Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I figure out tumbleweed lag issues?

Question How can I figure out tumbleweed lag issues?

Long story short, I installed Tumbleweed two days ago after ditrso hopping for a bit. Every distro I tried either feels laggy or starts to feel laggy after a couple of application installs. I'm using a ThinkPad T460s with 20GB of ram and 256GB of Samsung 960 SSD and my Windows experience is much smoother. I don't understand why specially since system monitor shows I'm using WAY LESS resources compared to when I was using windows.

My biggest gripes are "random freezes" that last for a couple of seconds and lag when using my browsers (chromium and firefox although chromium is just a bit better possibly due to hardware acceleration?)

I have a bunch of other issues with Tumbleweed but wanna keep this thread related to the lag issues. Can someone help a newbie figure this out ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How can I figure out tumbleweed lag issues?

Laggy when using browsers can be due to poor DNS response, poor network latency, the use of CGNAT.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Laggy when using browsers can be due to poor DNS response, poor network latency, the use of CGNAT.
    I don't think so since windows is doing fine. Unless DNS settings somehow get messed up with Linux ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sevshelby View Post
    I don't think so since windows is doing fine. Unless DNS settings somehow get messed up with Linux ?
    Does this just manifest when playing video via browsers, downloading and waiting for web-pages to render, or something else?
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 23-Nov-2020 at 17:03.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Graphics card details?
    Code:
    inxi -Gxx

Blog Entries

KISS works best. Try https://en.opensuse.org/Network_Management_With_Systemd You will get fast startup and high reliability. No issues whatsoever on all of my machines running the following:
    Code:
    3400G:~ # os-prober 
    /dev/sda2:openSUSE Tumbleweed:openSUSE:linux 
    /dev/sda4:Fedora 32 (Workstation Edition):Fedora:linux 
    /dev/sda5:Manjaro Linux (20.2):ManjaroLinux:linux 
    /dev/sda7:openSUSE Tumbleweed:openSUSE:linux:btrfs:UUID=5a624d1b-91e3-41eb-b47e-d87683066be5:subvol=@/.snapshots/1/snapshot 
    /dev/sda8:openSUSE Leap 15.2:openSUSE:linux:btrfs:UUID=7798d9ae-137c-4b29-8156-666d4574bd7f:subvol=@ 
    /dev/sda9:CentOS Linux 8 (Core):CentOS:linux 
    /dev/sdb2:openSUSE Tumbleweed:openSUSE:linux:btrfs:UUID=10726d74-53da-41e8-a3ed-7af130722783:subvol=@/.snapshots/20/snapshot 
    /dev/sdc3@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi 
    3400G:~ #

AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Does this just manifest when playing video via browsers, downloading and waiting for web-pages to render, or something else?
    The lag happens mostly in browsers and mostly when a video is being played. (issues 1)

The freezing issues happen while using the desktop environment. Sometimes the background of my second external monitor and the login background randomly disappear as well. (issue 2. and 3?)

Blog Entries

The lag happens mostly in browsers and mostly when a video is being played. (issues 1)

The freezing issues happen while using the desktop environment. Sometimes the background of my second external monitor and the login background randomly disappear as well. (issue 2. and 3?)
    Right, so likely graphics-related. Please post the graphics card details as already requested. Which desktop environment are you using?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    KISS works best. Try https://en.opensuse.org/Network_Management_With_Systemd You will get fast startup and high reliability. No issues whatsoever on all of my machines running the following:
    I fail to see how this is relevant in any way to the OP's issue. (In any case the chosen network management framework is a personal choice and should have no bearing on network performance.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I fail to see how this is relevant in any way to the OP's issue.
    The OP says:

#1: I have a bunch of other issues with Tumbleweed but wanna keep this thread related to the lag issues. Can someone help a newbie figure this out ?

#3: I don't think so since windows is doing fine. Unless DNS settings somehow get messed up with Linux ?
    In any case the chosen network management framework is a personal choice and should have no bearing on network performance.
    It shouldn't, but it does. Both NetworkManager and wicked render the router confused when booting different operating systems. Wicked failed on resuming from suspend to RAM once in 20 times. More trouble with /etc/resolv.conf. Thus I switched to networkd / resolved using static hostnames and DHCP which did not fail since switching. Both DHCP and DNS now work trouble-free.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast