Thread: Boot fails in initrd after tumbleweed update

Default Boot fails in initrd after tumbleweed update

Hello,

It's been a long time since I last updated my tumbleweed installation, but I wanted to switch to the last version of "Freecad" software, so I done a zypper dup some days ago.
    Everything goes well, except the system now fails to boot normally.

The problem seems to come from the initrd startup phase, there is a error :

Failed to start Rule-based Manager for Device Events and Files... (can't post a screen capture ?)

After this, the system fails (timeout) on :

Waiting for root device PARTUUID...

I checked, the partuuid the initrd is waiting for as root partition is the good value.
    I think because of the first error, the initrd system doesn't detect my /dev/sda1 as root partition, and can't mount it and jump on it.

Trying to boot with the previous kernel gives the same problem.

Fortunately I finally found a workaround to be able to boot my computer, during grub bootspash, I press "E" to edit the boot parameters and :
    - I remove the line "initrd /boot/initrd-5.9.8-2-default" to not use initrd at all
    - I replace the kernel parameter root=UUID=....... by root=/dev/sda1 (my root partition)

Now I have a solution to have my computer working, I want to try to fix this problem, any idea from where it can come from ?

Because I think it's an initrd problem, I tried to rebuild it manually with the "mkinitrd" command, but it fails :

Code:
    dracut: dracut module 'rngd' will not be installed, because command 'rngd' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'nvmf' will not be installed, because command 'nvme' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
    dracut: memstrack is not available
    dracut: If you need to use rd.memdebug>=4, please install memstrack
    dracut: dracut module 'rngd' will not be installed, because command 'rngd' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'nvmf' will not be installed, because command 'nvme' could not be found!
    dracut: memstrack is not available
    dracut: If you need to use rd.memdebug>=4, please install memstrack
    dracut: *** Including module: bash ***
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/bin/../usr/bin/bash'
    dracut-install: ERROR: installing '/bin/bash'
    dracut: FAILED: /usr/lib/dracut/dracut-install -D /var/tmp/dracut.GfdBjh/initramfs -l /bin/bash
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd ***
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-debug-generator'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-reply-password'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-fsck'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/../../bin/udevadm'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sysctl'
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load'
    Maybe the problem is here, the initrd is not correct ? I googled this initrd build problem but I don't find anything

Regards
    Cyril

Default Re: Boot fails in initrd after tumbleweed update

Quote Originally Posted by nlc View Post
    Code:
    dracut-install: ERROR: failed to install '/lib/$LIB/liblsp.so' for '/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-debug-generator'
    I googled this initrd build problem but I don't find anything
    The first two hits in Google both agree that this problem is caused by package Astrill which seems to force preload of this library.

Astrill is actually not installed on my computer, but I installed it last year when I was in China.
    So I done a grep to find if "liblsp.so" was stored somewhere, and yes it was in file /etc/ld.so.preload
    I removed it, and now mkinitrd works, I reinstalled grub 2, and now computer boots normally, perfect !
    Thank you very much arvidjaar

No way to edit my message title to add [solved] inside ?

Quote Originally Posted by nlc View Post
    No way to edit my message title to add [solved] inside ?
    Not needed. You Joy will tell everybody it is solved.
    Henk van Velden