Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

  1. #11

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Aha, than why I wasn't able to change vendor by command ?
    Code:
      sudo zypper dup --from "Packman Repository" --allow-vendor-change
    I thought that it should be the same result?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sauerland
    Posts
    5,526

    Default AW: Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by makradenk View Post
    Aha, than why I wasn't able to change vendor by command ?
    Code:
      sudo zypper dup --from "Packman Repository" --allow-vendor-change
    I thought that it should be the same result?
    That will only switch installed packages.

    If you need a not installed package, you must install them.

    Thats what opi does, it has installed some special codecs by an script.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    28,268

    Default Re: AW: Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    That will only switch installed packages.

    If you need a not installed package, you must install them.

    Thats what opi does, it has installed some special codecs by an script.
    This is clear to me, but why isn't that codec installed by default in the first place?

    I use the switch mechanism after installation already for years. Never added something extra (either first from OSS before the switch, or after the switch direct from Packman). I never missed something with respect to multi-media. Always though that the basic installation has all (without the full functionality).
    Henk van Velden

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,976
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    I think some of the codecs are pulled in via recommends. People who disable recommends may miss some of those codecs.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    28,268

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I think some of the codecs are pulled in via recommends. People who disable recommends may miss some of those codecs.
    Could be an explanation.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #16

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I think some of the codecs are pulled in via recommends. People who disable recommends may miss some of those codecs.
    OK guys. I don't know anything special what could cause this. I tried allow nonfree codecs as usually, but....
    Never mind, now everything is ok, thank you.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    São Leopoldo, RS, Brazil
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Here's what opi does: https://github.com/openSUSE/opi/blob.../opi#L532-L572

    It does a dup, then installs a set of codecs that seem to not be pulled by a default installation, even with recommends. I took the dup route and don't have some of these additional codecs, but don't recall experiencing codec problems. OP must be needing a very odd codec that's being provided by one of these additional codecs installed by opi.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

  8. #18

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Recently updates from Packman repo have been failing, and http://packman.inode.at replies with error 403 - Forbidden.
    I selected a different mirror from http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors and it works.
    I don't know why the nicely-named Austrian mirror is disabled.
    I was shocked by the small number of mirrors available, with none in the Americas.

  9. #19

    Default Re: Switch system packages to Packman doesn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by djarseeneau View Post
    Recently updates from Packman repo have been failing, and http://packman.inode.at replies with error 403 - Forbidden.
    I selected a different mirror from http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors and it works.
    I don't know why the nicely-named Austrian mirror is disabled.
    I was shocked by the small number of mirrors available, with none in the Americas.
    The same experience, thanks for hint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •