Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot login, disk space full. Need to remove files through rescue mode

Default Leap 15.0 froze, cannot login

Who can help?

I was using Libreoffice Impress and the program was struggling when I attempted to insert a video into a slide. Then the screen went black and unresponsive.

I powered off using the keyboard. I can power on and get to the login page, but after I enter the username and password, nothing happens. I've tried all 4 defaults in the advanced options, same problem.

The desktop is KDE

How can I take to fix this?
    Last edited by rgietzen; 13-Mar-2021 at 19:34. Reason: Spelling error

Default Re: Leap 15.0 froze, cannot login

Then the screen went black and unresponsive.
    might be a hardware issue

can you boot a live distro ( dvd or thumb drive) and read the logs for the errors ?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post

can you boot a live distro ( dvd or thumb drive) and read the logs for the errors ?
    Maybe, but that will have to wait a day. I'll need to go to a friend's computer and make the thumb drive.

I'll report back later unless there is something else I can do now.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post

Can you give me detailed instructions about how to access and read the logs?

I have booted from a thumb drive before, but I'm not sure about looking up the logs.

Blog Entries

In a typical Leap 15.0 system, the logs were in "/var/log/messages".
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Thanks.

I just remembered something else important, I had gotten a warning message that my home folder was low on space just before this happened as well.

I have two home folders. I created a separate partition where most of my info is stored, just in case of system failure, so if I have to reboot everything is saved

It was the other home folder that was low on space and I thought I fixed the problem by deleting files, but not I suspect that could be the cause.

When the system can not create any file for a user when (s)he logs in, the login will fail.
    So check if the file system where that user's home directory is in, is full. When youi have a separate /home file system, check /home, if you haven't, check /.

It is quite possible that you can still login as root from the console. Thus when you get to the GUI login page, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login there as root. Check how full file systems are with
    Code:
    df
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When the system can not create any file for a user when (s)he logs in, the login will fail.
    So check if the file system where that user's home directory is in, is full. When youi have a separate /home file system, check /home, if you haven't, check /.

It is quite possible that you can still login as root from the console. Thus when you get to the GUI login page, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login there as root. Check how full file systems are with
    Code:
    df
    Bad news. I was logged in as root when this happened. I've already tried that user and it is the one that won't work

Hopefully I can fix this when I get the thumb drive and boot from that.

Quote Originally Posted by rgietzen View Post
    Bad news. I was logged in as root when this happened.
    But you said you were using Libreoffice?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    But you said you were using Libreoffice?
    I was. I use root. I don't create another user. I know it's frowned upon by many.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast