Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE startup hangs after zypper dup

Question KDE startup hangs after zypper dup

Hello, all.

openSUSE Tumbleweed was running fine until a recent zypper dup update (on Thursday 4th March), but now it gets past the disk decryption step and then the KDE startup hangs. A non-blinking cursor just sits at the top-left of the screen, and no further progress is ever made.

I can switch to tty1, login, and access the root directories and my encrypted home directory fine, so I don't believe there's anything wrong with the disk system or with Linux core. It's just the KDE system which fails to make an appearance.

One of the last things seen in /var/log/boot.log is "Starting X Window system". And in /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can't spot anything which looks like an error, the last line being "Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch".

I have successfully run zypper dup from the command line, and other than having to change vendor from packman to openSUSE for several packages, nothing was unusual. But the update did not fix the problem.

I've also run the openSUSE live disk which I used to install three weeks ago, and ran the update and repair options, but that did not fix the problem.

Can someone give me a clue as to what to try next in order to diagnose and fix this sudden failure of KDE Plasma to load?
    System:
    * Intel Core i5-4460
    * NVIDIA GTX 970 (using proprietary NVIDIA driver)
    * 16GiB RAM
    * Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2
    * Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard

(Note that I've posted this same question on the Unix & Linux channel on StackExchange, but so far it's not had any responses.)

Default Re: KDE startup hangs after zypper dup

As additional information, I just ran zypper dup again, it fetched a new kernel and appeared to fetch new graphics drivers, but still the KDE startup hangs.

Any ideas what else I can try? Is there a way to completely reinstall openSUSE over the root partition in way which will not touch the home partition?

Yes just do not format home and be sure that partition is set to mount at /home. Not that assumes a seperate home partition the default these days is to have /home on root when you use BTRFS you have to override for a different setup

Luckily I found this page about system recovery before attempting to reinstall openSUSE. From the GRUB menu I chose to boot from a read-only snapshot, selected a snapshot far enough in the past that it was not affected by the problems caused by updates, booted into KDE to confirm that everything was running okay, and then executed "sudo snapper rollback" to put have this working snapshot replace the broken one. Then reboot into a working system. Unfortunately, when I ran "sudo zypper dup" again, it immediately broke KDE again on the next boot. So there's something in that batch of updates which is corrupting the window or desktop system, at least for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobulous View Post
    Luckily I found this page about system recovery before attempting to reinstall openSUSE. From the GRUB menu I chose to boot from a read-only snapshot, selected a snapshot far enough in the past that it was not affected by the problems caused by updates, booted into KDE to confirm that everything was running okay, and then executed "sudo snapper rollback" to put have this working snapshot replace the broken one. Then reboot into a working system. Unfortunately, when I ran "sudo zypper dup" again, it immediately broke KDE again on the next boot. So there's something in that batch of updates which is corrupting the window or desktop system, at least for me.
    Could it be something to do with nvidia?
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

To be sure, you get the login screen and when you ten login, the screen reverts to the non-blinking cursor on a black screen? The openSUSE lightbulp is never shown?
    Henk van Velden

To clarify, this is what happens: 1. I enter the GRUB decryption prompt, and enter decryption key. 2. GRUB appears and I select openSUSE. 3. The disk decryption prompt appears, and I enter the decryption key. 4. The page blanks, and the (low-resolution) cursor appears at the top-left, but (instead of blinking a couple of times and then being replaced by the high-resolution screen) the cursor is frozen, and no further progress is ever made towards the window system. 5. After a couple of minutes I give up and hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to drop into tty1 and login to the console, and then issue `sudo reboot now` to restart the machine. So I never make it as far as the KDE login screen, because the terminal (tty7) freezes before the high-resolution screen appears. Which might mean it's an NVIDIA driver problem, but could also mean that any of a large number of other window system or KDE components are damaged. I've just noticed this page which suggests that Tumbleweed went through a massive overhaul. But the date on that news is a few days after my trouble started, so I'm not sure that the two are related. However, I can say that even though I can use `sudo snapper rollback` to put my system (binaries, configuration files, drivers) back to the way it was, and then I can get into KDE fine. But as soon as I run `sudo zypper dup` again, my system will hang before reaching the window system on the next reboot. No matter how much time (and new updates) I allow to pass, updating is still breaking openSUSE on my machine. So something in the new kernel, or new xorg or KDE packages is either getting corrupted, or is incompatible with my system. I can't go without updates forever, so eventually I'm going to have to replace openSUSE Tumbleweed with something else. Which is frustrating, because it's been fine for the last few years, up until now.

Blog Entries

Hi
    So your at snapshot < 20210305?

Code:
    cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION_ID
    0305 had the second glibc update so should be a big one.... Sure you not getting kicked out of the update part way through? I would suggest switching to the tty and run;

Code:
    zypper -vvv dup
    Does it now finish, also did you try booting by adding the grub boot option nomodeset if you think it's the nvidia driver that's the issue...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Pretty good you can switch back to an older snapshot and things work, but yes, quite frustrating.

If you can fall back to the console, you should be able to get the boot log (journallctl -b/dmesg) and that should give indications on what is the problem I think. Just save it on a USB stick or a partition that is not part of the BTRFS filesystem.

Yes, I'm stuck on a snapshot based on Tumbleweed from just before 5th March.

I ran `zypper -vvv dup` and it completed without showing any sign of compilation failure.

I booted using `nomodeset` and it simply took me to a command prompt (tty1) and showed no sign that it was trying to boot the window system. I don't know what that tells us, but it's no better than booting without `nomodeset`.

And `journalctl -b` shows only about a half-dozen lines, ending with a "startup finished" line. (I couldn't get `journalctl -b /dmesg` to execute.)

Whatever is wrong with the upgrade process appears to be very stubborn. What is the safest way of installing Tumbleweed from scratch (so that my home partition is not put at risk of change/deletion)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast