Thread: Kernel 5.9.10-1-default - Desaturate Unresponsive Applications - When I close SeaMonkey Down

Default Kernel 5.9.10-1-default - Desaturate Unresponsive Applications - When I close SeaMonkey Down

Kernel 5.9.10-1-default - Desaturate Unresponsive Applications - When I close SeaMonkey Down:

I have taken the usual normal route of upgrading - I have been taken to Kernel 5.9.10-1-default

So far, I have not personally experienced any of the X11 Server desktop lockups on my Intel PC that i had on earlier kernel v5.9 releases
    However, i am wondering if - maybe - this second issue could be related ?
    I use the browser SeaMonkey, and while i often have at least 100 TABs open, and email checks running in the background on at least 10
    different emails address'es - my ability to quickly close seamonkey down efficiency (window close button in top right-hand corner) has always been just fine

however, on both kernel v5.9 and now 5.9.10-1-default is that Im getting the desktop effect called "Desaturate Unresponsive Applications"
    almost all the time, now whenever i close seamonkey, along with a small windows asking me if i want to quit or wait for the app to respond

Seamonkey is constantly updated as well - so i do keep that in mind

Im proposing the idea that maybe there is/are some issues of degraded efficiency within code in either the kernel and/or some of the other system packages that
    get updated - inefficiencys that perhaps could cause these side effects of inefficiency of apps (in my case seamonkey) and a timing issue which ends up resulting in a desktop freeze
    vis [opensuse-factory] Re: Random desktop lockups with kernel 5.9.x

The recommendation was to make the un-responsive app a separate issue

Ben

Default Re: Kernel 5.9.10-1-default - Desaturate Unresponsive Applications - When I close SeaMonkey Down

Quote Originally Posted by CatMan View Post
    I have taken the usual normal route of upgrading - I have been taken to Kernel 5.9.10-1-default
    I do not quite understand this. I just checked and 5.3.18-lp152.50-default is the current kernel for 15.2.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Kernel 5.9.10-1-default - Desaturate Unresponsive Applications - When I close SeaMonkey Down

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not quite understand this. I just checked and 5.3.18-lp152.50-default is the current kernel for 15.2.
    Are you sure you're commenting in the right thread? Subject for thread is about Tumbleweed, not Leap 15.2.

Quote Originally Posted by aggplanta View Post
    Are you sure you're commenting in the right thread? Subject for thread is about Tumbleweed, not Leap 15.2.
    You are correct, I missed that. Im am sorry for that. Skip it!

I might be triggered by your expression "I have taken the usual normal route of upgrading" which is quite long, and tells us that you think that what you did is "usual" and "normal", but does not really tell us what you did. I hope "zypper dup".
    Henk van Velden

Hi Ben,

seems like you strain your system significantly. Sounds common to me.. Here, my common setup is based on about 30+ FF windows, that easily head to 300+ targets, have VMs running on a regular base, build all kinds of packages, Blender, you name it...

Just an idea for getting another data point: I build openSUSE stable kernels (5.9.x) with a few small, but significant scheduler parameter changes here: https://build.opensuse.org/project/m...rispete:kernel, target: openSUSE_Tumbleweed_Kernel_stable. The build is based on https://github.com/frispete/kernel-source/tree/stable.

In short, it creates a new kernel flavor: preempt.

Code:
    zyp ar -f https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/frispete:/kernel/openSUSE_Tumbleweed_Kernel_stable/home:frispete:kernel.repo
    zyp in kernel-preempt
    should do the trick. Since TW isn't tested well with multiple kernel flavors, make sure, you're running the -preempt flavor after reboot. The installation order is decisive. If this flavor makes a difference, it's scheduler related, otherwise a changed lock/syscall behavior might be the culprit.

Blog Entries

What is input/output from running the following in an Xterm or Konsole?:
    Code:
    inxi -SGay
    If you don't get an inxi not found error, and do get an error about the -a or -y switch, try again with -xx instead of -ay, or upgrade inxi to the upstream version (-U switch will update the box stock version) placed in /usr/local/bin/.

I was having random unresponsiveness in SM when I had compositing enabled for a test. Re-disabling it helped a lot, as did closing 60-80 tabs that had been open for weeks, months or years, cutting my total to under 100.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1, TW, 15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,iQ45,iQ43,iG41,iG3X,i965G,AMD,NVidia&&&