Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel 5.10.1 problems?

Default Kernel 5.10.1 problems?

After updating Tumbleweed today, which included the new kernel 5.10.1-1, Tumbleweed would boot, but hang. I've booted into kernel 5.9.14 to be able to write this. What do I need to do to be able to use the new kernel? I've never seen this happen before.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kernel 5.10.1 problems?

Quote Originally Posted by coolpup View Post
    After updating Tumbleweed today, which included the new kernel 5.10.1-1, Tumbleweed would boot, but hang. I've booted into kernel 5.9.14 to be able to write this. What do I need to do to be able to use the new kernel? I've never seen this happen before.
    Hi and welcome to the Forum
    When you say hang, during the boot process, getting to your login GUI or desktop?

What sort of hardware and graphics are involved?

Look for more info by pressing the esc key during boot, or temporarily disable plymouth at boot by editing (press the e key) grub and adding plymouth.enabled=0
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

It starts normally. I see the Lenovo logo and under that, the Tumbleweed logo. The little circle thing rotates and that's about it.

As for the hardware, it's a Lenovo IdeaPad L340 with a quad-core CPU (Intel(R) Corporation.Intel(R)Core45U CPU @ 2.10GH) and UHD Graphics 620 (Whiskey Lake). There have been kernel updates before, and everything went smoothly. Not sure what happened this time, although I see more updates waiting as I type this.

I'll give your suggestions a try to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    adding plymouth.enabled=0
    That's "plymouth.enable=0".

So, I was sitting here swearing at the machine, and tried going to the advanced setting thing in the grub menu and booting kernel 5.10 from the first entry (theoretically the same one as the main boot menu). Be darned if the thing didn't boot and run properly. Running "uname -a" shows me this:

Linux orenda 5.10.1-1-default #1 SMP Sun Dec 20 07:24:34 UTC 2020 (d14c73f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, I'll print the 2 entries to see what the difference is, and make mods(?) as appropriate.

The advanced menu entry worked once. Back to the drawing board. BTW, the plymouth thing didn't work,

Same error for me with kernel 5.10.1 - using plasma. It starts to load then lines and lines of error messages. I have a normal Dell p/c with standard hardware. Tried a fresh install and the sme errors. Only way to stop the p/c is by holding the start button until it switches off. Might be hardware issue as I tried a fresh install on a spare p/c and that worked OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    Same error for me with kernel 5.10.1 - using plasma. It starts to load then lines and lines of error messages. I have a normal Dell p/c with standard hardware. Tried a fresh install and the sme errors. Only way to stop the p/c is by holding the start button until it switches off. Might be hardware issue as I tried a fresh install on a spare p/c and that worked OK.
    I was going to try a fresh install on another drive. I found another distro on it. I ran it, did updates, and it runs well with kernel 5.10.2. Same laptop, different drive.

My AMD Ryzen system TW/KDE wont boot with this kernel either. I'll look imto it later to see what is happening.

Stuart

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast