How to set variety wallpaper changer with KDE

Hi,

I like the variety wallpaper changer and it doesn’t work with default kde config. It just gives an error message saying that it won’t work if gadgets are locked (and doesn’t work anyway even if they are not locked). It used to work on Solus linux, so I cheated and stealed their solution.

The correction is rather simple. Just add the qdbus command to make the wallpaper change possible with the actual script;

Here are the details :
1 - the script to change wallpaper is at : $HOME/.config/variety/scripts/set_wallpaper and the only reason it doesn’t work is because the qdbus executable doesn’t have the correct name.

With KDE you already have the package libqt5-qdbus installed and the following executable /usr/bin/qdbus-qt5 in place.
But in other OSes it seems it is called qdbus instead of qdbus-qt5.

As root create the following link to an alternate name : # ln -s /usr/bin/qdbus-qt5 /usr/bin/qdbus
And start variety or, if it is already started, right click on the icon and select “next” to switch to a new image now and it should work.

And voilà you have a functional “variety” now.
Now it would be great to correct it directly in the OpenSUSE libqt5-qdbus package.

Regards,
Bernard

Hi
Variety packager/maintainer here, I don’t use Plasma, but AFAIK, the variety script takes care of this (assuming your running variety 0.8.3)?

if command -v qdbus-qt5 &>/dev/null; then
            qdbus_command=qdbus-qt5
        else
            qdbus_command=qdbus
        fi

I would suggest an upstream bug report if it’s not working…

bt@linux-0rk5:~> rpm -q variety
variety-0.8.3-2.2.noarch

I don’t have this part of code you show in my version here. I installed variety some time ago but wasn’t able to use it.
Is the $HOME/.config/variety/scripts/* scripts would be updated if this code was changed afterwhile ?

Hi
Then I would report upstream… I see;

command -v qdbus-qt5

/usr/bin/qdbus-qt5

Hi
No you would need to update anything in your $HOME directory;

cp /usr/share/variety/scripts/* ~/.config/variety/scripts/

In the meantime also updated variety, will take a few days or so to filter through…

Ref: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/856258

That was the problem. I Had installed variety 0.7.1-1.5 in july 2019 and didn’t know I had to update those scripts.

So eveything is ok with variety. It is only me ignorant about thoses scripts!
May be a message to the users or to the admin would be a good thing when these scripts are upgraded would be welcome.

Sorry for the noise.

Bernard

Hi
Not at all, hopefully users will come across your post and be able to sort the issue out if they strike it :slight_smile: