Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Question Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    ... else it won't be recognized by the system hardware as an ESP...
    I got an other impression.

Would you like to explain this view a bit more?

It's a defined standard...
    An EFI system partition is required according to a current storage standard.
    The corresponding storage space expectations can vary considerably, can't they?

• How are the chances to make it easier and safer to resolve such dependencies for the mentioned software installation approach?
    • Do I need to setup a special environment so that the software “GRUB 2.04” can be finally installed after a “changed root directory”?
    • Can other boot managers like “rEFInd” (or “Ventoy”) help another bit for the presentation of desirable boot menus?

Question Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    There is no such error string in upstream or openSUSE grub.
    A message was originally displayed with a German wording at the end of my software installation approach.

Code:
    YaST2
    …
    Abbruch-Code: 1
    Fehlerausgabe: x86_64-efi wird für Ihre Plattform installiert.
    /usr/sbin/grub2-install: Fehler: EFI-Verzeichnis kann nicht gefunden werden.
    Is my translation partly questionable?

Lightbulb Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    FAT32 isn't a hospitable place for storing isos, which are often larger than the maximum file size for FAT32.
    Some ISO files (like “rescue” systems and related management software) fit into the size constraints.

Better to make a third partition for those other files, using a native format that features a more hospitable maximum file size, …
    I chose the file system “Ext3” for my boot partition accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Whenever grub installation fails try this: https://karlmistelberger.wordpress.c...rub-efi-btrfs/
    Should extra mount commands be added to the (openSUSE network) installation system anyhow?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    Should extra mount commands be added to the (openSUSE network) installation system anyhow?
    No. You boot into a working system (live or rescue) closely matching the system meant to repair.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Default Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

Whenever grub installation fails try this: https://karlmistelberger.wordpress.c...rub-efi-btrfs/
    Which is wrong for openSUSE on btrfs and for openSUSE configured for secure boot.

Lightbulb Re: Completion of boot manager installation after EFI configuration failure

You boot into a working system (live or rescue) closely matching the system meant to repair.
    The previous software installation attempt filled the partitions with some data so that I can edit the file “/mnt/R/etc/fstab” according to my needs at least (for example in a Knoppix session).
    I am curious if this adjustment will be picked up by the current network installation software. (I hope that another software update will finally succeed with a few additional system configuration details.)

I hope that another software update will finally succeed with a few additional system configuration details.
    I have tried out to perform the installation for the current software distribution according to the file “openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Snapshot20210203-Media.iso” as an “upgrade” once more.

Unfortunately, the following information was displayed (including a bit of German wording) at the end.

Code:
    YaST2
    …
    Fehler beim Ausführen des Befehls "[["/usr/sbin/shim-install"","--config-file=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]"
    Fehlerausgabe: No valid EFI partition

Can I convince the installation software to accept my storage space selection anyhow?

Blog Entries

I have tried out to perform the installation for the current software distribution according to the file “openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Snapshot20210203-Media.iso” as an “upgrade” once more.

Unfortunately, the following information was displayed (including a bit of German wording) at the end.

Code:
    YaST2
    …
    Fehler beim Ausführen des Befehls "[["/usr/sbin/shim-install"","--config-file=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg"]]"
    Fehlerausgabe: No valid EFI partition

Can I convince the installation software to accept my storage space selection anyhow?
    Hi
    The question is does in work if you test with a reduced value, eg 260MB for the efi partition (as in sda1)? Does it work if you move the efi partition to the end of the disk rather than sda1, the esp doesn't need to be on sda1 and you can have multiple esps....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Is your EFI partition mounted at "/boot/efi"?

I have occasionally seen a similar message to the one you saw -- but it was because I had not mounted "/boot/efi".
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast