Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Install opensuse alongside Windows and Debian.

Default Install opensuse alongside Windows and Debian.

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life!

First time posting here. I'd like some assistance in how to install SUSE alongside Windows and Debian Testing. I searched the forum and the web but couldn't find anything but dual boot and that I'm already doing that: Windows 7 64bit & Debian Testing 64bit on KDE Plasma 5.20.5 with kernel 5.10.0-4-amd64 x86_64. Now, I'd like to install Suse too.
    Disk/partition layout:
    Code:
    lsblk /dev/sda 
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT 
    sda      8:0    0 232,9G  0 disk  
    ├─sda1   8:1    0   100M  0 part /boot/efi 
    ├─sda2   8:2    0   128M  0 part  
    ├─sda3   8:3    0  58,2G  0 part  
    ├─sda4   8:4    0 112,3G  0 part  
    ├─sda5   8:5    0  58,2G  0 part / 
    └─sda6   8:6    0     4G  0 part [SWAP]

Windows 7 is installed in sda3 and Debian in sda5. I'd install SUSE in sda4. I already downloaded openSUSE-Leap-15.2-KDE-Live-x86_64-Build31.376-Media.iso

What I'm not sure about is how to deal with the efi partition, do I have to create one for SUSE? Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to proceed? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Default Re: Install opensuse alongside Windows and Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life!

First time posting here. I'd like some assistance in how to install SUSE alongside ....

Hello and welcome here.

You say SUSE, but do you mean openSUSE? In that case you are at the correct forum, but when you mean SUSE (SLED/SLED), you are wrong here.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

What I'm not sure about is how to deal with the efi partition, do I have to create one for SUSE?
    It should be find to use the existing EFI partition, assuming that it isn't full. However, the installer will complain that it is too small (smaller than 256M). You can ignore the complaint. But you will have to use the expert partitioner (with existing partitions), and tell it to mount your EFI partition at "/boot/efi". When it complains, just click the "continue" button.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Hello and welcome here.

You say SUSE, but do you mean openSUSE? In that case you are at the correct forum, but when you mean SUSE (SLED/SLED), you are wrong here.
    I now see that later you explain you downloaded openSUSE15.2, thus that is settled then. But please reimnd it is openSUSE, not SUSE, nor Suse (as you type later in the thread).
    Last edited by hcvv; 13-Mar-2021 at 13:02.
    Henk van Velden

Take care that when you say you want to install openSUSE in sda4, you then have to tell openSUSE that you want to use that partition for the / file system. The installer will assume that that is not free space. I do not know if there is free space on the disk (your lsblk has no sizes), but it will offer you a partition based on free space, thus you have to adapt that offer to your liking during installation. When there is no free space at all, the installer may tell you so and refuse to carry on.
    Henk van Velden

Hello and welcome here.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I meant OpenSuse, it's just this language tool thing. I've no idea what SLED/SLED is.

It should be find to use the existing EFI partition, assuming that it isn't full. However, the installer will complain that it is too small (smaller than 256M). You can ignore the complaint. But you will have to use the expert partitioner (with existing partitions), and tell it to mount your EFI partition at "/boot/efi". When it complains, just click the "continue" button.
    Ok, will look into that. Thank you very much for the helpful reply.

tool thing. I've no idea what SLED/SLED is.
    Well, this is bit off-topic then, but SLED is SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and SLES is SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
    Instead of explaining more myself I simply point to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_L...rprise_Desktop

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_L...erprise_Server
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

I meant OpenSuse, it's just this language tool thing. I've no idea what SLED/SLED is.
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.

openSUSE is the only correct way to spell openSUSE. You won't find it any other way on www.opensuse.org, or wiki.opensuse.org, except where its spelling is explained (or in URLs).
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Take care that when you say you want to install openSUSE in sda4, you then have to tell openSUSE that you want to use that partition for the / file system. The installer will assume that that is not free space. I do not know if there is free space on the disk (your lsblk has no sizes), but it will offer you a partition based on free space, thus you have to adapt that offer to your liking during installation. When there is no free space at all, the installer may tell you so and refuse to carry on.
    Thanks for your reply. sda4 has 112 GB of space available. my lsblk does have sizes, maybe you missed them.

Well, this is bit off-topic then, but SLED is SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and SLES is SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
    Instead of explaining more myself I simply point to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_L...rprise_Desktop

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_L...erprise_Server
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.

openSUSE is the only correct way to spell openSUSE. You won't find it any other way on www.opensuse.org, or wiki.opensuse.org, except where its spelling is explained (or in URLs).
    Ah yeah, I know about those. I know it's openSUSE, like I said, it's the language tool extension doing its thing. I have two more questions:
    1. sda4 has 112 GB, how much space would openSUSE needs to install? Can I resize that to say, half?
    2. I remember installing Leap 12, 4-5 years ago, but I used the DVD back then, which has everything to do an offline install, so I was wondering if the openSUSE-Leap-15.2-KDE-Live-x86_64-Build31.376-Media.iso does that as well, or does it need to be online to download stuff for a proper install?

Thank you all for your answers.

Thanks for your reply. sda4 has 112 GB of space available. my lsblk does have sizes, maybe you missed them.

Ah yeah, I know about those. I know it's openSUSE, like I said, it's the language tool extension doing its thing. I have two more questions:
    1. sda4 has 112 GB, how much space would openSUSE needs to install? Can I resize that to say, half?
    2. I remember installing Leap 12, 4-5 years ago, but I used the DVD back then, which has everything to do an offline install, so I was wondering if the openSUSE-Leap-15.2-KDE-Live-x86_64-Build31.376-Media.iso does that as well, or does it need to be online to download stuff for a proper install?

Thank you all for your answers.
    The size of the KDE live iso is less than 1 GiB so it is very likely you must be online. You can also download the install iso and make it a bootable USB device:
    https://download.opensuse.org/distri...DVD-x86_64.iso
    Then you can tell the installer not to add the repos and thus not to download the updated versions.
    The minimum size for SDA4 depends on your what you are planning. The official recommendation is 40 GB. But this may be quite "tight" if you want to include your /home/ with lots of stuff and use snapshots. You can search the forum, there is quite a number of threads on this issue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast