Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link two PC's together with Ethernet cable to transferLeap 15.2 (complete or ??)

Default Link two PC's together with Ethernet cable to transferLeap 15.2 (complete or ??)

Is there an 'easy' sequence for connecting two machines together with an Ethernet cable to transfer Leap 15.2 data/applications/home AFTER an install on 2nd machine?

So far all the instructions I have come across are all seemingly complicated and not very helpful.
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.2, Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.2 & Win10, HP AiO Leap 15.2.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Default Re: Link two PC's together with Ethernet cable to transferLeap 15.2 (complete or ??)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    Is there an 'easy' sequence for connecting two machines together with an Ethernet cable to transfer Leap 15.2 data/applications/home AFTER an install on 2nd machine?

So far all the instructions I have come across are all seemingly complicated and not very helpful.
    I would like to transfer from a legacy unit to a GPT unit. Possible?

I am in the process of putting Leap 15.2 on my HP AIO PC, and would like to 'move' the applications I have on the other machine(s) to it.
    IT will be a complete replace of Win10 on that machine. Tired of MS trashing my hard drives!

As an aside, the screen is very reflective on that HP AIO. Anyone know of a spray or ??? that will make the screen anti-reflective/anti-glare? Just curious.
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Default Re: Link two PC's together with Ethernet cable to transferLeap 15.2 (complete or ??)

You need a cross over either net cable, Reversing the TX and and the RX lines.

You can buy anti glare films

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You need a cross over either net cable, Reversing the TX and and the RX lines.

You can buy anti glare films
    Crossover ethernet cables are not commonly required with modern NICs. Gigabit Ethernet typically employs Auto-MDIX (automatic medium-dependent interface crossover) to eliminate this issue.
    https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...crossover-mdix
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Hi Bill. Rather than connecting the two machines together via a single ethernet cable, you may find it easier just to make sure both are connected (wired or wifi) on your network. The two machines will still be visible to each other, and allow you to transfer files between them (using SFTP for example).

https://www.binarytides.com/ssh-dolphin-konqueror-kde/
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Hi Bill. Rather than connecting the two machines together via a single ethernet cable, you may find it easier just to make sure both are connected (wired or wifi) on your network. The two machines will still be visible to each other, and allow you to transfer files between them (using SFTP for example).

https://www.binarytides.com/ssh-dolphin-konqueror-kde/
    All my machines are on what I deem my router ‘network’. All are either WiFi(laptops & HP AIO) and Ethernet(the HP compaq).
    I will look into the article you posted. Looks interesting at 1st read through.

thanks
    Bill_L

Another aside.
    I can make a crossover Ethernet cable by pulling an end plug and exchanging the red and yellow(or ????), then marking the end that wires were exchanged. right?

somewhere I think read that the Ethernet cable is really fast transfer.

again me being curious.

Another aside.
    I can make a crossover Ethernet cable by pulling an end plug and exchanging the red and yellow(or ????), then marking the end that wires were exchanged. right?
    See here: http://somewhere I think read that t... being curious

It is not that simple and you need special tools.

But why bother? As Malcolm already explains todays NICs adapt to the situation.

And again, if both systems are already on the same LAN, they have connection. Thus why bothering on creating a second LAN (with two connections) where you then have to learn on how to give them IP addresses and netmasks (there won't be a DHCP server there) without clashing with the LAN you have?

I really think you make a problem where there is none.
    Henk van Velden

You can transfer the whole disk image with clonezilla via ethernet.

You have to move 2 pair for a crossover cable.

As stated above - almost all modern switches and routers can do the crossover for you.
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

1a. There are the old serial Laplink connections, but they're usually slower than ethernet. If you want a brain-dead way to connect two machines without any know-how, these can be purchased both with RS-232 connections for very old machines and USB connections for today's machines.

1b. A network connection which can be direct or using your regular home network should be preferred over a serial connection. A private, direct connection might require a cross-over cable(typically an orange cable) but if your machines are fairly new (within last 5 years) can connect using a regular patch cable (a typically blue cable but can be other colors). You can verify your physical network connection is working by inspecting the NIC link light which should be green (flashing or steady). If it's yellow or red, your wiring is wrong and you need the other kind of cable or a replacement cable if the one you're using is bad. Even after you have a working direct network connection with green lights, you will still need to set up your logical networking so I won't dive into this option further unless this is what you want.

1c. A variation on the direct, physical connection is to use two patch cables connected to a private network hub or switch. This is a useful option instead of buying or making a special crossover cable.

1d. The preferred method is to just connect both your machines to your home network, preferably by patch cables connected to your Gateway router. You can try connecting using WiFi but won't always work, some WiFi Access Points block discovery of other machines on the wireless network but you can try it anyway (Use ping to verify each machine can connect to the other).

2. Once you have your machines able to see each other, you need to configure each machine to function on the network. If on a private, direct connection you have to set this up manually so is not recommended unless is what you want and you can post asking for instructions. On most home networks, simply plugging your machine into the home network will enable them to be automatically configured using DHCP and DNS services from your Access Point or Gateway router.

3. For one machine to access files on another machine, there is one last step beyond simple network configuration, you will also have to set up a Network Share which can be done a number of ways... most common by NFS or Windows Share although there are many other ways which are possible . You can use any of a number of published guides for this or if you have problems can post your attempt and problems you might run into.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast