Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supporting gog linux games

Default supporting gog linux games

At the next opensuse conference, can someone present the topic of supporting GOG Linux games? Supporting the needed libraries.

GOG has some great titles that run under ubuntu linux. How hard could it be to add the needed libraries?

I don't want to duel boot to ubuntu.

Thanks...

Default Re: supporting gog linux games

I'm sure it would help the devs greatly if someone were to collect a list of libraries required for these games to work, maybe a compatibility package could be created by them and/or community.
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

Moved to Games.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    I'm sure it would help the devs greatly if someone were to collect a list of libraries required for these games to work, maybe a compatibility package could be created by them and/or community.
    First, you pick a game, "Neverwinter Nights". It's $20 and even less, if you wait for a bargain. These libraries should cross various games.

Requires libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libjson-c2:i386 libopenal1:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386 libexpat1:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386

I'm currently too busy with my own script for this. Compiling complex 'c' code is hard, I was able to compile in 'c' using a one file source successfully. I tried to compile clamscan and glib 2.32-. I got stuck on both and gave up. I kept running into one block after another. The compile took 1hr+ on fast machine. Then, trying to figure where any of the files are going with two top level separate folders needed

I'm planning another attempt with compiling glib when i'm finished with some updates to my script. (Bash scripting I have mastered.)

The problem comes with differences in package names between ubuntu and opensuse. Then you have packages not included in opensuse. They would have to be compiled and installed. Currently, upgrading OPENSUSE 15.2 - GLIB 2.26 --> GLIB 2.27 (2.32 current).

Once you have the correct package names, you use zypper to install them. After, that you into complex task of compiling packages that are missing. Assuming, you can find and figure out the right ones. Even then, one linux game executed with no sound with sound libraries.

At the opensuse conference, ask for full support these linux games. With full support of the entire community, it could done. FYI, I can figure it out, given a few (many) years.

I don't have enough skill to do more than compile a simple one source 'c' file. If the community want to try it, go ahead.

IDK what you are talking about:

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/art...s-?product=gog

Q: I don't want to use GOG GALAXY, but my downloads are corrupted when downloading via my browser. What are my options?

A: Keep in mind that you do not actually have to install games through GOG GALAXY - you can just use it as a download manager. Select the game in GOG GALAXY, and click EXTRAS in the top bar to download the offline backup installers.
    GOG provides full distributive for games without protections. For Windows games use Wine, Proton, etc.

Missed this post. I'm still using opensuse 15.2

It's still in alpha release. I'll wait till the stable version. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    IDK what you are talking about:

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/art...s-?product=gog

GOG provides full distributive for games without protections. For Windows games use Wine, Proton, etc.
    If you try a classic like 'empire earth I - gold edition', I tried it many times with wine. I could never get to work. Sometime as complex as the witcher series, forget it. Maybe, The Witcher I. MSWIN emulators work with very few newer games. Empire Earth I came out early 2000's and it doesn't work.

Proton mwin emulator for linux I don't know anything about it.

LInux X-Rebirth ran on Opensuse 15.2, but I couldn't get the sound to work. I had to run it in superuser mode and it constantly tries to access the internet. That is huge security risk.

When opensuse 15.3 comes in a stable edition, I'll post on here.

Valarian > Hi, have you tried Lutris ? https://lutris.net/

Lutris is an Open Source gaming platform for Linux. It installs and launches games so you can start playing without the hassle of setting up your games. Get your games from GOG, Steam, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay and many other sources running on any Linux powered gaming machine.
    It uses some custom install scripts for each game (here is the one you are looking for : https://lutris.net/games?q=empire+earth) to make them easier to install.

It will automatically download a compatible version of Wine, SCumm, DOSBox... and will store it in its own directory (so it can be easily removed).

I tried it once for a GOG game and it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald_von_Kartoffel View Post
    Valarian > Hi, have you tried Lutris ? https://lutris.net/

It uses some custom install scripts for each game (here is the one you are looking for : https://lutris.net/games?q=empire+earth) to make them easier to install.

It will automatically download a compatible version of Wine, SCumm, DOSBox... and will store it in its own directory (so it can be easily removed).

I tried it once for a GOG game and it worked for me.
    I used the website install button

I gave the gog installer exe.

It say file not found and dvlx something not found. I don't install anything outside the opensuse installer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast