Thread: No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

Question No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

Greetings. Any solution to the following problem is most appreciated. Any easy solution is enthusiastically appreciated.

Problem. Upon boot on a dual boot machine OpenSUSE 15.2 Leap (64 bit) does not ask for a login. It boots straight to the OS. The boot seems slow.

Support/Background. This is a new install on a dual boot machine with two monitors. The only other symptom is an occasional black screen on both monitors (resolves in 1-4 seconds). The mouse pointer oddly still works in this case (black screen). I can force the black screen by logging out or locking the screen. The login screen is then presented; entering the password results in a black screen that does not resolve.

I’ve noticed no issues with Grub; Windows (the other OS) works as expected; checked users and it is set-up correctly; checked the kernel manager and read the associated help, it seems correct but I lack the background to made an informed judgement.

Research indicates a possible “kernel panic.” There are many solutions suggested depending upon the symptoms. Generally, using the previous kernel and then a reinstall of the current kernel seems to be the answer. However, since this is a new install it doesn’t appear I have a previous kernel available as recovery on boot . Assuming this is a good suggestion, might there be a way to pull the kernel from the install usb drive?

I’ve used Linux for the last couple of years. Coming to OpenSUSE from Mint 18.3; primarily for stability and the KDE desktop.

Thanks for the assistance.

Jack

Default Re: No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    Greetings.
    Welcome to the openSUSE forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    Problem. Upon boot on a dual boot machine OpenSUSE 15.2 Leap (64 bit) does not ask for a login. It boots straight to the OS. The boot seems slow.
    I do not understand this. As I see it, first the system is booted and after that the login screen is shown (except when autologin for a certain user is configured). So the sequence is: boot > login. Not the other way around as you explain it.
    Henk van Velden

Default AW: No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

For autologin:
    grep -i autologin /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
    Code:
    cat /etc/sddm.conf
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display default-displaymanager
    Last edited by Sauerland; 15-Feb-2021 at 02:08.

Thumbs up Re: AW: No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    For autologin:
    grep -i autologin /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
    Code:
    cat /etc/sddm.conf
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display default-displaymanager
    Thank you. This is what I needed. It was an autologin issue. It is now fixed. Best Regards, Jack Kirk

Thumbs up Re: No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Welcome to the openSUSE forums.

I do not understand this. As I see it, first the system is booted and after that the login screen is shown (except when autologin for a certain user is configured). So the sequence is: boot > login. Not the other way around as you explain it.
    My apologies. I should have been more precise with my use of "boot." Restated -- I was expecting a login screen near the start of the OS, there was none. It was an autologin issue. I must have made a wrong choice during the install. It is now fixed. Thanks. --Jack Kirk

Default Re: No Login screen on boot (boots stright to the OS); also black screen symptom. How to solve?

You are welcome.
    Henk van Velden