Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: qemu/kvm, user management, create, launch, create a bridge, use a bridge

Blog Entries

Default Re: Re : qemu/kvm, user management, create, launch, create a bridge, use a bridge

Quote Originally Posted by promeneur View Post
    HOW to get 3D accel ?

1. You need to install the last version of libvirt (7.0.0),qemu (5.2.0), virgl renderer 0.8.2

For this

- with Yast sofware manager install the repo

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SUSE_Leap_15.2

name it "Current KVM Builds"

- refresh the repo

- return to the package management

- go to the repo "Current KVM Builds"

- click on "replace the system packages" and refuse to delete postfix

replace "-device qxl" by "-device virtio-vga,virgl=on -display gtk,gl=on"

there is a caveat. i get a tiny window.
    qemu does not take care automatically of the kernel option "vga=1280x960".
    i must in "view" menu of the vm uncheck "zoom to fit" to get a window of size 1290x960.

In my case 3D accel is useless but perhaps for you it is useful.

Enjoy
    Hi,
    Believe you have an error in your repo URI, here is the zypper command with the corrected URI to do what you describe although I strongly recommend never creating labels with spaces in the names unless there is a good reason to do so..
    Code:
    zypper ar -f https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/frispete:/15.2:/kvm/openSUSE_Leap_15.2/ "Current KVM Builds"
    As for your modifications to get your desired screen resolution,
    I'm pretty sure if you set that resolution in your Guest the first time you run your machine and then poweroff,
    The next time you boot up, your settings will be remembered and default settings should automatically re-size your console.

Good stuff...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re : qemu/kvm, user management, create, launch, create a bridge, use a bridge

I get an answer from qemu team about "qemu does not take care automatically of the kernel option "vga=1280x960".
    I must in "view" menu of the vm uncheck "zoom to fit" to get a window of size 1290x960." in case you use 3d accel.

you must use

-device virtio-vga,virgl=on -display gtk,gl=on,zoom-to-fit=off \
    OpenSuse Argon 15.3 x86_64,Asus Prime 250M-A, Intel Core i5-7400, 16 GB, Intel HD Graphics 630, Plugable usb-bt4le bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP-7100, Headset bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Default Re : qemu/kvm, user management, create, launch, create a bridge, use a bridge

If you get by default a time which is not the host time, then use this statement.

Code:
    -rtc base=localtime,clock=host
    OpenSuse Argon 15.3 x86_64,Asus Prime 250M-A, Intel Core i5-7400, 16 GB, Intel HD Graphics 630, Plugable usb-bt4le bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP-7100, Headset bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

More info about "I want the VM is another PC in my LAN" <=> "I want for the VM a LAN ip address".

I used "-nic bridge" statement. This work if you launch only one VM. In this case the VM get the mac address of the slave of the bridge, in my case "eth0". The ip address is associated to this mac address.

If you want to launch several VMs then each one get the same mac address (the one of "eth0") thus the same ip address !

This leads to problems :

- downloading sucks
    - no ipv6 address, only ipv4 address

Solution :

Each VM must have its own mac address.

Replace "-nic bridge" by "-nic bridge,mac=00:16:3e:09:08:5b"

"00:16:3e:09:08:5b" is an example.

I use macgen.py
    from Redhat to generate mac addresses.

Certainly you can find one by googling.

Here is one :

https://gist.github.com/viz3/6591201

Some news about graphic acceleration.

With recent version of Qemu "-device virtio-vga,virgl=on -display gtk,gl=on,zoom-to-fit=off \" does not work anymore.

Accurately, "device virtio-vga,virgl=on" is obsolete.

We must use "-device virtio-vga-gl"

see https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2021/05/...aphics-update/

then the good statements are :

-display gtk,gl=on,zoom-to-fit=off \
    -device virtio-vga-gl \

Enjoy

Graphic acceleration.

For some VM for example openSUSE tumbleweed don't use "zoom-to-fit=off" this leads to screen size problem.

For some VM for example android 7.1-r5 from https://www.android-x86.org/ the graphic acceleration leads to the apps does not detect the webcam then don't use it. Graphic acceleration was running well with previous version of qemu.

I check that with openSUSE Tumbleweed VM the graphic acceleration works well.
    I checked with glxinfo that virgl is well acitvated and the webcam runs well.

Webcam using

I switched to from openSUSE Argon Leap 15.3 to openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Result : with WhatsApp no more access to the webcam !

I had to change the udev rules about my webcam to get again access to the webcam. Accurately, I replaced <MODE="0664"> by <MODE="0777">.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123