Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia + Cuda + Bumblebee + Codecs: "Recipe" not working on openSUSE 15.2

Question nVidia + Cuda + Bumblebee + Codecs: "Recipe" not working on openSUSE 15.2

Hi guys.

I'm having issues in making the "Cuda + Nvidia + bumblebee + codecs 'safe' way" recipe work in a fresh install.

(unfortunately I'm also not sure for how long I'll be able to be keep on doing fresh installs, since this notebook is "off duty" for too long: I'll have to put it back to work soon)

I followed the instructions to the letter on my openSUSE 15.2 installation to have CUDA and bumblebee working with my GP107M (GTX1050M).

My commands outputs follows:

Code:
    optirun --status
    Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.
    Code:
    optirun glxgears
    [  182.087121] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver

[  182.087150] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    Code:
    optirun glxspheres
    [  189.007213] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver

[  189.007258] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    Code:
    sudo lspci  |grep -i nvidia
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.3.4
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 19.3.4
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 19.3.4
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    Worst: "lsmod | grep nvidia" gives no output, and both "/proc/driver/nvidia/version" or any "/dev/nvi*" exist!

Can anybody please help me here somehow?

P.S.: Just to have a bit of "context", I've had both bumblebee and nvidia (without cuda) working on this very machine up to last Monday, when I made some huge mistake in some update and decided (had) to reinstall it from scratch after a /home backup.

Blog Entries

Default Re: nVidia + Cuda + Bumblebee + Codecs: "Recipe" not working on openSUSE 15.2

Hi
    You have such a new card, if you install either suse-prime or switcheroo-control as well as the nvidia drivers from the repo you should get it working just fine.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_SUSE_Prime

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hades...heroo-control/

Or just prime render offload https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...eroffload.html

note: should not need to configure any xorg, just use the commands...
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 19-Dec-2020 at 14:25.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Question Re: nVidia + Cuda + Bumblebee + Codecs: "Recipe" not working on openSUSE 15.2

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You have such a new card, if you install either suse-prime or switcheroo-control as well as the nvidia drivers from the repo you should get it working just fine.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_SUSE_Prime

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hades...heroo-control/

Or just prime render offload https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...eroffload.html

note: should not need to configure any xorg, just use the commands...
    Hi Malcolm.

I decided to not use suse-prime because, from what I could understand, it would need logins and logouts.

From what I could gather, switcheroo-control would suffer from the same drawback, am I rignt?

Prime render offload, on the other hand, is a solution that I was unaware of, and not only seems to not suffer from this drawback but also to be even easier than bumblebee: do you know if it works with CUDA softwares? Also, is there some sort of tutorial more specific for the case of opensuse and/or cuda?

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: nVidia + Cuda + Bumblebee + Codecs: "Recipe" not working on openSUSE 15.2

What's the driver version you've installed? Typically G04 has been giving grouble and basically following my instructions then installing G05 package (which uninstalled G04 and "cuda") fixes the problem. Also, the cuda end up staying and working.

Also, bumblebee does work with CUDA, you just operate it with "optirun" before executing the cuda-compiled executable. You don't need anything anything special for compiling with NVCC

Quote Originally Posted by johannesrs View Post
    Hi guys.

I'm having issues in making the "Cuda + Nvidia + bumblebee + codecs 'safe' way" recipe work in a fresh install.

(unfortunately I'm also not sure for how long I'll be able to be keep on doing fresh installs, since this notebook is "off duty" for too long: I'll have to put it back to work soon)

I followed the instructions to the letter on my openSUSE 15.2 installation to have CUDA and bumblebee working with my GP107M (GTX1050M).

My commands outputs follows:

Code:
    optirun --status
    Bumblebee status: Ready (3.2.1). X inactive. Discrete video card is off.
    Code:
    optirun glxgears
    [  182.087121] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver

[  182.087150] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    Code:
    optirun glxspheres
    [  189.007213] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: Could not load GPU driver

[  189.007258] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    Code:
    sudo lspci  |grep -i nvidia
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) 
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.3.4
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 19.3.4
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 19.3.4
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    Worst: "lsmod | grep nvidia" gives no output, and both "/proc/driver/nvidia/version" or any "/dev/nvi*" exist!

Can anybody please help me here somehow?

P.S.: Just to have a bit of "context", I've had both bumblebee and nvidia (without cuda) working on this very machine up to last Monday, when I made some huge mistake in some update and decided (had) to reinstall it from scratch after a /home backup.
    Can you also show
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i nvidia
    to see if there are any complaints on Nvidia drivers on boot? Also, you need to make sure that your kernel version is matching with bumblebee.

There may be a simple issue with the load state in the configuration in your /etc/modprobe.d/50-bbswitch.conf

Code:
    options bbswitch load_state=-1 unload_state=1

try load state 0 as well. Default is 0, -1 works for all of my Lenovos+Alienware.

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm.

I decided to not use suse-prime because, from what I could understand, it would need logins and logouts.

From what I could gather, switcheroo-control would suffer from the same drawback, am I rignt?

Prime render offload, on the other hand, is a solution that I was unaware of, and not only seems to not suffer from this drawback but also to be even easier than bumblebee: do you know if it works with CUDA softwares? Also, is there some sort of tutorial more specific for the case of opensuse and/or cuda?

Thanks a lot!
    Hi
    With suse-prime only requires logout/login, switcheroo and offload no ... In the GNOME DE, switcheroo offers a menu option to use the discrete card as well as command line... yes it works with cuda if installed/present..

Code:
     switcherooctl launch glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics P4000 (IVB GT2)

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
    Code:
    switcherooctl launch nvidia-settings

Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-20 08-46-27.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-20 08-51-18.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	960  

Hi SJLPHI

[QUOTE=SJLPHI;2990210]What's the driver version you've installed? Typically G04 has been giving grouble and basically following my instructions then installing G05 package (which uninstalled G04 and "cuda") fixes the problem. Also, the cuda end up staying and working.[/QUOTE/

It is G05, certainly:
    Code:
    zypper se nvidia
    Carregando dados do repositório...
    Lendo os pacotes instalados...

S | Nome                           | Resumo                                                                | Tipo
    --+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
      | libnvidia-nscq-450             | NVSwitch Configuration and Query library                              | pacote
      | libnvidia-nscq-455             | NVSwitch Configuration and Query library                              | pacote
      | libnvidia-nscq-460             | NVSwitch Configuration and Query library                              | pacote
      | nvidia-computeG04              | NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU                                | pacote
    i | nvidia-computeG05              | NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU                                | pacote
      | nvidia-diagnosticG04           | Diagnostic utilities for the NVIDIA driver                            | pacote
      | nvidia-fabricmanager-450       | Fabric Manager for NVSwitch based systems                             | pacote
      | nvidia-fabricmanager-455       | Fabric Manager for NVSwitch based systems                             | pacote
      | nvidia-fabricmanager-460       | Fabric Manager for NVSwitch based systems                             | pacote
      | nvidia-fabricmanager-devel-450 | Fabric Manager API headers and associated library                     | pacote
      | nvidia-fabricmanager-devel-455 | Fabric Manager API headers and associated library                     | pacote
      | nvidia-fabricmanager-devel-460 | Fabric Manager API headers and associated library                     | pacote
      | nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default      | NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 400 series and newer | pacote
      | nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-preempt      | NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 400 series and newer | pacote
    i | nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-default      | NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 600 series and newer | pacote
      | nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-preempt      | NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 600 series and newer | pacote
      | nvidia-glG04                   | NVIDIA OpenGL libraries for OpenGL acceleration                       | pacote
    i | nvidia-glG05                   | NVIDIA OpenGL libraries for OpenGL acceleration                       | pacote
      | nvidia-texture-tools           | NVIDIA Texture Tools                                                  | pacote
      | pcp-pmda-nvidia-gpu            | Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) metrics for the Nvidia GPU                 | pacote
      | skelcd-EULA-NVIDIA-compute     | EULA for media                                                        | pacote
      | x11-video-nvidiaG04            | NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 400 series and newer               | pacote
    i | x11-video-nvidiaG05            | NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 600 series and newer               | pacote
    Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    Also, bumblebee does work with CUDA, you just operate it with "optirun" before executing the cuda-compiled executable. You don't need anything anything special for compiling with NVCC
    I was expecting that for running since I've already made bumblebee work in 15.1 (without cuda however). I'll have more questions when compilation is needed...

Can you also show
    Code:
    dmesg |grep -i nvidia
    to see if there are any complaints on Nvidia drivers on boot? Also, you need to make sure that your kernel version is matching with bumblebee.
    It gave me the following output:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i nvidia
    [   23.172452] audit: type=1400 audit(1608399795.195:4): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=1170 comm="apparmor_parser"
    [   23.172453] audit: type=1400 audit(1608399795.195:5): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe//kmod" pid=1170 comm="apparmor_parser"
    There may be a simple issue with the load state in the configuration in your /etc/modprobe.d/50-bbswitch.conf

Code:
    options bbswitch load_state=-1 unload_state=1

try load state 0 as well. Default is 0, -1 works for all of my Lenovos+Alienware.
    Have tried in previous installations, but I will give it a try again (as soon as the /home restoration from backup ends) and come back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    With suse-prime only requires logout/login, switcheroo and offload no ... In the GNOME DE, switcheroo offers a menu option to use the discrete card as well as command line... yes it works with cuda if installed/present..

Code:
     switcherooctl launch glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics P4000 (IVB GT2)

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
    Code:
    switcherooctl launch nvidia-settings

Thanks for the instructions on switcheroo, have no idea it would work so much better than suse-prime.

Those snapshots are almost a tutorial....

Do you know where I could find similar instructions for offload? The link previously provided seems a bit "nvidia inner workings", and I could not find anything as good on searches.

Thanks a lot!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the instructions on switcheroo, have no idea it would work so much better than suse-prime.

Those snapshots are almost a tutorial....

Do you know where I could find similar instructions for offload? The link previously provided seems a bit "nvidia inner workings", and I could not find anything as good on searches.

Thanks a lot!
    Hi
    Have a read here (There are some more posts, use advanced forum search, offload in the last three months)

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...s-(AMD-Nvidia)

What I did was create an alias to start from the command line, but no reason it can't be scripted and create a desktop menu item to start a particular application. So many ways to do things in linux

Some applications should just use the card if it's there, eg blender(?) I just start it here and it sees the card.

One note though, I run Tumbleweed, this is a desktop, not a laptop, my laptop with dual graphics is all AMD...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast