Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tumbleweed won't boot after update

Default Re: tumbleweed won't boot after update

Quote Originally Posted by marozsas View Post
    ... I've uninstalled the nvidia drivers and switched to noveau
    Did you check (after you had removed the proprietary NVIDIA driver) that nouveau is no longer blacklisted?

Regards

susejunky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marozsas View Post
    I've uninstalled the nvidia drivers and switched to noveau to fix the first problem with the proprietary nvidia driver.
    No graphical mode either (X11)
    NVidia eradication is apparently not a simple process. Was the following part of your uninstallation process?:
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

The BRTFS error was fixed.

I opened a issue in bugzilla and I got the following answer and the solution that fixed the problem.

Goldwyn Rodrigues 2021-03-29 12:52:41 UTC
    The filesystem is corrupt with respect to total_bytes of the device stored. It does not manifest in earlier kernels because the following patch was added later:

commit 3a160a933111241376799244e3587747af574b89
    Author: Anand Jain <anand.jain@oracle.com>
    Date: Tue Nov 3 13:49:42 2020 +0800

btrfs: drop never met disk total bytes check in verify_one_dev_extent

[reply] [−]Comment 4Goldwyn Rodrigues 2021-03-29 13:26:11 UTC
    Assuming the problem is on the root filesystem, could you try:

# btrfs fi resize 685579636736 /

and check if it is able to boot in the newer kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Did you check (after you had removed the proprietary NVIDIA driver) that nouveau is no longer blacklisted?

Regards

susejunky
    uhm...I am not sure the proper way to test if a package is blacklisted but "zypper search nouveau" shows "i+" on "S" column. I had seen blacklisted packages shows as a "l" (non-capital L) on that column....
    The same for "zypper search nvidia", so I suppose I do not have any blacklisted packages in my system, am I right ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    NVidia eradication is apparently not a simple process. Was the following part of your uninstallation process?:
    No ! It was not part of unistallation process !
    Anyway:
    Code:
    kimera:~ # zypper search libglvnd
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                 | Summary                                | Type
    ---+----------------------+----------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | libglvnd             | The GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library | package
    i+ | libglvnd-32bit       | The GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library | package
       | libglvnd-devel       | Development files for libglvnd         | package
       | libglvnd-devel-32bit | Development files for libglvnd         | package
    kimera:~ #

All I did was disabling the nvidia repo on yast and proceed to the dist-update.
    As far I understand, as there is a new kernel version, that new version will not get the nvidia driver, but the existing kernel/init ram disk will not be touched.
    However I do not know how to remove the nvidia kernel from the current kernel/initiramdisk .

Could you provide instructions, please ?
    I've found tons of posts about how to INSTALL NVidia driver, none how to UNinstall it and that mention libglvnd...

Blog Entries

My post #12 provides a link to a very recent instance where zypper in -f libglvnd solved an incomplete NVidia eradication problem. It's my incomplete understanding about NVidia driver installation, since I never install it on any of my own hardware, that the installation instructions include uninstallation instructions that must be followed in order to completely eradicate the installation, a part of which may include tainting of some standard library, at least one of which is provided by libglvnd.

As to blacklisting, my knowlege is also incomplete. All I know about blacklisting nouveau is that it is configured somewhere in /etc/mod*, which takes effect in initrds, thus requiring initrds be rebuilt as part of the process of eliminating NVidia's proprietary drivers any time that their installation included blacklisting.
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    My post #12 provides a link to a very recent instance where zypper in -f libglvnd solved an incomplete NVidia eradication problem. It's my incomplete understanding about NVidia driver installation, since I never install it on any of my own hardware, that the installation instructions include uninstallation instructions that must be followed in order to completely eradicate the installation, a part of which may include tainting of some standard library, at least one of which is provided by libglvnd.

As to blacklisting, my knowlege is also incomplete. All I know about blacklisting nouveau is that it is configured somewhere in /etc/mod*, which takes effect in initrds, thus requiring initrds be rebuilt as part of the process of eliminating NVidia's proprietary drivers any time that their installation included blacklisting.
    Hi
    I don't see how a standard distribution library that can be installed by any user at any time irrespective of hardware causes an issue. The likely case is failure to remove the nouveau blacklist file AND running mkinitrd to include back in. I may also pay to check dracut configuration as well to ensure nouveau is not in the omit drivers.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    I don't see how a standard distribution library that can be installed by any user at any time irrespective of hardware causes an issue.
    I think #67 in the other thread makes it evident it can be, since force reinstalling libglvnd was OP's ultimate solution. Possibly the only change from the forced re-installation was to (a) library symlink(s), leaving, as might NVidia driver installation, the original libglvnd libraries intact?

The likely case is failure to remove the nouveau blacklist file AND running mkinitrd to include back in. I may also pay to check dracut configuration as well to ensure nouveau is not in the omit drivers.
    As ample evidence in forums and mailing list archives presents, no doubt these are parts of of NVidia taint eradication often stumbled over.

To close this thread, it was told me to stick with the nvidia driver and re-install it (https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1182666)
    Re-enabling the proprietary nvidia driver and blacklisting nouveau I got a working system again.

As far I understand, there was a problem both with nouveau and nvidia in the recent updates, and the nvidia problem was already fixed.

Unfortunately there was another problem related with pam-unix ( https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1184314 ) than I managed to fix after a few days.

thank you very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12