Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the problem with the audio driver on Raspberry Pi 4?

Question What is the problem with the audio driver on Raspberry Pi 4?

I would like to understand what the problem with the audio driver on Raspberry Pi 4 is.

I know nothing about device drivers, but I do know something about C and C++. I am willing to contribute some time to this problem if I get enough information about it.

Thanks,
    Zlatko

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the problem with the audio driver on Raspberry Pi 4?

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi4#Known_issues

The following features are not working yet:

• No sound via jack or HDMI (should land with kernel 5.10)
    Is there still an audio issue that you're experiencing?
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 29-Dec-2020 at 01:17.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

If you want Linux with everything working - I suggest the Loboris image of Ubuntu - It has 100 % working except graphic acceleration.
    I use it both of all my Pi4 8gb.

But it is the MATE desktop - Which I like since it looks line XP and Vista not 8 or 10.

It is 10.04 Ubuntu - he has a 10.10 - but 10.04 is like 15.2 - a LTS and 10.10 is like Tumbleweed

Link https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...545b00af5b91c8
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Thank you for the prompt responses!

I guess I should clarify my intent. I am not looking for excuses why the problem is still out there a year and a half after the release of Raspberry Pi 4, nor am I looking for alternatives to openSUSE. Instead, I am trying to understand what is preventing the driver software from working under openSUSE. This is not my area of expertise, but who knows - I may be able to help.

I know for sure Raspbian has proper sound, and I take @larryr's word that so does Ubuntu. I am hoping the problem is related to the compilation or the integration of the driver's source code. Does that source code require some refactoring to compile and work on a 64-bit platform? Those are the things I am trying to understand.

The note that the problem will magically go away when a new kernel is introduced doesn't make very much sense to me, because it doesn't explain why Raspbian and Ubuntu work. I don't think either of them has a newer kernel than Tumbleweed.

If you know somebody involved in the aarch64 distribution, please ask them to provide some technical details here.

Thanks,
    Zlatko

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zmichailov View Post
    Thank you for the prompt responses!

I guess I should clarify my intent. I am not looking for excuses why the problem is still out there a year and a half after the release of Raspberry Pi 4, nor am I looking for alternatives to openSUSE. Instead, I am trying to understand what is preventing the driver software from working under openSUSE. This is not my area of expertise, but who knows - I may be able to help.

I know for sure Raspbian has proper sound, and I take @larryr's word that so does Ubuntu. I am hoping the problem is related to the compilation or the integration of the driver's source code. Does that source code require some refactoring to compile and work on a 64-bit platform? Those are the things I am trying to understand.

The note that the problem will magically go away when a new kernel is introduced doesn't make very much sense to me, because it doesn't explain why Raspbian and Ubuntu work. I don't think either of them has a newer kernel than Tumbleweed.

If you know somebody involved in the aarch64 distribution, please ask them to provide some technical details here.

Thanks,
    Zlatko
    Hi
    That's just the way openSUSE development works, work upstream... other distributions tend to hack solutions (in a lot of cases not acceptable upstream).... if you want to really get down to the nitty gritty, jump on IRC Freenode #opensuse-arm to find out the true status, bear in mind it's holiday time for a lot of folks, so responses may be slow.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    That's just the way openSUSE development works, work upstream... other distributions tend to hack solutions (in a lot of cases not acceptable upstream).... if you want to really get down to the nitty gritty, jump on IRC Freenode #opensuse-arm to find out the true status, bear in mind it's holiday time for a lot of folks, so responses may be slow.
    Well said Malcolm.

If you want more details - I would suggest you as Loboris in the Pi forum. He seems to be way ahead of even the Ubuntu folks. He has his own repository and you should be able to see his source code. I have stopped developing code for Unix/Linux drivers when they went streams in System V. I have enough trouble keeping all my friends computers working.

Microsoft - Making Screen Doors for Submarines since 1981.
    OpenSUSE 15.2 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.2)
    Pi4 with Ubuntu MATE 20.04
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by larryr View Post
    If you want more details - I would suggest you as Loboris in the Pi forum. He seems to be way ahead of even the Ubuntu folks. He has his own repository and you should be able to see his source code. I have stopped developing code for Unix/Linux drivers when they went streams in System V. I have enough trouble keeping all my friends computers working.

Microsoft - Making Screen Doors for Submarines since 1981.
    Hi
    Why promote another distribution? Whilst I don't have an RPi4 (yet, might go for a rock board), have RPi3's running both openSUSE and SLES, on the issues I've had both from a hardware/software perspective have been happily resolved via IRC, Submit Requests or via bug reports...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi
    Why promote another distribution? Whilst I don't have an RPi4 (yet, might go for a rock board), have RPi3's running both openSUSE and SLES, on the issues I've had both from a hardware/software perspective have been happily resolved via IRC, Submit Requests or via bug reports...
    Agreed. Work with the openSUSE maintainers towards a resolution.

if you want to really get down to the nitty gritty, jump on IRC Freenode #opensuse-arm to find out the true status, bear in mind it's holiday time for a lot of folks, so responses may be slow.
    Thanks, @malcolmlewis. This sounds like a good next step.

@larryr, I don't want to ditch openSUSE for another distro. It's been good to me for almost 20 years. I want to do my part to keep it that way.

Admin/moderator folks, please keep this thread open for a few more days in case a techie comes around.

Thanks,
    Zlatko

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast