Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Question Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    The question is does in work if you test with a reduced value, eg 260MB for the efi partition (as in sda1)?
    Would you like to reconsider information from previous clarification requests?

Examples:

Question Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Is your EFI partition mounted at "/boot/efi"?
    I added a connection for the desired EFI system partition to this directory (in the meantime) as another configuration detail in the file “etc/fstab”.
    Are there any cases to consider where other mount points would be more pleasing?

I have occasionally seen a similar message to the one you saw
    Thanks for such feedback.

-- but it was because I had not mounted "/boot/efi".
    Can any software tools trigger undesirable unmounts (too quickly)?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    Can any software tools trigger undesirable unmounts (too quickly)?
    At one time, "systemd" was unmounting some file system (a bug). I think this only happened if you were using "btrfs" for the root file system. I think that bug has been fixed.

As far as I know, openSUSE always wants the EFI partition mounted at "/boot/efi" and not anywhere else. It doesn't have to be mounted via "fstab". Manually mounting it when needed is sufficient. But it might be needed in a regular update, so best to keep it always mounted.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

Default Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Which is wrong for openSUSE on btrfs and for openSUSE configured for secure boot.
    I am using this procedure successfully for years with any distribution and secure boot being turned off. It even succeeds cross distribution. When Pop! OS failed to install grub booting into Tumbleweed and running the procedure fixed the issue. I ran it on the current system, which uses btrfs mirroring from another partition.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

I have tried out to perform the installation for the current software distribution according to the file “openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Snapshot20210203-Media.iso” as an “upgrade” once more.

Unfortunately, the following information was displayed (including a bit of German wording) at the end.

Code:
    YaST2
    …
    Fehler beim Ausführen des Befehls "[["/usr/sbin/shim-install"","--config-file=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]"
    Abbruch-Code: 1
    Fehlerausgabe: No valid EFI partition

Can I convince the installation software to accept my storage space selection anyhow?
    Don't use secure boot unless you definitely want to have it. During installation use expert partitioner and tell what you want to have: https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...l-partitioning Performed dozens of installs and expert partitioner always readily performed the operations specified.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

I think that bug has been fixed.
    I hope so, too. - I became curious about further software failure possibilities.

As far as I know, openSUSE always wants the EFI partition mounted at "/boot/efi" and not anywhere else. It doesn't have to be mounted via "fstab". Manually mounting it when needed is sufficient. But it might be needed in a regular update, so best to keep it always mounted.
    Thanks for such a feedback.

I hope also that the remaining configuration challenges can be resolved for the current software installation system.
    • Can the situation be clarified a bit more by opening a terminal application (and additional management tools) during an installation attempt?
    • It requests to reload a specific boot kernel version at the moment. Unfortunately, I observe that it gets stuck this time so that only a white underscore is displayed in the top left edge of the screen after some messages were presented at questionable positions.

Blog Entries

Can the situation be clarified a bit more by opening a terminal application (and additional management tools) during an installation attempt?
    You seem to be using the NET installer. You can probably get a terminal session during install with CTRL-ALT-F2 but I'm not sure if that will do what you want.

Maybe use the live iso. That gives you a KDE or Gnome desktop. It actually uses the same NET installer. But you are in a session where you can open a terminal ("konsole" or "gnome-terminal") and perhaps watch part of what is going on.

Maybe use the live iso. That gives you a KDE or Gnome desktop. It actually uses the same NET installer.
    Thanks for such information.
    Would it become helpful to improve descriptions for these software sources anyhow?

Thus I am trying the “system upgrade” according to the software combination “openSUSE-Tumbleweed-KDE-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20210210-Media.iso” out once more at the moment.
    The currently proposed software installation settings look promising.

… and perhaps watch part of what is going on.
    But I find information like the following suspicious. (It might eventually be reasonable at this point.)

Code:
    unknownb42e9932cf79:~ # cat /etc/mtab
    /dev/mapper/nun-root /mnt ext4 rw,relatime 0 0
    /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/boot ext3 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

I hope that these partitions will be mounted as the directories “/” (root) and “/boot” finally.
    Unfortunately, I stumble on the following German wording again.

Code:
    Fehler beim Ausführen des Befehls "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-install", "--target=x86_64-efi", "--force", "--skip-fs-probe"]]".

Fehlerausgabe: x86_64-efi wird für Ihre Plattform installiert.
     /usr/sbin/grub2-install: Fehler: EFI-Verzeichnis kann nicht gefunden werden.

• Should the activation of the boot manager components be performed manually anyhow after it seems that the installation succeeded for the other software packages?
    • Can the selected two boot partitions be appropriately passed to commands which would be relevant for EFI systems?
    • Would you like to share further ideas for the shown system configuration challenges (also according to the usually expected mount points)?

Blog Entries

But I find information like the following suspicious. (It might eventually be reasonable at this point.)

Code:
    unknownb42e9932cf79:~ # cat /etc/mtab
    /dev/mapper/nun-root /mnt ext4 rw,relatime 0 0
    /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/boot ext3 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

If that is during install, then that is normal. The installer mounts the future root file system at "/mnt" and mounts other needed file systems relative to that. After install, when you reboot they will be mounted at the proper place.

However, that output does not show the EFI partition as mounted. If you use the expert partitioner, you need to specify there that the EFI partition is to be mounted at "/boot/efi".

Code:
    Fehler beim Ausführen des Befehls "[["/usr/sbin/grub2-install", "--target=x86_64-efi", "--force", "--skip-fs-probe"]]".

Fehlerausgabe: x86_64-efi wird für Ihre Plattform installiert.
     /usr/sbin/grub2-install: Fehler: EFI-Verzeichnis kann nicht gefunden werden.
    My German is a bit rusty, but I think it is complaining that the EFI partition is not mounted.

Should the activation of the boot manager components be performed manually anyhow after it seems that the installation succeeded for the other software packages?
    I'm not sure what you are asking. The normal install first installs the packages. Then it does "chroot /mnt" to install the bootloader.

If you want to boot to rescue mode to do that again, yes you can do that.

In rescue mode, login as root. Run cryptsetup to handle the crypto. Then mount your root file system at "/mnt"

Then:
    Code:
    mount --bind /dev  /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc  /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    mount -A  ### mount anything else needed from "/etc/fstab"
    mount /dev/XXXX  /boot/efi  ### manually mount the EFI partition, since you did not set that up correctly.
    shim-install  ### this should setup booting.
    exit  ### leave chroot mode
    shutdown -r now
    The strings starting "###" are just my comments. You do not need to enter those. And change that "/dev/XXXX" to whatever is the device name for your EFI partition.

However, that output does not show the EFI partition as mounted.
    I can extend the previous file system excerpt if such a detail would be needed.
    I imagine that the subsequent directory structures should be prepared then under “/mnt/boot/efi”, shouldn't they?

If you use the expert partitioner, you need to specify there that the EFI partition is to be mounted at "/boot/efi".
    • It seems that this tool is not offered so far according to system upgrade attempts.
    • The desired specifications should be available in the file “/etc/fstab” (of the final output storage device).

…, but I think it is complaining that the EFI partition is not mounted.
    I wonder still why the EFI directory (and related dependencies) would not be found by the boot manager installation system so far.

Then it does "chroot /mnt" to install the bootloader.
    This process should work as usual.

If you want to boot to rescue mode to do that again, yes you can do that.
    Do you distinguish from the rescue installation system here?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast