Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: switching from nvidia gt710 to igpu HD530 doesn't start anymore.

Default switching from nvidia gt710 to igpu HD530 doesn't start anymore.

Hi everybody,
    I gotta say I'm kinda of a newbie here, so please don't kill me!
    I got an issue which is last too long now and I can't figured out how to fix it. Hope you can help.
    Long story short, I had an nvidia GT710 which was way enough for my use (music production and some retrogaming). I always hated how the proprietary drivers works on Linux and I recently discovered I could use my igpu (HD530) to perform even better than the GT710 and without the boringness to have proprietary drivers running on my machine.
    I simply switched my HDMI cable from my nvidia to the hd530 and it worked straight away. Everything beautiful, animation and transparency were better and everything was great, except the machine won't poweroff or restart at all anymore. I had to do it brutally every single time.
    This morning I decided to physically remove the GT710, remove all the proprietary drivers and all the "unneeded packages" showed in Yast (they were a lot), with the result the system doesn't start anymore, however If I use "nomodeset i915.modeset=0" into the grub, it does start, no problem with restarting or poweroff anymore, but there is not 3d acceleration hardware (so no transparency, nice effects, animation, etc anymore). My igpu is kind of castrated
    Thanks to a friend from the italian telegram group, we figured out that my igpu is not working at all. Giving a "glxinfo | grep vendor" the result is "Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig".
    That's all.
    Any idea how to fix it?
    thank you so much.

Default Re: switching from nvidia gt710 to igpu HD530 doesn't start anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    removed ....... all the "unneeded packages" showed in Yast (they were a lot),
    I do not understand why you did this action (it does not seem to have any relation with NVidia), but when i look in that list (which is 15.2, but I guess it is not mich different from Tumbleweed), there are several packages I use daily. So, IMHO, it is not really wise to remove them without further investigation. And I would not be surprised if you now have moved something you really need to get your system going.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not understand why you did this action (it does not seem to have any relation with NVidia), but when i look in that list (which is 15.2, but I guess it is not mich different from Tumbleweed), there are several packages I use daily. So, IMHO, it is not really wise to remove them without further investigation. And I would not be surprised if you now have moved something you really need to get your system going.
    I though so, but I always done it without issues. I guess I messed up this time.

Default AW: switching from nvidia gt710 to igpu HD530 doesn't start anymore.

"nomodeset i915.modeset=0" into the grub
    Intel/AMD graphics need the kernel-modesetting.

Also see:
    Code:
    grep -i 'blacklist nouveau' /etc/modprobe.d/*
    If nothing returned its good, if something like:
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf:blacklist nouveau
    its not deleted by uninstalling the nvidia driver and you have to do this by deleteing the file seen in the output.
    But the last has nothing to do with Intel graphics
    Last edited by Sauerland; 20-Mar-2021 at 05:51.

Default Re: AW: switching from nvidia gt710 to igpu HD530 doesn't start anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Intel/AMD graphics need the kernel-modesetting.
    ok, but what do you think about the fact it doesn't have 3d accelleration hardware anymore? without the kernel-modesetting it runs smoothly, with all the effects, transparancy and stuff.

Also see:
    Code:
    grep -i 'blacklist nouveau' /etc/modprobe.d/*
    If nothing returned its good
    yep, nothing returned.

Install susepaste and post your Xorg.0.log.
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | susepaste

Default Re: AW: switching from nvidia gt710 to igpu HD530 doesn't start anymore.

Install susepaste and post your Xorg.0.log.
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | susepaste
    here it is:

https://susepaste.org/92121743

delete "nomodeset i915.modeset=0" from the grub cmd line on restart.

Does it work?

delete "nomodeset i915.modeset=0" from the grub cmd line on restart.

Does it work?
    yes, it does, however it takes ages to boot and once it started there is not hardware accellaration also.

Blog Entries

I have not had any nvidia system for a while. When I last had one, I found that after removing the nvidia drivers, I needed to reinstall mesa to get things working properly. I'm not sure whether that still applies.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast