Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

  1. #1

    Default Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Hi,

    i am very surprised what is wrong with my installation stick.
    When the boot screen appears, F8 (with Asian characters) is also displayed.
    This menu item does not exist in your help / current documentation.
    So what's wrong with my stick?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    22,797
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Too vague. Can you explain with further detail... perhaps share an image of what you're seeing?
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,744
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by novo21 View Post
    i am very surprised what is wrong with my installation stick.
    When the boot screen appears, F8 (with Asian characters) is also displayed.
    This menu item does not exist in your help / current documentation.
    So what's wrong with my stick?
    Nothing. When booted in UEFI mode, there are no function keys at the bottom of the Grub screen. When you boot in legacy mode, there are various changes that can be applied via those function keys. F8 is a toggle between Asian language I don't know, and English, for the Grub screen.

    Exactly which documentation URL lacks what you expect?

    If your computer supports UEFI mode, it's up to you and your BIOS which mode your stick boots in. Most PCs have a hotkey that will present a menu from which you can choose which device to boot from, and if it's a UEFI BIOS with CSM (legacy support) enabled, whether to boot the USB stick in legacy or UEFI mode.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  4. #4

    Thumbs up Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Nothing. When booted in UEFI mode, there are no function keys at the bottom of the Grub screen. When you boot in legacy mode, there are various changes that can be applied via those function keys. F8 is a toggle between Asian language I don't know, and English, for the Grub screen.

    Exactly which documentation URL lacks what you expect?

    If your computer supports UEFI mode, it's up to you and your BIOS which mode your stick boots in. Most PCs have a hotkey that will present a menu from which you can choose which device to boot from, and if it's a UEFI BIOS with CSM (legacy support) enabled, whether to boot the USB stick in legacy or UEFI mode.
    Thank you very much.

    About your question: Here the Link https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...oot-parameters (Figure 2.1). As you can see there is no "F8"-Option.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by novo21 View Post
    Thank you very much.

    About your question: Here the Link https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...oot-parameters (Figure 2.1). As you can see there is no "F8"-Option.
    It will be there if you upload new image...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,744
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    It will be there if you upload new image...
    Upload a new image of what where?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  7. #7

    Lightbulb Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Upload a new image of what where?
    If you need new Figure 2.1 (Figure 2.1: The Boot Screen on Machines with a Traditional BIOS) - DIY.
    Or create bug report.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,744
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    If you need new Figure 2.1 (Figure 2.1: The Boot Screen on Machines with a Traditional BIOS) - DIY
    You're suggesting an apparent newbie openSUSE user make a new installation screenshot, then upload it to a non-Wiki page, with editing to describe the new F8?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&

  9. #9

    Default Re: Whats wrong with my Install-Stick / "F8" Bootscreen

    Dear mrmazda, Svyatko,

    first, thank you for your fast answers.

    Please excuse the "somewhat" stupid question. I thought it ("F8") didn't belong there.

    Now I have already successfully installed my 1st installation . And new questions. But it's ok, it's Linux.

    Have a nice day.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •