Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update Virtualbox conflicts with Virtualbox ...

Hybrid View

Default Update Virtualbox conflicts with Virtualbox ...

I use the normal Oracle VirtualBox from the openSUSE Leap 15.2 's repo. Suddenly, updating virtualbox becomes impossible:
    patchpenSUSE-2020-2262-1.noarch conflicts with virtualbox-kmp-default.x86_64
    This happens in Leap 15.2 Host AND ALSO in Leap 15.2 guest ...
    Is this an error with the openSUSE updaters? Will it be solved that way, in a few days?
    Or do I have to do something ...
    Or will Virtualbox be confined to its present state ...
    Thanks for helping me out!

Default Re: Update Virtualbox conflicts with Virtualbox ...

I uninstalled the whole virtualbox, I reinstalled it, and now Virtualbox gives this error :

supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.

I'm startled ...

PROBLEM SOLVED by restarting ... now I have the new VirtualBox 6.1.16 but I had to go through Yast software for it (could have done it with zypper up to) and choosing "option 1": install 6.1.16 and uninstall 6.1.14 ...

Default AW: Re: Update Virtualbox conflicts with Virtualbox ...

Quote Originally Posted by PolderPenguin View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED by restarting ... now I have the new VirtualBox 6.1.16 but I had to go through Yast software for it (could have done it with zypper up to) and choosing "option 1": install 6.1.16 and uninstall 6.1.14 ...
    Yes, there was a problem. Also when you update with zypper there was the preemt-kerenl installed with this update. Also an problem with virtualbox.

So everyone have to read carefully the update packages.

Exclamation Re: Update Virtualbox conflicts with Virtualbox ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Also when you update with zypper there was the preemt-kerenl installed with this update. Also an problem with virtualbox.
    I can reinforce this statement – check for the following:
    Code:
     > zypper search --installed-only kernel
    Repository-Daten werden geladen...
    Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...

S  | Name                  | Zusammenfassung                                                   | Typ
    ---+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+------
    i+ | kernel-default        | The Standard Kernel                                               | Paket
    i  | kernel-default-devel  | Development files necessary for building kernel modules           | Paket
    i  | kernel-devel          | Development files needed for building kernel modules              | Paket
    i+ | kernel-docs           | Kernel Documentation                                              | Paket
    i+ | kernel-firmware       | Firmwaredateien für den Linux-Kernel                              | Paket
    i  | kernel-macros         | RPM macros for building Kernel Module Packages                    | Paket
    i  | kernel-preempt        | Kernel with PREEMPT support                                       | Paket
    i  | kernel-preempt-devel  | Development files necessary for building kernel modules           | Paket
    i+ | kernel-source         | Die Quellen des Linux-Kernels                                     | Paket
    i+ | kernel-syms           | Kernel Symbol Versions (modversions)                              | Paket
    i  | nfs-kernel-server     | Support Utilities for Kernel nfsd                                 | Paket
    i  | purge-kernels-service | The service for removing old kernels when multiversion is enabled | Paket
     > 
     > zypper search --installed-only virtualbox
    Repository-Daten werden geladen...
    Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...

S  | Name                   | Zusammenfassung                    | Typ
    ---+------------------------+------------------------------------+------
    i+ | virtualbox             | VirtualBox is an Emulator          | Paket
    i+ | virtualbox-kmp-default | Kernel modules for VirtualBox      | Paket
    i+ | virtualbox-kmp-preempt | Kernel modules for VirtualBox      | Paket
    i+ | virtualbox-qt          | Qt GUI part for virtualbox         | Paket
    i  | virtualbox-websrv      | WebService GUI part for virtualbox | Paket
     >
    I thought that, “kernel-syms” caused this issue but, it may well be that, there are other issues here …

Some of my OpenSUSE user found no network and the default OS was now the kernel-preempt. I have helped over 100 folks move from Windows 8 and 10 to Opensuse - most have a Windows 10 image in virtualbox from the original disk install. I got quite a few calls about no network and errors. Everyone with no network had booted the kernel-preempt OS - the good news was the kernel-default was the 2nd entry on the grub menu - so booting that one and removing the kernel-preempt fixed all the issues.

I now recommend doing "zypper rm kernel-preempt" - It also removed virtualbox but I did a "zypper in virtualbox" to get it back.

Something is not right with the virtualbox in the repos as 6.1.16 still want virtualbox-kmp-default 6.1.14. - you have to force install the 6.1.16 to make it work.
    OpenSUSE 15.3 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, 11, Ubuntu MATE 20.04, OpenSUSE 15.3, Tumbleweed)
    Pi4 with OpenSUSE 15.3
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Default Re: AW: Re: Update Virtualbox conflicts with Virtualbox ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Yes, there was a problem. Also when you update with zypper there was the preemt-kerenl installed with this update. Also an problem with virtualbox.

So everyone have to read carefully the update packages.
    Just ran into the same problem. Is there already a bugzilla entry for this? I feel its worth one....

A similar thread here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...70#post2991070
    A manual, orderly update solved the problem here.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    A manual, orderly update solved the problem here.
    Yes, I can do a zypper up and the update works. But next time I see the same error when updating via the softwaremanagement icon.
    And I have no preempt kernel installed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast