Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vim Syntax Highlighting Broken after Upgrade

Question Re: Vim Syntax Highlighting Broken after Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by kulisics View Post
    I just ran a package upgrade with zypper, and when everything finished, I used vim and found that the syntax highlighting no longer works. I force reinstalled vim, vim-data, and vim-common, and the reinstallations did not fix the problem.
    The file ‘/etc/vimrc’ is indeed supplied with the “vim” package and, it's dated “2017/04/28” – the 28th of April 2017 – and, it's maintained by SUSE staff members …
    • The patch installed in August this year on this system …

Did the patch create an “.rpmsave” or “.rpmnew” version of the configuration file?

• BTW, I find that, syntax highlighting is one of the more useful items in this modern world – it helps to avoid errors due to the wrong “Type” [in the sense of a Data “type” or Object “type”] being inadvertently used – but, that's only a personal opinion …
    • I also find that, the Lilypond syntax highlighting for Vim helps with music engraving – the production of sheet music – which is a little bit like programming but, somewhat more artistic – “Gödel, Escher and, Bach” …

Cool Re: Vim Syntax Highlighting Broken after Upgrade

@kulisics:

Just noticed, an optional patch on today's list: openSUSE-2020-2068 –
    This update for vim doesn't fix any user visible issues and it is optional to install.

- Introduce vim-small package with reduced requirements for small installations (bsc#1166602).
    - Stop owning /etc/vimrc so the old, distro provided config actually gets removed.
    - Own some dirs in vim-data-common so installation of vim-small doesn't leave not owned directories. (bsc#1173256)
    - Add vi as slave to update-alternatives so that every package has a matching "vi" symlink. (bsc#1174564, bsc#1176549)

This update was imported from the SUSE:SLE-15:Update update project.
    Meaning that, the “syntax on” in the SUSE maintained ‘/etc/vimrc’ will disappear – if this optional patch is installed …

Default Re: Vim Syntax Highlighting Broken after Upgrade

IMHO that is the one we are talking about all the time.

Mark that is says ".... doesn't fix any user visible issues...." And no, it does not fix them, it introduces at least one.

Also, when I read what follows I get the strong idea that it is something very much internal to the product that needs some cleaning up. Nothing that warns you, innocent system manager, let alone, the still simpler user, of a change in his day to day scores.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It has been on by default with "xterm" too. I know, because I mainly use "xterm" as a terminal and the annoying syntax highlighting shows up there (until I worked out how to turn it off).
    I'm still not seeing any syntax highlighting in any of my terminal emulators by default.

What code are you testing?
    I've been primarily testing HTML and seeing no colors in xterm, LXterminal and Qterminal.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I'm still not seeing any syntax highlighting in any of my terminal emulators by default.

What code are you testing?
    I've been primarily testing HTML and seeing no colors in xterm, LXterminal and Qterminal.
    After the last vim update, you won't see them unless you turn them on.

I just logged into Leap 15.1, which I have not recently updated. So "/etc/vimrc" still exists there.

I renamed my own ".vimrc" to ".vimrc.old" so that wouldn't affect anything.

Using "xterm" I edited a shell script and saw syntax highlighting.

I then tried editing "/usr/share/doc/release-notes/openSUSE/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html" which is an html file. And that, too, showed syntax highlighting in hard-to-read colors.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Tsu, run “vimtutor” – down near the end, section 7 …
    • BTW, $VIMRUNTIME is set from within the Vim session – it ain't set at the terminal's login …

For me, within Vim – “:sh” and then “echo $VIMRUNTIME” – it points to ‘/usr/share/vim/vim80’ – which is also ‘/usr/share/vim/current’ …

1. For me, the user “root” (not “sudo” but, “su --login”) has syntax highlighting – without a “~/.vimrc” file …
    2. Either, copying ‘/usr/share/vim/vim80/vimrc_example.vim’ to ‘~/.vmirc’ or, doing “the Vim way” – for a non-existent ‘~/.vimrc’ – “vi ~/.vmrc” and then “:r $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim” and then either “:w” or “ZZ” – works just fine …

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12