and both our machines are set to have our network adapters on the "local" interface.

    What do I need to do to get his printer shared on the LAN, and to get mine to see and use it?

    On a related note, my wife's iMac is sharing a printer on the local network, but neither of our openSuSE machines acknowledge its existence. An Ubuntu installation saw it fine, but for other reasons I erased Ubuntu (not realizing I might need configuration info from it for this problem, since it wasn't a problem to see and set up on Ubuntu).

    What do I need to do to get our openSuSE installations to see the shared printer on the iMac?

    Thanks.
    I installed a HL-L2350DW several months ago:
    • It shows up in the router and accepts print jobs.
    • I can access all my printers e.g. from host 3400G by pointing my browser to host erlangen using: http://erlangen:631/printers/

    Does that work with your setup?
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,862
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    I installed a HL-L2350DW several months ago:
    • It shows up in the router and accepts print jobs.
    • I can access all my printers e.g. from host 3400G by pointing my browser to host erlangen using: http://erlangen:631/printers/

    Does that work with your setup?
    The OP mentioned that they have USB-connected printer, hence their reference to a host acting as the CUPS server. Much easier with network-connected printers of course.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertMan View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I was out with my family yesterday evening. I re-started openSUSE this morning and, without having changed a thing since posting my request for help, the system 'sees' both of the shared printers on the LAN in the YaST printer section (the one on my son's openSUSE system is listed twice), and also on the taskbar in the lower right corner. I must have not got a daemon or service (re-)started or something, after my initial setup and troubleshooting efforts, though I did try.

    Sadly, printing fails to both printers (even test page printing in the YaST setup section). What do I need to chase now?
    Just guessing! I kept having such problems due to double filtering - sometimes I guess. If you export your printer queue filtered you may have issues if you try to set up the filtering on the client on top of it. You may try and export it as a raw queue, only.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Read the ArchLinux wiki page I linked to already. That should explain all that is necessary.
    The problem appears to me to be on my machine rather than the 'print servers,' since I cannot print to either the other openSUSE machine or the Mac. I will re-read the arch linux page tomorrow, but it doesn't appear to get at the issue. It was helpful in getting the one machine to advertize and the other to 'see' the printer(s), though, so thank you for that.

    At this point the 'printers' dialogue down on the lower right of the task bar reports the printers correctly as to what and where they are, but the pages I've tried to send to them are "Paused - Rendering completed." Telling it to re-start the print process tries to re-start the process, but shortly it reverts to "Paused - Rendering completed."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    2,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sharing printers on the LAN

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertMan View Post
    The problem appears to me to be on my machine rather than the 'print servers,' since I cannot print to either the other openSUSE machine or the Mac. I will re-read the arch linux page tomorrow, but it doesn't appear to get at the issue. It was helpful in getting the one machine to advertize and the other to 'see' the printer(s), though, so thank you for that.

    At this point the 'printers' dialogue down on the lower right of the task bar reports the printers correctly as to what and where they are, but the pages I've tried to send to them are "Paused - Rendering completed." Telling it to re-start the print process tries to re-start the process, but shortly it reverts to "Paused - Rendering completed."
    Check page http://localhost:631/admin for correct settings.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •