Epson R320 printer "seen" and drivers installed for "Fuji-Xerox-Docuprint" but no printing?????

Folks:

A few days back I was running in TW and had a couple of docs I needed to print . . . never had done any printing in TW before. I connected the printer via USB cable and turned the printer on . . . a dialog box opened saying something like, “You don’t have any drivers for this printer . . . click to install drivers” (something like that) . . . .

I clicked “move on with it” and there was some activity . . . and voila a Print Settings window appeared and in there was the “Fuji-Xerox” printer icon . . . for the Epson printer??? I clicked “print” for my doc and . . . there was some activity again . . . but nothing happened. I clicked on the Fuji symbol and tried again with the same result. I noticed that the “low ink” light was flashing, so I thought that perhaps TW wasn’t able to work around that issue . . . . I also tried to click “add printer” but nothing showed up to add . . . .

I surrendered and rebooted into OSX 10.13 and printed my documents quickly and efficiently . . . very painful to have to do that in a high functioning linux system like TW . . . . :open_mouth:

Any thoughts on how to get an Epson Photo R320 recognized and get the proper drivers added into the TW family???

Add the Linux driver package (type R320 for model)…
https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

The ‘pips-spr320-cups-2.6.2-2.i386.rpm’ is the package you’re after.

I note that the gutenprint package also contains drivers for the Epson R320…

# rpm -ql gutenprint|grep -i R320
/usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.2/C/stp-escp2-r320.5.2.ppd.gz
/usr/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.2/C/stp-escp2-r320.5.2.sim.ppd.gz

So configuring via the CUPS web interface may be all that is required. In a browser navigate to “localhost:630/admin” > ‘Add Printer’ and follow the prompts given.

@deano_f:

Thanks very kindly for posting those options . . . I’ll check them out and post back on the update.

n_s

@deano_f:

OK, I believe I have successfully added the R320 into “Print Settings” . . . by way of downloading the .rpm file you mentioned, selecting “open with Yast” on the download file to then run the install. I had to select “break dependency” for the rpm package and then “ignore” for “package is unsigned” to install the 79 packages needed or provided by the .rpm package.

As you might have noticed Epson only showed a generic “linux” CUPS option until opening it and then it showed the rpm file . . . when I searched Yast for the package name it showed “no results” . . . .

Print settings then was able to “see” and label the printer . . . didn’t run a test printing on it . . . save a tree and so forth . . . .

I did test the “localhost” suggestion but it “errored out” “not found” . . . printer was connected and turned on at the time . . . thinking it was an FF issue I tested it in Chromium with same result . . . .

It was all rather “odd” in that after I deleted the “Fuji” printer in the Settings, it again only showed “non-Epson” printer companies as the choices, until I got the right drivers installed . . . . I guess it is a “legacy” printer, but, hey, it still is working fine . . . .

https://openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-Stylus_Photo_R320

@Svyatko:

OK, thanks for the link . . . I believe that the drivers were installed earlier and the printer now shows as “Epson-Stylus xxxxx” . . . .

My main reason for posting was to ask about the why of the Epson printer showing up as a “fuji” . . . as the only option, and then moving forward with installing the drivers, which then didn’t work. Or after the “fuji” was deleted . . . the choices were “Ricoh” or “brother” . . . nothing listed or seen for “Epson” . . . let alone that model???

Eventually I would have figured out to search the Epson site for drivers, @deano_ferrari just cut to the chase and provided the Epson driver link . . . . What had initially thrown me off the direct solution was Print Settings showing the printer options as “Fuji” . . . it asked if I wanted to “add the Fuji printer,” gears turned and seemed like something was happening . . . but printing failed, even though no “errors” were thrown on the process, etc.

Contrast that with after opening the correct driver package, Yast was throwing errors all over the place, flagging the package as lacking dependencies and being “unsigned” . . . but then eventually . . . able to “see” that the printer was the “R320” . . . .

Ok, reads like progress. :slight_smile:

Yep . . . it do. Thanks for the bump on it . . . install drivers . . . begin simply, then move on to the more complex . . . print document. ;):)lol!