Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE startup hangs after zypper dup

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE startup hangs after zypper dup

Quote Originally Posted by Bobulous View Post
    I couldn't get `journalctl -b /dmesg` to execute.
    That should be either journalctl -b and/or dmesg | less. Other options would be journalctl -b | susepaste and/or dmesg | susepaste, so that we here can see. Don't try to paste either journal or dmesg here directly. They are too voluminous. If susepaste is too ornery, try uploading to http://pastebin.com/ instead.

Is your /home part of the / BTRFS filesytem on one partition, or a separate partition? If separate, saving home is simple: when in partitioner, direct that filesystem to be mounted on /home and do not format it. You may need to select the expert partitioner to do that. Expert is the only partitioner mode I ever use. If /home is part of BTRFS, then it needs to be backed up before installing, then restored afterward.

Something else that might be worth a try: changing from sddm to lightdm or vice versa: update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager.

One more thing to try is to login as root and try startx. This could narrow the source of the problem to either X itself, or the login manager. If startx works, be sure not to access the internet with it, other than using YaST2 or zypper, and exit X ASAP.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.2, +TW, 15.1, 15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.1 on i965P w/ Radeon
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

I never worked out what was causing the upgrade obstacle, so I reinstalled openSUSE Tumbleweed on top of itself (deleting and replacing the Linux root partition and the EFI partition, but leaving the home partition and the Windows partitions). That deleted the Windows entry in GRUB, so it took another day of hunting around to find the magic recipe to fix the Windows BCD in the EFI partition, and then regenerate the GRUB configuration so that the "Windows Boot Loader" reappeared as an option. Now I just need to work out why installing the NVIDIA drivers causes various module load failures during xorg startup. Anyone else get the impression that humans have a need to create things more complicated than they can really handle?

Blog Entries

Anyone else get the impression that humans have a need to create things more complicated than they can really handle?
    Life can be simpler by not choosing to install non-FOSS software, aka NVidia's proprietary drivers.

I have TW on 5 PCs using various NVidia GPUs, and have never installed a proprietary driver on any of them. I also have others using Intel and AMD GPUs. Other than slower on the older ones of any of the three brands, I don't notice differences among any of them.
    Tertiary: Mageia,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    I don't notice differences among any of them.
    Yeah, my attempt to install NVIDIA caused a boot failure (this time Xorg.0.log showed clear errors relating to module loading, and I suspect this might be because the MOK util step never occurred) so I'm currently using the default (Mesa?) driver. The default driver seems absolutely fine until the fancy application selector or the logout overlay appears, and then the mouse cursor drags quite badly (I think because those overlays use fancy background blur).

Most often any issues with the nvidia driver and TW updates can be cleared up by a forced reinstall of anything installed from the nvidia repo. I just switch to a text console (ctrl-alt-F1), login as root, and either use curses Yast or zypper to reinstall the driver, for example:

Code:
    % zypper se --installed-only -r NVIDIA
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                      | Summary                                                               | Type
    ---+---------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | nvidia-computeG05         | NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU                                | package
    i+ | nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-default | NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 600 series and newer | package
    i+ | nvidia-glG05              | NVIDIA OpenGL libraries for OpenGL acceleration                       | package
    i+ | x11-video-nvidiaG05       | NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 600 series and newer               | package

% zypper se --installed-only -r NVIDIA | awk '$1 == "i+" { print $3 }' | xargs zypper in --force
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Forcing installation of 'x11-video-nvidiaG05-460.73.01-39.2.x86_64' from repository 'NVIDIA'.
    Forcing installation of 'nvidia-computeG05-460.73.01-39.2.x86_64' from repository 'NVIDIA'.
    Forcing installation of 'nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-default-460.73.01_k5.12.0_1-39.8.x86_64' from repository 'NVIDIA'.
    Forcing installation of 'nvidia-glG05-460.73.01-39.2.x86_64' from repository 'NVIDIA'.
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 4 packages are going to be reinstalled:
      nvidia-computeG05 nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-default nvidia-glG05 x11-video-nvidiaG05

4 packages to reinstall.
    Overall download size: 0 B. Already cached: 180.2 MiB. No additional space will be used or freed after the operation.
    Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y

The install has to recompile the nvidia kernel module and the initrd, so this may take a while. Sometimes you can get away with just a forced reinstall of the relevant kernel module: nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-default. Normally I think the nvidia kernel module is rebuilt by a post install script whenever a new kernel is installed, so the above should not be necessary, but I think sometimes a chicken-and-egg situation defeats the automation.

The only time a forced reinstall fails is when the kernel API's have changed and nvidia have not yet caught up, in which case I just use a boot menu option for the previous kernel until nvidia catches up (TW supports multi-boot kernels) - if it's going to take a while I'll change the default boot kernel via yast.

You should never have to resort to a reinstall to sort out graphics issues. Personally I want the best and most versatile hardware and drivers and have stuck with nvidia. Support here is pretty good and I've found the nvidia devs and support people to be really helpful too.

Blog Entries

I'm currently using the default (Mesa?) driver.
    Code:
    # inxi -GISxy
    System:
      Host: p5bse Kernel: 5.10.16-1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
      v: 10.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.21.4 Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20210504
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [NVS 310] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nouveau
      v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.0
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting
      unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1: 2560x1440~60Hz 2: 2560x1080~60Hz
      OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 128 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.2
      direct render: Yes
    Info:...Shell: Bash  v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.04
    Nouveau (kernel), Modesetting (X foundation) & Mesa (X high-level) are all in use here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12